Question about oxygen cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jondjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Strange question maybe? Sorry but I'm still new. With that said I was just sitting here wondering if a portable oxygen tank like one carried by people with respiratory problems can be used for scuba diving? Understanding that they are generally much smaller than the standard tank, I was thinking maybe like for a pony bottle or something

it's possible, but adapting regulators for it is quite difficult. Medical O2 regulators aren't up to the flow rates required for scuba diving. They're also really low pressure by diving standards since they are intended for O2 use, so your weight:gas ratio is really wonky

Thank you kindly. I google searched it before I asked here and couldn't seem to find any info. This answers my question! Thanks again

You could but you would have to replace the valve. I have a medical size E oxygen tank I put a scuba valve on.

You wouldn't want to use 100% O2 as a pony bottle but they do make scuba cylinders as small as 3cf I think. For a pony you probably want at least a 19cf if not a 40cf and then when you are ready to use 100% for deco you can have them O2 cleaned and use them. Not to mention if you watch the classifieds you can find them used usually for about half of what they'd cost new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom