Question about long primary hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GetNarc'd

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I almost feel stupid for asking something like this, but here goes..

Let's assume i'm referring to a 7' primary, not a 5' or any shorter variation. Is there ever any, or fear of any issue of the hose getting caught upon an OOA donation? Some thoughts that come to mind are the lip of a helmet (if worn), or a head mounted light system.

GetNarc'd:
I almost feel stupid for asking something like this, but here goes..

Let's assume i'm referring to a 7' primary, not a 5' or any shorter variation. Is there ever any, or fear of any issue of the hose getting caught upon an OOA donation? Some thoughts that come to mind are the lip of a helmet (if worn), or a head mounted light system.

This is one of the major reasons why snorkles, helmets and head mounted light systems are usually not worn.

KMD:
This is one of the major reasons why snorkles, helmets and head mounted light systems are usually not worn.

I wasn't even thinking about something as obvious as a snorkel. Even goggles if the divers head isn't facing the donee when pulling the primary slack up. This is probably a reason why some don't find the DIR method conducive to wrecks. Too many hanging objects to catch the primary hose.

I believe you may be misinformed.

The long hose routes beneath the light cannister on the right rear, up across the chest, around the neck and into the mouth from the right. At no time is a properly routed 7' hose at risk of becoming caught up in potential entanglements dangling inside a wreck.

A manifold, perhaps? Possibly.

A long hose routed against the diver's body? No.

Doc Intrepid:
I believe you may be misinformed.

The long hose routes beneath the light cannister on the right rear, up across the chest, around the neck and into the mouth from the right. At no time is a properly routed 7' hose at risk of becoming caught up in potential entanglements dangling inside a wreck.

A manifold, perhaps? Possibly.

A long hose routed against the diver's body? No.

Misinformed no, ASSuming yes. I'm just going by pictures of divers who route their hoses as such and seemed like there were a few inches between the hose and the divers gear/suit/body.

I'll keep going on the presumption that you aren't trolling in the DIR forum...

The hose floats and is snug with the body when in a prone position.

If you're in the proper position (layed out horizontal) for deco and diving in general, the long hose will float up against your body and won't be flying in the breeze so to speak.
I dive a long hose open water, wreck or whatever, mainly 'cause I'm too lazy to change to a shorter one. So what, I can handle the extra inches.

GetNarc'd:
Some thoughts that come to mind are the lip of a helmet (if worn), or a head mounted light system.

DIR divers don't dive with helmets or head mounted light systems, so unless someone is a reformed helmet diver, I doubt anyone in the DIR forum will be able to help you with that. I could foresee potential problems deploying the hose with that equipment configuration, though.

GetNarc'd:
Even goggles if the divers head isn't facing the donee when pulling the primary slack up.

In practice, this is not a problem.

This is probably a reason why some don't find the DIR method conducive to wrecks. Too many hanging objects to catch the primary hose.

The long hose configuration is far more streamlined than any other. Everything is tight to your body with no loopdeloops sticking out to snag on things. Those that find the DIR method not conducive to wrecks clearly do not understand the DIR method or just simply choose not to use it.

rjack321:
I'll keep going on the presumption that you aren't trolling

:confused: I'm not familiar with the term, but have heard it before on here. I'm asknig questions because I want to know. As I said in another thread, I'm a beginning diver in all aspects and now that i have a good grip on my bouyancy I'm looking to change my rig around to something that suits me best, as I'll be diving it for the rest of my life (hopefully!). i don't like the unecessary attributes of BC's in general, and i'm really intrigued by DIR theory.

Soggy:
In practice, this is not a problem.

It's as simple as saying THAT because, my questions are from a non-practicing point of view when it comes to DIR.

The long hose configuration is far more streamlined than any other. Everything is tight to your body with no loopdeloops sticking out to snag on things. Those that find the DIR method not conducive to wrecks clearly do not understand the DIR method or just simply choose not to use it.

Okay good. I want to say that most of my questions are a result of talking to my LDS. Although i'm pretty good friends with the owner, he has some opinions that I don't completely agree with. I've been asking him about different DIR methods and his thoughts on them (i think the more points of view the better) and he's mentioned these questions/arguments.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom