Question about Oceanic gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maximillion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I posted this in the Oceanic Forum but got no answer - thought I'd give it a whirl here. Real question is about suitability, warranty issues buying online, also the computer I'm looking at is no longer in the current catelogue, although it is new still and sold regularly still. Any issues witht hese things you care to share would be appreciated!

-------- original post

Hello!

I'm looking at a relatively inexpensive combination of a reliable reg that will serve my recreational (less than 100', warmer than 55 degree water) purposes - I dive about 7 - 8 times a year. As well, a first shot at a computer - entry level, basic functions sort of thing, but something that will work to give me a more accurate picture of my dives, bottom time, stops, nitrogen loading, etc, etc.

I am considering the Alpha-8 / PX3 pairing along with a Veo 100 Tripple Navcon setup I can get on a well kown internet site.

Two questions: Are your oceanic products warrantied if purchased through such websites (Leisurepro, for instance); and second, what are your thoughts on this pairing for a guy with my dive requirements. i dive mostly waters off the mid-Atlantic coast, 55 - 70 degrees, 50 - 80 feet and salty.

Appreciate the feedback.

Since when is the Veo100 not in the catalogue.Oceanic Worldwide - Personal Dive Computers - Veo 100 Nx
Unless you realy mean the old 100 and not the 100nx.
The 100 has been on sale for a VERY short time and replaced very quickly with the 100nx.
AFAIK when you by from Scubatoys there's no issue with warrenty.
LP might be a problem,but they have some kind of inhouse system.

As for the reg.I would go for the Delta or Eos,both CDX5 and FDX10 are very good 1st stages.

Hope it helps some.:)

if you buy it through an authorized Oceanic dealer, it should be warrantied regardless of where you buy it online or in a LDS..

Leisure Pro is an authorized Oceanic Dealer
see Authorized Dealer Locator - Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear

you can check other dealers to see if they are at the Oceanic website.

However, make sure that you get the "ALLIANCE SERVICE AGREEMENT" cards from the selling online company. You'll need that for the "Free parts" warranty in getting your reg serviced. This post has some good info about that Alliance Service Agreement. see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4406469-post12.html

also note that not all Oceanic dealers are required to honor this program. It's for "participating dealers" (which I think is a little of a scam that Oceanic doesn't require all authorized dealers to give the same level of warranty care).

Check with your LDS first and see if they can meet the price. that way if you have an issue with the product you can deal directly with them without any hassles by them. (If they don't meet the price and are way off, then vote with your wallet if you need to.)

Great advice - thanks all. And yes, I was referring to the original VEO 100, not the NX version. I have no real plans of diving Nitrox, so I was going to go for the $150 cheaper original. Not sure I can justify the added cost.

I'd heard that LP is now an authorized Oceanic Dealer. Here they are listed on Oceanic's website:
Authorized Dealer Locator - Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear

Hard to imagine there's an Oceanic warranty issue there.

some dealers are just bull headed and hate that someone bought a reg online and not from their shop.

there have been instances where they didn't honor the "free parts" warranty in this case.

Of course it's completely optional for dealers to participate in this program unless they are the "selling dealer". but I call bull-sh** that Oceanic doesn't make it a requirement. It's bad for their brand, it's bad for the LDS, and it's bad for the consumer who might not buy their gear anymore. :shakehead:

Follow-up:

I stopped in to my LDS on Monday afternoon, just out of curiosity to see what they would do for me on this package (as stated, the Oceanic Alpha 8 / PX3 with DVT, and a VEO 100 Triple Naviconsole w/compas computer and gagues). They were able to MATCH Leisure Pro prices for me! I was appreciative of that for a couple of reasons - foremost, I know them and can get to them for warranty issues as needed (they are a "Mega" Oceanic Dealer and I get an extended 5 year warranty), and they are, in fact a Local dive shop who I help keep in business by making my purchase there. As well, I become a known customer and will get other deals with and through them, etc.

Understand, I am normally one who will go online and get the price I seek in most all cases, but in this case, it worked out for the best, and I got my price while also supporting my LDS. A win for both of us.

MAXIMILLION

Let me just say that Oceanic has treated me and my wife very well as it relates to customer service. Give them a call and they are really helpful and really do desire to make you happy with their gear.

I agree with Teamcasa....Oceanic customer service is great. I currently use the FDX10 first stage and is great in cold water. Down to 42 degrees with no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom