Question about Atomic regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvmjethead:
I'm going to get the B2 with swivel for sure but I'm torn be ween another B2 for an Octo or an Atomic SS1 for my octo.......

I am sure some people will disagree with me but I would go for the SS1. I own three of them (myself, wife and daughter).

They breath very well even at 105 feet (deepest I have gone). They are out way when you don't need it and always in the same place when you do need it.

The have the same two year/300 dive service interval as the B2

There are also two side benefits:

You can simply unscrew them from the corrugated hose hose of the BC for easy packing.

Since the SS1 is easily removed it fosters a thorough rinsing on the interior of the BC with fresh water after every dive or set of dives which prolongs the life of the BC by minimizing salt crystal build-up within the interior of the BC.

I dive with the B2 and SSI as do most of the dive masters and instructors out of my shop. I went on a dive trip last weekend and 4 of the 9 were diving Atomic B2 and 3 of us had the SSI.

The long hose seems cumbersome to me and the ssi isn't meant to be given to another diver. The SSI lies flat on the BC and is out of the way, breaths very well, and is stylish to boot. There were several facts I considered when choosing the B2. The swivel hose was a big seller, the sealed regulator, the swivel first stage and the titanium components. I am a new diver, but the regulator breathes effortlesly, is weightless and highly reliable. If money isn't a major concern I recommend the B2 with the SSI. The Z2 is a great regulator and you won't go wrong. If you want a picture it might take me a day but I can set up my unit and take one and send it to you. PM me and I will take care of that.

Fuzzy

FuzzyMelton:
The long hose seems cumbersome to me and the ssi isn't meant to be given to another diver.

Try it.

Anyway, it's great that you like the B2 and SS1. But to repeat my earlier comment, I hope you are using at least an octo-length hose on your primary since you will be donating it. Too many people seem to forgo this because it takes an extra step (and cost) of swapping out a hose from how it comes from the factory.

Call me crazy but I don't like the idea of giving up MY WORKING PRIMARY because you did something stupid and are now OOA.

I don't like the idea of having a longer than I want hose on my primary so I can give it to you and start breathing a SSI.

I thought I could wrap my mind around the concept, but darn it, I just cant.

I thing I'll stick with my B2 primary with a Z2 octo for OOA situations or primary reg failure situations.

bvmjethead:
Call me crazy but I don't like the idea of giving up MY WORKING PRIMARY because you did something stupid and are now OOA.

Call me crazy, but I don't like the idea of not checking on my buddies gas supply.

I'd gladly give up my primary, as I test my secondary once I descend to ensure they both work. I _know_ I've got 2 working regs :)

Now, why aren't you checking on how much gas you buddy has left at regular intervals throughout the dive?

bvmjethead:

I don't like the idea of having a longer than I want hose on my primary so I can give it to you and start breathing a SSI.

I thought I could wrap my mind around the concept, but darn it, I just cant.

I thing I'll stick with my B2 primary with a Z2 octo for OOA situations or primary reg failure situations.

Do what you feel comfortable with. Once you get more comfortable in the water and gain more experience, try other ways of doing things. You may very well feel differently by then.

Sorry for double posting.. but ithis is a more suitable thread to post my Q..

Is the environmental seal crucial with the Z2 regs? LDS stated it was just some extra grease and O ring.. as long as you wash it and service it as scheduled i'd be ok..

If you plan on getting the SS1 remember that you will need to breath from it while venting air from your BC as you ascend. Make sure that this is easy to do and doesn't add any additional task loading.

As has already been stated if you get the SS1 you need to make sure that your primary second stage is on a hose long enough for you to comfortably donate to other divers in case of an OOA situation. If you don't do this then you might as well just forgo the SS1 and dive with only one second stage (I don't recommend this).

The problem then becomes dealing with the longer hose. If you route it the traditional way you have a larger hose loop out to your side which can catch on things, etc... I personally feel that even a traditional length primary hose creates too large of a loop as I have had it catch on things before. One solution to this is to route the hose under your arm instead of to the side. To do this you put the hose straight down off your first stage and use a swivel on the 2nd stage.

While this last solution works fine, I prefer a long hose. I find that it actually routes the best and despite being longer is actually more out of the way. It also gets rid of the jaw fatigue problem without needing a swivel and as such lowers cost and removes a possible failure point from the system. It also makes that big hose loop to the side much smaller. If properly routed a 7' hose stays completely out of the way, and gives you plenty of hose to work with when you need to share air. I help out with scuba classes so I have had plenty of chances to practice air shares, and while a traditional length octo hose works it is far from the easiest and most comfortable solution.

If you do end up getting a long hose remember that you should not leave a snorkel on your mask when using it and that you need to practice air shares with it in order to get used to it. That of course goes for any of the other options you have to choose from as well.

As far as the Z2 vs. B2 goes I personally would go with the Z2. I personally find the 1st stage swivel to be completely unnecessary. For me it adds weight, size, complexity and an additional failure point while not having any advantages. With a traditional regulator setup the swivel does allow for slightly better routing, but if using an SS1 or a long hose it no longer becomes beneficial. The environmental seal is another feature that you do not need unless you plan on diving in very cold water. It adds about $20 every time your regulator is serviced so if you don't need it then you are most likely better off without it. It can also be added at any time so you can always decide to add it later.

~Jess

I use the SS1 and find the standard length of the secondary regs' hose to be enough. Venting air while breathing from it??? Never tried that, although you can. It's too easy to just hold it up, vent and put it back in your mouth.

The swivel on the B2's hose is nice. You see people (and pic's of people) with thier regulator pushed a little to the right all of the time. They don't have a swivel on thier regulator hose. That swivel probably weighs an ounce and yeah it's probably a 1/64th inch larger in diag.

You probably need to worry more about a failure where the hose attaches to the connector than you do a failure in the swivel.

B2 has a lightweight Titainum 2nd stage.

They're both great regs. You couldn't wrong with either one.

The SS1... is more of a philosophy thing I guess. I like it. There are a lot of late adaptors.

EDIT: A comment about breathing from the SS1 while venting or vise-versa. If my primary failed on me or if I'm sharing air I'm headed to the surface so I won't find myself in that situation very often or for a long period of time. To me, it's almost a non issue.

Don Janni:
I use the SS1 and find the standard length of the secondary regs' hose to be enough.

Try doing an air-sharing ascent on an anchorline that's bouncing up and down by a couple of feet in noticeable current and then try it again with an octo length hose.

For the heck of it, then try it with a long hose too. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom