Question about first stage failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBowl0101

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all:

I had an incident on one of my first few open water dives after certification, and I'd like your input on it. I will attempt to keep the background information brief.

I'm a new diver, certified last summer. After certification some friends and I went to Grand Bahama to dive. I carried with me a Zeagle regulator/octopus/computer setup to avoid renting. They are owned by a family member, a Lake Erie diver, who told me they had been overhauled 6 months prior, and then stored.

On our third dive of the trip, second of the day, I was at 45 feet with 800 psi reading on the tank. I had been watching the digital gauge closely (new diver paranoia). We were diving a shallow wreck directly below the dive boat, and our DM told us to just ascend when we got to our comfortable air point. This appeared to be the custom down there, despite my training, so I did it. (won't make THAT mistake again).

I signalled the DM I was heading up, and swam over to the line about 50-70 feet away. As I was starting to set my bouyancy for a slow ascent, my air abrubtly shut off. There was no gradual decline that I noticed - it was there one breath and gone the next. I immediately switched to my octopus, and after purging it, it didn't work either. I judged that the surface was closer than any other diver, and did a FAST swimming ascent.

Back on the boat, we found salt caked on the filter in the first stage. The regs worked on the surface. We surmised that a leak in the regs had allowed salt water to enter, which then evaporated on the filter. The lower pressure at the surface allowed operation there, but not at depth.

Scared the crap out of me. The ascent from 40 feet was not real difficult, but if had happened earlier in the day at 85, I might have croaked. I dove again a couple days later, on rental gear, and had a great time motoring around at 35 feet, but the idea of deeper dives worries me a bit now. Obviously, I learned my lesson about never leaving my buddy, but even still, if my buddy is swimming after a fish or something I have to catch him.

How often, really, does equipment failure of this nature occur? Most people don't use a pony setup for 60 foot tropical dives, but I'm no longer quite as trusting of the equipment now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Not that often and I don't think the salt caused the problem but I could be wrong....

Highly unlikely that salt crept into the reg while attached to a tank. If there was 800psi at the tank there was 14.7 psi at 33 feet. Certainly air would leak out not the other way. Any salt would be the result of poor maintenance prior to the dive or between dives. Have them serviced and try to keep the dust cap on when not in use. Rinse them in fresh water immediately after the dive. If you are sure the salt got there after you started using the reg then I would look inside the tank you were using. It is the only other way salt can get inside an in use reg that I know of.

I would be very interested in knowing what else could cause it, including specifics about my own screwups. I know for a fact the tank was fully open. Are there other things I might have done to induce it? I welcome criticism or suggestions.

wedivebc:
Highly unlikely that salt crept into the reg while attached to a tank. If there was 800psi at the tank there was 14.7 psi at 33 feet. Certainly air would leak out not the other way. Any salt would be the result of poor maintenance prior to the dive or between dives. Have them serviced and try to keep the dust cap on when not in use. Rinse them in fresh water immediately after the dive. If you are sure the salt got there after you started using the reg then I would look inside the tank you were using. It is the only other way salt can get inside an in use reg that I know of.

Thank you both for your feedback. I did rinse the gear between dives each time.

I had not considered the tank. It was a rental.

Also - if it was not the salt, what else could cause a failure that closed it off? I was under the impression they were designed to fail open.

Cerich would know a lot more than I would on this. While salt in the first stage may not have caused the problem, it could be reflective of other problems...?

I own my own regs, know well the Tech who services them, and I test & review the work with him after it's done every year. I can see where borrowing a reg "owned by a family member, a Lake Erie diver, who told me they had been overhauled 6 months prior, and then stored" would seem safe enough, and I'm happy you were not injured, but I think you'd be more secure owning your own.

I've seen something happen several times. You cut your tank on to make ready for your dive. "Someone" i.e. DM, buddy, etc comes along and "helps" you by turning your tank "on" which is actually off. If that person follows protocol, they would have turned it off , then cracked it back on to "unseat the valve" as it is taught. The reg would breathe normally at the surface, but not at depth.

SKBRDVR1:
I've seen something happen several times. You cut your tank on to make ready for your dive. "Someone" i.e. DM, buddy, etc comes along and "helps" you by turning your tank "on" which is actually off. If that person follows protocol, they would have turned it off , then cracked it back on to "unseat the valve" as it is taught. The reg would breathe normally at the surface, but not at depth.

Thank you all. I have indeed considered buying my own rig - the alternative, renting regs from the dive shop - bothers me. Who knows who's maintaining them.

So the consensus seems to be the a first stage just flat out breaking is very rare? That me not rinsing the gear well enough, or the air getting turned down was a likely cause?

JBowl0101:
Thank you both for your feedback. I did rinse the gear between dives each time.

I had not considered the tank. It was a rental.

Also - if it was not the salt, what else could cause a failure that closed it off? I was under the impression they were designed to fail open.
It is very rare for a diaphragm reg to fail completely closed. You did mention it was a Zeagle right? A piston reg might if it got dirt or corrosion around the piston.
I would go with gauge calibration too. Compare your tank reading to another gauge. Have your buddy hook up to your tank.
Although it is unusual for a tank to stop delivering air all of a sudden I suppose you just might not have noticed the work of breathing increasing.
BTW I don't think a pony bottle is a substitute for a well maintained reg, but if it gives you piece of mind then why not.

Back
Top Bottom