Question about dive log format for DM course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Protist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So when I was going through the different printing options for my electronic dive log I came across this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2696/4474165078_0a9938c397_b.jpg

I really like this format for my dive log over the traditional PADI logs.
My question is that when I eventually go for my PADI Dive Masters program, I need proof of my dives, will this format be acceptable for proof?

Thank-you.
:coffee:

You need to ask your potential instructor(s). Some instructors insist on seeing a paper dive log signed by your buddy. While I think that's silly, it's a requirement some have.

I handed in a hand-written list of dates and number of dives. I don't log anything, and was just pulling the last dives off my dive computer and writing down the very basics.

My CD accepted it.

*shrug*

Ok, thankyou. I'll send them an email then...

I had no problem with the instructor I trained with. He looked at my log and did not require signatures of dive buddies. An electronic log would have been adequate for him as well. However, I have spoken with a very active, we respected CD in the area about instructor training and they indicated that they wanted to see logged and signed dives to meet the # of dive requirement.

I handed in a hand-written list of dates and number of dives. I don't log anything, and was just pulling the last dives off my dive computer and writing down the very basics.

My CD accepted it.

*shrug*
what's your plans for the IDC/IE, better yet, what about applying for specialties?

BTW, I used to do the same, but now I know better & went back and logged everything in details.

My instructor never asked to see anything (yet)-maybe because I did a lot of other courses anyway. My instructor in FL never asked for it for MSD-said he just trusted me.

A dive log basically assumes the diver with the log is being honest about their dive history. No instructor could verify every dive from an unknown student is genuine, whether it be a signed paper log or a computer generated report.

Potentially, a diver might have bought a computer from somebody else, or they got a bunch of people in their local pub to sign a fake dive log.

I will accept proof of dives any which way they are brought to me - there has to be a certain amount of common sense and trust about the whole affair; at the end of the day if somebody is going to fake a dive log, they are cheating only themselves, and that's just silly.

I have encountered some liars and cheats - only a few out of thousands - and it was *really* obvious they were faking... so... it's just pointless.

Cheers

C.

A dive log basically assumes the diver with the log is being honest about their dive history. No instructor could verify every dive from an unknown student is genuine, whether it be a signed paper log or a computer generated report.

Potentially, a diver might have bought a computer from somebody else, or they got a bunch of people in their local pub to sign a fake dive log.

I will accept proof of dives any which way they are brought to me - there has to be a certain amount of common sense and trust about the whole affair; at the end of the day if somebody is going to fake a dive log, they are cheating only themselves, and that's just silly.

I have encountered some liars and cheats - only a few out of thousands - and it was *really* obvious they were faking... so... it's just pointless.

Cheers

C.

I agree with you Crowley. Someone can easily fake any type of log if they are that kind of person. IMO signatures on a log book don't make them any more of a valid record. They can easily be faked. However, since I have a very influential CD telling me they require signatures, I'm working to get them in case I decide to go that route.

See the way I look at it, is that this particular form of dive log has so much information, it would be very difficult to fake. For instance, it shows the graph of my dive profile(which i think is really cool). I just realized that my DS doesnt really check their email, and im on my way back to New Jersey today. So i will just continue what im doing and talk to them when I come back down in 3 months. And if they really want a signature, I'll have my dive buddy sit down and sign them all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom