Question about first stage failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to decide if the cost and hassle of a pony (as well as the training to use it) is worth the reduction in risk. It doesn't sound like there was a whole lot I could do to prevent this from happening - I just could have stayed closer to my buddy, as my training dictated.
Uh, I carry a Pony, but I don't recommend it. Good buddy skills! :thumb:

reiter.gif

DandyDon:
Uh, I carry a Pony, but I don't recommend it. Good buddy skills! :thumb:

reiter.gif

Why? I understand the cost issues, as well as the added weight and potential hassle. What else am I overlooking? The idea of being able to reach over and grab a completely independant air system is ... soothing. :)

Is it your opinion that ponies are only for overhead environments or other more difficult diving?

JBowl0101:
Why? I understand the cost issues, as well as the added weight and potential hassle. What else am I overlooking? The idea of being able to reach over and grab a completely independant air system is ... soothing. :)

Is it your opinion that ponies are only for overhead environments or other more difficult diving?

The key to surviving an OOA situation is planned redundancy. After you have taken all the reasonable steps to avoid such a situation. You have already learned that good diving practices can minimize the possibility of OOA but not eliminate. Unlike most, you have also learned you can handle it fairly well - good job.

Best redundency you can get is a good, reliable buddy. It's like having a pony bottle with a brain and much more. If such a buddy is not possible; single diver, solo diver, bad buddy, whatever; then a pony is another option. Really soothing is a good buddy for not just OOA but a myriad of other problems that can crop up.

awap:
Best redundency you can get is a good, reliable buddy. It's like having a pony bottle with a brain and much more.
Very good point.

Willie

wedivebc:
Why would you suddenly have no air? I can can tell from experience it take a couple of minutes to completey drain a full tank with a blown o-ring. A partial tank would take less time but it would not be immediate.

Read about it in another SB thread. As soon as his o'ring blew he could not draw any air. I would assume because the escaping air was not able to be drawn thru the reg.

The idea of being able to reach over and grab a completely independant air system is ... soothing.

I agree, and you found out that a true emergency ascent from less than 50 ft was not trivial

It occurred to me that I should clarify that I DON'T consider this to be the fault of the dive operator - I was very happy with the diving and the service they provided. The other divers who rented gear from them had absolutely zero problems with them, so I did not want to imply that they run an unsafe operation. The failure occurred while I was using MY gear, not thiers, with the exception of the cylinder. If fault is to be assigned, it is squarely with ME, for leaving my buddy.

I dove with them again a day later, on their rental gear, and had a wonderful time.

I certainly don't wish to discourage anyone from diving there. It was a fantastic trip, and I'm going back in August. :)

S happens. Fault is not the primary issue. Survival is. Be prepared & enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom