Quality Shorty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jquest1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a new diver soon headed to the Keys for some diving. I'm in the market for a good, quality 2.5-3mm shorty (also gloves and boots) but I'm not too familiar with the trusted name brands out there. I'm also not too sure what to look for in a good shorty for SCUBA diving, other than a stong zipper and a smooth chest & back where the BC would be.

Henderson, Akona, and O'Neill look like they have a pretty good stranglehold on the market, and the prices for a basic neoprene suit all look to be in about the same range, but I don't want to end up spending over $100 (I saw that Henderson Gold Core advertised for around $150). I'ld also like to avoid Bodyglove. For whatever reason I just don't like their company.

Can anyone offer and helpfull advise in buying one, other than make sure it fits?

sorry should have clarified - the shorty allone for under $100. The gloves and boots all run around the same from what I've seen, and those prices are not bad (~$20-$30 for a pair of either)
Is U.S. Divers a good manufacturer?

Bare 2mm Plazmas can be had for small money on ebay or Leisure Pro. I think they consider them a surf suit but so what in the case of a 2mm shorty.

I used mine a few times this summer and it did fine. Nicely gasketed limb openings.

Other than being well built how much can you expect from a shorty.

Pete

jquest1:
I'm a new diver soon headed to the Keys for some diving. I'm in the market for a good, quality 2.5-3mm shorty (also gloves and boots) but I'm not too familiar with the trusted name brands out there. I'm also not too sure what to look for in a good shorty for SCUBA diving, other than a stong zipper and a smooth chest & back where the BC would be.

Henderson, Akona, and O'Neill look like they have a pretty good stranglehold on the market, and the prices for a basic neoprene suit all look to be in about the same range, but I don't want to end up spending over $100 (I saw that Henderson Gold Core advertised for around $150). I'ld also like to avoid Bodyglove. For whatever reason I just don't like their company.

Can anyone offer and helpfull advise in buying one, other than make sure it fits?
if going to the keys this time of year you may want to get a full suit..at least a 3mm and possibly a 3mm hooded vest to wear under it..If you are in the NYC area I can get you a 3mm full suit for less than $95. and a hooded vest for $40/$60...keys water is cold this time of year..

The Henderson is a great suit (I've got two full length ones), but why spend $170 bucks on a Henderson Shorty? In a shorty you really don't need hyperstretch as they are easier to get into, etc.

Check out the TILOS Shorty. It's $55 bucks. I've got one of these and it fits great and is nice and warm. This is what I used on my last Florida Keys trip and it worked great.

J2020Shortylg.jpg

Here for $55 - http://www.divesports.com/mall/tilos_ws_menJ2020shorty.asp

One note about the Tilos suits, I've got two of them and I find they run a little smaller in sizing than the Henderson's do. For a Henderson I wear a XL and it fits fine. For both Tilos I need a XXL for fit. So don't order "under" what you normally wear but maybe one size up. (their XL is just too snug compared to the Henderson XL).

For gloves, several brands are good. The henderson Hyperstretch glove fits great but I don't think they are made all that well. I'm betting mine won't last that long. they also allow a lot of water movement in the seams which you can feel if it's in cold water. However, their 3mm gloves work decent in 60f water wearing a 5mm wetsuit. If I had to buy a new coldwater set of gloves though I'd invest in their Insta Dry gloves for $10 more in cost or buy a another brand that the seams are sealed better on.

Booties? buy what fits your foot best even if it costs a few bucks more. Having a blister or fit problem is just no fun. Also take your fins with you when you buy booties. you want to make sure your fins will fit with your new booties. A fit problem is often common when you change booty types, like from a soft sole booty to a hard sole one. Finding this out on the dive trip on the boat is not the best thing to happen, so check for fin fit when you buy.

Hope that helps.

mike

I had one made here in SoCal (5mm) - perfect fit. $100. Full 7mm $300, and again, a perfect fit.

Dave

Hey thanks! I'm not too worried about the price of boots or gloves, they all look to be in about the same range and reasonable. So long as they fit well and aren't junk, I'll be happy. I agree, blisters are definately a trip-ruiner for anything, and footwear can definately make or break a good time.

I think a shorty, boots, gloves, and maybe a cap would do well for FL in late December/Early january - I heard the water is 73ish degrees, which is about the same as an indoor pool. I was told a full-length 2 or 3 mm suit with hood is reccomended, but they cost a bit more and I really don't plan on diving many places that you couldn't at least get away with a shorty. Maybe one or two quarries, but they would be saved for the summer when it's nice and hot outside. I'm trying to save a bit of chas though because I also need to get a prescription mask, fins, and snorkle with some other fun gadgets on the side.

I remember when I did my cert dive in a quarry in fall, and I was told I would be cold in the full farmer-jon suit that was at least 5, maybe 7mm. I sweat like a pig all the way untill we hit the thermocline where the water finally dipped to 37 degrees and I was finally comfortable.

You could use a shorty for 73f, but I'm betting you'll get a little chilled, especially when you get out of the water.

For 73f, I think most folks would migrate up to a 3mm full suit. (some might even go to a 5mm full if they are cold natured).

mike_s:
You could use a shorty for 73f, but I'm betting you'll get a little chilled, especially when you get out of the water.

For 73f, I think most folks would migrate up to a 3mm full suit. (some might even go to a 5mm full if they are cold natured).
Agreed Mike. 73 and I am in my dry suit, especially out on a windy day on a boat. I have been in the Keys in January when the temp was in the 30's with some seriously howling winds. It could be perfect but I always like to prapare for the worst when it comes to exposure protection. Ashorty in FLorida in the winter sounds miserable to me. JMHO's.

Back
Top Bottom