Quebec's New Diving Laws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jroy017:
Yeah if the RCMP (=FBI in canada ) wants some lists i'm sure there might be a few skeptics but most of us would comply my hesitation is giving the lists to FQAS wich is run by diving instructors from quebec. In other words i'm giving my competitor my client database even though he should only be using it within FQAS circumstances but we all know how rarely client databases stay really private.

We weren't to happy about having to give up any kind of a list to any one but it wasn't like we had a choice.

I discussed it with my attourney before we did it because I was not only worried about the FBI but the response of customers also.

Another concern was the time that it took. Since they wanted a list of divers who had not completed training and our records were hard copy only we had to do a manual file-by-file search of our records. It wasn't the kind of thing you could get done very fast.

Being from British Columbia I suspect the new Quebec Diving laws revolves around language laws which means you have to speak French while diving

now thats just being pigheaded and nearly racist.....

quebec government allows stupid things like theese dive laws yes going after our cultural heritage is another story us french canadians are pretty hot headed aout this stuff....

and dont even get me started about our relationship with other provinces suffice to say most people think that just because some quebequers want out or dont agree with federal policies that we are all the same, in my opinion canadians who are as narrow minded as that aren't different from the separatists from lac st-jean who who dont understand the importance and stability we get from being in canada and reject anything federal as bad

vjongene:
...the cops will occasionally check dive profiles and cert cards when they see divers come out of the water.
Huh?? Check dive profiles? How is this possible? Do they check your computer, or log book? I can barely manage to get my own profile off my Mares M1 (which IS French made, so maybe the French cops have better luck with the thing then I do. Another good reason to dive the thing in Bottom Timer mode). Can you please explain how the French police check dive profiles.

Rick Inman:
Huh?? Check dive profiles? How is this possible? Do they check your computer, or log book? I can barely manage to get my own profile off my Mares M1 (which IS French made, so maybe the French cops have better luck with the thing then I do. Another good reason to dive the thing in Bottom Timer mode). Can you please explain how the French police check dive profiles.

They are actually quite savvy when it comes to extracting a dive profile from a computer :) At the very least, they will read the max depth off your depth gauge. If you dive without a computer or a depth gauge (admittedly not a very safe practice), then you are breaking the law anyway. The basic procedure is, they occasionally cruise by popular dive sites, and check the instruments of divers coming out of the water. They also ask for C cards. If your max depth is significantly over your qualifications, you get a fine. If you don't have a C card, they'll impound your gear until you show up with one.

BTW, the Mares computers are Italian made. The only French brand I know of is Beuchat (not very popular outside France).

HTH,

Victor

Victor you are in lausanne and quoting what the sureté de quebec (quebec provinacial police) would be doing. my question is how did you get this informtation because as far as us diveschools in quebec there is no rules or anything of the sort handed out tro SQ and you can even get the so called permit for FQAS yet.

As for the empress their is talk of changing regulation to require a tech cert to be allowed to dive on the site. The only question remains what certifications qualify as a tech cert (ie minimum adv nitrox or minimum deco procedure or minimum adv rec or tech 1 etc). Would solve part of the problem of having divers going into the wreck beyond their liomits

vjongene:
They are actually quite savvy when it comes to extracting a dive profile from a computer :) At the very least, they will read the max depth off your depth gauge. If you dive without a computer or a depth gauge (admittedly not a very safe practice), then you are breaking the law anyway. The basic procedure is, they occasionally cruise by popular dive sites, and check the instruments of divers coming out of the water. They also ask for C cards. If your max depth is significantly over your qualifications, you get a fine. If you don't have a C card, they'll impound your gear until you show up with one.

BTW, the Mares computers are Italian made. The only French brand I know of is Beuchat (not very popular outside France).

Oh french from france, sorry missed that one

Quote:
Being from British Columbia I suspect the new Quebec Diving laws revolves around language laws which means you have to speak French while diving

now thats just being pigheaded and nearly racist.....

quebec government allows stupid things like theese dive laws yes going after our cultural heritage is another story us french canadians are pretty hot headed aout this stuff....

and dont even get me started about our relationship with other provinces suffice to say most people think that just because some quebequers want out or dont agree with federal policies that we are all the same, in my opinion canadians who are as narrow minded as that aren't different from the separatists from lac st-jean who who dont understand the importance and stability we get from being in canada and reject anything federal as bad

I don't think thats pigheaded, or racist for that matter. That's a perfectly legitimate comment, given some of the stuff that goes on in Quebec. If anything is pigheaded and racist it is those language laws. What would happen if any of the other provinces enacted the same laws but in reverse? While certainly all quebecors aren't the same, you do seem to be defending those laws. . .

Darryl

jroy017:
Victor you are in lausanne and quoting what the sureté de quebec (quebec provinacial police) would be doing. my question is how did you get this informtation because as far as us diveschools in quebec there is no rules or anything of the sort handed out tro SQ and you can even get the so called permit for FQAS yet.

No, I am quoting what the French Gendarmerie has been doing for years. Which is why we Swiss prefer to dive on our lawless side of the lake...

vjongene:
Excuse me while I go wash my face. There's still dirt on my lips from kissing the ground I live on.

dvleemin:
I don't think thats pigheaded, or racist for that matter. That's a perfectly legitimate comment, given some of the stuff that goes on in Quebec. If anything is pigheaded and racist it is those language laws. What would happen if any of the other provinces enacted the same laws but in reverse? While certainly all quebecors aren't the same, you do seem to be defending those laws. . .

Darryl

what i'm saying is thats its absolutely absurd (stupid) to think we wont let you dive just because you dont speak french, thats being narrow minded pigheaded etc...

On the other hand with the french language laws i find it important that everything be equally available in french (especially in our province) and english, however if you are talking about the loi 101 wich requires twice as big i'll agree with you ,just require it to be as available

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom