Question about Atomic regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xwhitesmokex:
Sorry for double posting.. but ithis is a more suitable thread to post my Q..

Is the environmental seal crucial with the Z2 regs? LDS stated it was just some extra grease and O ring.. as long as you wash it and service it as scheduled i'd be ok..

Down to 43 - 44 degrees I never had a problem with my unsealed Z2. Eventually I'll get it sealed because my M1 is on my other post.

paulwlee:
Try doing an air-sharing ascent on an anchorline that's bouncing up and down by a couple of feet in noticeable current and then try it again with an octo length hose.

For the heck of it, then try it with a long hose too. :wink:

We can all think up situations that are not ideal for the gear we have.

Don Janni:
We can all think up situations that are not ideal for the gear we have.

That was a situation which would be excessively difficult to handle with a 30" primary hose, to the point of being dangerous, and also not a "thought up situation". It's something I encounter an appreciable percentage of the time I go boat diving. If we are talking about merely "not ideal", then that would be almost every air sharing situation outside of a swimming pool.

There are people who like the long hose or don't.
Here I am talking about the use of came-with-the-reg primary hoses on a to-be-donated second stage. I think most people agree this is not a good idea, and it only takes one air share on the receiving end to figure that out.

paulwlee:
That was a situation which would be excessively difficult to handle with a 30" primary hose, to the point of being dangerous, and also not a "thought up situation". It's something I encounter an appreciable percentage of the time I go boat diving. If we are talking about merely "not ideal", then that would be almost every air sharing situation outside of a swimming pool.

Here I am talking about the use of came-with-the-reg primary hoses on a to-be-donated second stage. I think most people agree this is not a good idea, and it only takes one air share on the receiving end to figure that out.

If I dived those conditions an "appreciable percentage of the time" and encountered reg faliures from time-to-time I'm sure I would feel the same way you do. That's a situation one would not want to be in.

Don Janni:
If I dived those conditions an "appreciable percentage of the time" and encountered reg faliures from time-to-time I'm sure I would feel the same way you do. That's a situation one would not want to be in.

If you understood my comment to mean that I encounter regulator failures from time to time, that is not the case. In my entire dive career I had to donate maybe once or twice in a real situation, and I've done some gas share for logistics reasons, others were purely for practice.
But it only takes one failure that you are not adequately prepared for for you to become a statistic.

I don't regularly get into car crashes, but I still always wear my seatbelt. :wink:

I guess if you dive where the seas are always calm, diving is relatively shallow and water is warm making buoyancy control very simple, then maybe having a short donating primary hose merely becomes suboptimal instead of dangerous...

You could try using a 40" hose with a swivel and route the hose under your arm like with a Sherwood Maximus. It is a compromise but you may like it.

JackSpearo:
I want to buy either the Z2 or B2...

Money is the only issue though...

Should I buy a Z2 sometime in the future, and later add the comfort swivel hose to the 2nd stage, or should I just save up and wait more and get the B2, which includes both 1st and 2nd stage swivels?

also, if I do go with one of the two, should I get an octo, like the Z2 octo, or should I go with a safe second?

thanks

Jack
As am Atomic dealer I can tell you that you will be happy with any Atomic reg you purchase. Even the least expensive Atomic, the Z2, is a superior breathing regulator. We use them for rentals and after two years they are 100% reliable. I have dive customers who rent our Z2 regs when they dive on our boat instead of using their own more expensive regs from other manufacturers because they like the breathability of the Atomics, especially on deep dives like the Spiegel Grove.
Like others have mentioned the key factor is price. The Z2 is the least expensive and compared to other regs on the market you will be extremely satisfied. As others have said, you can jump up to the B2 with it's added features or you can start with the Z2 and add options at overhaul time based upon your experience, needs, and desires. You can add the swivel hose at any time. The Bottom line is how much do you want to spend up front.
Talk to your local Atomic dealer for the cost of adding options. You can purchase direct from Atomic now on their website if there is no local Atomic dealer near you.
Congratulations on your decision to purchase an Atomic, you will never reget it.

paulwlee:

No I really didn't read that in your post. I was saying that if I experienced one, the other or both I would change, as you did.

Early on I said "it's a philosophy thing."

Seas can be rough sometimes. No doubt about that. I rarely go places where rough seas are typical. Most of my dives are above 80'. In clear warm waters with no overhead obstructions outside of a swin through every now and then.

I just don't see it the way you do and that's okay with me.

I have owned them both over the years and I like the z2 over the b2 because of several reasons;

1) Price
2) The first stage is smaller and by turning it on the tank value I can angle the hose to come up over my shoulder, this helps with jaw issues (combined with the secure mouth piece I have no problems with my jaw hurting). The b2 just doesnt seem to lend itself to doing as good as of job at this.

If you think about it the swivle on the first stage is useless once you install the inflator hose and clip it into the clips, if you install anything like a subduck or divealert it just make it even more useless. so why spend the extra money if it?

As for octo setups, I have the SS1 as well as the Aqualung ABS. I love the ABS because you can breathe off of it in any position with no water leaking into the exhaust ports on an exhale. Some people have asked why I use two "octo's" - I have on two occassions needed them fo divers in trouble.

No matter which reg you choose I am sure you will be happy as Atomic is one of the best ones on the market at this time.

Back
Top Bottom