Question about DFW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OSUcowboyinSPFD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I may have gotten myself in a bit of a pickle. We fly out of KC at 8:15 on Sunday, arriving at DFW at 10:00. Our connecting flight to Cozumel is at 10:40. American tells me a legal transfer at DFW is 35 minutes. My experience suggests this is possible, but it will be cutting it to the last possible second. The cost to change the flight to the 6:00 flight out of KC is $150 pp.

2 questions:

1) Is this connection possible? We both have a carry-on and personal item, and my wife is 15 weeks pregnant (I know, I caught ten layers of hell over this last night);

2) American tells me that, officially, you can't fly stand by on the earlier flight with international travel. But, the airport check-in people may allow it. Does anyone have any experience getting on an earlier flight with international travel? Particularly out of KC? Expedia says there are about 30-40 available seats.

Thanks, I would really like to avoid the $300 upgrade charge, if at all possible.

Possible, yes.
Likely, No. Any delay out of KC or into DFW will end the possibility. If you do still "go for it" do you like the idea of staying in DFW over night? That would be more costly than the earlier flight.

And even if you make it your luggage will likely miss the flight.

I hate to say it, but take the stress out of it and enjoy the trip, fly early.

Congrats on the diver(s) to be!

I can only help with your first question...

You should be able to make it but it will be tight. Assume that all your carry-on luggage will wind up under the seat in front of you - not in the overhead bins. So, pack accordingly. Plus you can get from gate to gate quicker with less to carry.

If you can, log into aa.com and get seats as close to the front of the plane as possible. This will get you off the plane in DFW quicker.

Odds are your flight to CZM will depart out of terminal D. On approach when the give you connecting gate info look at the terminal map in the magazine. Figure out where to get on the Skylink train - that will take you to your connecting terminal.

Personally, I avoid connections at DFW that are less than 60 minutes. Allows me enough time to visit the rest room and get to my gate before boarding starts.

- Mark

One other thought - you might want to let them know your wife is pregnant and you have a short connection time, and ask for airline transportation through to your next gate. If they provide the transport, they should get you off the plane quickly and whisk you through in time, and they'll also know you're on the way to the gate. Not sure if that would save the flight, but I would think you could make it that way, even if you're the last to board.

We had a 40 minute layover in DFW and made it without any problems. However, if our flight out of STL would have been even slightly delayed we would have been screwed. Did you book your flights through a third party or AA directly? From what I have been told, AA is under no obligation to rebook you on the next flight if booked through a third party. I agree with the post above and book the eairler flight. I have been stuck overnight at airports due to missed connections. When I add up the stress, time spent in lines with sir-hacks-alot behind me, time lost on vacation, an overnight stay in a roach motel, the $300 is definitely worth it!

I made a 45 min. connection there (flying American) a couple of weeks ago from STL with no problems. However, the short time did have me a bit on edge, though. I knew if there were any delays taking off I was screwed (to quote morecowbells :wink:) I had to change terminals, and the train did make that a lot quicker - although the signs to find it were a little confusing... (Dang, that airport is HUGE!) I did as others have suggested and got a seat as close to the front as possible to make sure I was one of the first ones to deplane. Luckily I made it with time to spare and all was well. I guess the real question is 'Do you feel lucky?!' :hm: Or would the peace of mind from an earlier flight be worth the price?

Last edited:
We had the exact same flight last year. There were mechanical problems with the plane in KC and we were 45 min behind schedule. I was about in tears when we reached DFW becaue the flight to CZM should have been getting ready to take off. We got so lucky!!! There was another couple going to Coz and a few to Cancun. AA actually held the flight for us, they picked us up in a bus as soon as the plan landed and drove us to the connecting flight. Our checked bags even made it to the flight. Now, I will never take this flight again just because I don't know if we would get that lucky twice but it did work out! All our other flights have been the 6am out of KC. As long as everything runs perfect you will be fine but throw one unexpected thing in the mix and you may miss it. I will say that I was sold on AA after our experience, I never would have expected them to hold the flight but they did. What great service! Good luck to you, I hope it works out!!!

All good advice above BUT here's my question.......it's $300 to book the earlier flight, right?.......and you know there are seats available, right?......so isn't the standby charge the same as the $300 to book now?........and I ask because someone above mentioned this true fact------the airline folks on the phone are not allowed to tell you any secret ways to avoid this, but a real live human being at the counter has total authority to be nice to you and let you on a flight that has room......(that said I would definitely play the pregnancy card-----I mean that with respect!.....hahha).........In your shoes, I would get there early for the first flight, be SUPER nice and charming, and explain that your wife will have trouble sprinting through the DFW airport, etc etc..........and hopefully someone kind will take pity...........and quite possibly charge you nothing at all..........I'd give THAT a try for sure but again, the key is to be HUMBLE and polite.......amazing how that can help..........worse case scenario is that they charge you what you would have paid in advance anyway, but DO keep an eye out for how many seat are left.........(and that said, there are probably more available seats than they are showing!)........also, another tip-----do not give your info to anyone when you call about the stand by rate etc.......just pretend you are asking out of curiosity for "someday".......(you don't want it documented in your record that you have been informed of this and that).......good luck.........(p.s I used to be a travel agent just so ya know I am not making this stuff up.......hahha.......I do it all the time)...........Betsy

These are all more reasons to consider the alternate route through Cancun. The risk of booking into "one flight a day" destinations like Coz is almost always risky unless layovers are possible. I can't tell you the number of times that, due to weather, mechanical problems, or just plain stupidity I've missed the connection into Cozumel.

The reason is that Cancun has many more daily flights by all the major carriers and the prices are usually much less. The taxi/ ferry trip is not too bad and I made it yesterday with my wife, 10 year old twins and 1 year old baby--wasn't too bad.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The people at KC International (MCI) tell me that stand-by is available on the domestic leg of an international flight. Therefore, we will be attempting to get on the 6:00 AM flight. If that doesn't work, I intend to play up the fact that my wife is pregnant. It seems like a reasonable excuse.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom