Question about Atomic regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you end up with a long hose setup the comfort swivel is useless. I can't speak for a 'standard' setup :)

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy going with Atomics :)

Bjorn

JackSpearo:
good point paul, thanks for that,

but if I get the long hose...which is better?

and would that defeat the purpose of the swivel?

It would probably be a lot less different if you're using a long hose. Besides, I understand the long hose with the swivel is pretty expensive?

I think a 5' hose would be best, but it depends on your size, other gear, etc.
The way you route it is under the left arm, around the front of your chest, over your left shoulder, behind the neck, and then over your right shoulder to your mouth.
For a 7' hose you need something to tuck it under, such as a canister light on a harness, or some other thing. If you dive with a regular BC, you might have to become a little creative. Some people also use a 6' hose.
For an example of hose routing, take a look at:
http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/equipment
This is a 7' hose and in the picture it is held in place by a light canister.
A 5' hose would route similarly but come around directly under the right arm instead of being tucked under the light canister. (BTW, the regulator hanging from the bungee in the first picture and the one he is breathing from on the second picture while donating the primary is his backup and is on a shorter than normal hose. (24")
I'd actually advocate this setup over the integrated inflator.)

The only downside of using the long hose IMO is that you can't use a snorkel with it, as it gets in the way when you are trying to donate.

paulwlee:
At a minimum use the octo-length hose. I think it's 32".

Oops. An octo-length hose is 36"~40". 32" is a normal primary hose length and way too short if you're going to donate it.

JackSpearo:
good point paul, thanks for that,

but if I get the long hose...which is better?

and would that defeat the purpose of the swivel?

I found that with a longer hose that you really don't need a swivel. There are some good photos on how to route a longer hose so you don't have a bunch of slack hanging out and catching on everything. Do a search on DIR hose routing or something. Basically, it goes under your right arm, across your chest, over your left shoulder and around your neck and into your mouth. (5' w/ single rig)

I've never used a 7' hose. They are mainly for doubles but I think can be easily routed for singles. You loop some of the extra hose around your $1.75 steak knife or your $2000 can light. :D Again, do a search. Good pics available.

Edit: Actually, PaulW answered it quicker and better than I did. Oh well, that's what I get for sleeping at night.

Here is a 7' hose on an Atomic Z2 tucked on a small dive knife on my right side:

Saskatchewan_12-30-06_83_Bjorn_Large_.jpg

Hope that helps.

plwtwo:
All Atomic regs are two years/200 dives service. The piston doesn't have to changed out unless it's an ancient Z1/B1 ...welcome to 2007
GREAT REGs!!!! QUOTE]

I usually end up getting my B1 and T2 serviced after little over a year or 140 dives. The techs service my regs say that they are typically pretty clean without much corrosion. If you are still debating about the SS1 or octo check the ease and maintenance required for each as well as the cost of parts. Personally, I dive my atomic with a 7' hose and a custom mouth piece that keep my jaw fatigue to a minimum.

My remondation are get the m1 or the z2 over the b2

the z2 breaths best . make sure you get it sealed pay the extra 40$ as for the swivel unless your going to dive short hose its ok i have one here if you want il sell it to you for 40$ and put it on your z2

Probably because the Z2 breaths as good (if not better) than the B2 and who needs the swivels?
A: No long hose diver :wink:

It's also cheaper of course :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom