Question about Atomic regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a regular second stage is a better solution than an inflator-integrated safe second, but if you do decide to get the SS1, make sure you change out the hose on your primary to a longer one. The regular hose will make for a very very uncomfortable air share.

paulwlee:
Any way you go, these are really nice regulators. I have 8. :wink:

Agree, but it is pricey as you know. Where can you get an annual kit?

You must have some source for that...:wink:

what is the standard primary length ??? what should I extend it to?

I think I'm really leaning toward the B2/SS1...

I wish I could see a picture of someones BC with the SS1 hooked up....to get a better picture of it all...

All Atomic regs are two years/200 dives service. The piston doesn't have to changed out unless it's an ancient Z1/B1 ...welcome to 2007
GREAT REGs!!!!
The Z2 is also available with a 1st stage swivel. The 2nd stage swivel is awesome though and can be bought for the Z2..

And I actually have a Ti2 OCTO with swivel on my T2 and a Z2 OCTO on my B2 (and a SS1 that I use for fun diving without students.)

The SS1 just replaces the inflator unit so it looks the same except a little bigger and brighter colored.

plwtwo:
All Atomic regs are two years/200 dives service. The piston doesn't have to changed out unless it's an ancient Z1/B1 ...welcome to 2007

Some stores still have older stock.

JackSpearo:
what is the standard primary length ??? what should I extend it to?

Standard primary length is in the 24" to 27" range. You should look at a 5' minimum for singles rig, 7' for doubles. Atomic makes a 5' and a 7' hose with swivel but they are pretty pricey. With a long primary hose there is much less (no?) need for a swivel anyway. You may need a longer corrugated hose on your BC/wing as well to allow your head full movement while breathing off the SS1. I dove an SS1 for over a year with a 5' hose on a Z2 reg set. The SS1 breathes great. There was very little if any difference in breathing effort between the SS1 and the Z2 second stage.

okay so I need a 5 or 7 foot primary hose if i go with the SS1....? and this is because someone OOA may take over my primary and this will make things more comfortable?

however, assuming that I might never get into an OOA situation, would the 5/7 foot hose be bothersome to me? because i would be using it more than in an OOA situation right?

and if i stayed with the 27" hose for the primary, I would just be uncomfortable for a few minutes while I surfaced with the OOA person...So then I wouldn't have to get the 5/7 foot hose?

what is standard length on the SS1? I do however see the point in getting that hose a little longer...

correct me if i'm wrong please, i'm just a total noob trying to understand/make the right decisions...

Jack

JackSpearo:
okay so I need a 5 or 7 foot primary hose if i go with the SS1....? and this is because someone OOA may take over my primary and this will make things more comfortable?

At a minimum use the octo-length hose. I think it's 32".

The 5' or 7' hose is what's called a 'long hose'. It's not just for use with inflator-integrated second stages. It is applicable to any diver who plans to donate the primary second stage in an out-of-gas situation.
Contrary to what you may think, they are quite comfortable, and it enables you to assume a normal position when sharing gas and gives you a lot of freedom to solve problems, etc. This is difficult with the octo length and all but impossible with the short primary hose. Also note that an out of gas situation is probably going to be very high stress situation, and if there are any complicating factors such as current, no ascent line, surge, etc. "just a little uncomfortable for a short time" can make things a lot less safe.

If you're not sure, just go with the octo length for now, but I do urge you to try the long hose in the future.

good point paul, thanks for that,

but if I get the long hose...which is better?

and would that defeat the purpose of the swivel?

I have the Z2 with the swivel hose. I went with the swivel because I thought it'd help reduce jaw fatique - but I don't really feel it helps. I may switch back to the original hose for a few dives in order to compare.

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom