Q:polycarbonate lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Lds decided not to stock it and all the on-liners seem to be constantly out of stock - I want the clear/clear. Bruce says he can't remember why he decided not to order any, but there was something about it he didn't like.

It looks pretty good, but I've only seen pictures so far. My nagging concerns are that it looks short top to bottom which might reduce vertical vision and the bent lens might distort whatever added peripheral vision is added.

What's your take on it?

Texass once bubbled...
My Lds decided not to stock it and all the on-liners seem to be constantly out of stock - I want the clear/clear. Bruce says he can't remember why he decided not to order any, but there was something about it he didn't like.

It looks pretty good, but I've only seen pictures so far. My nagging concerns are that it looks short top to bottom which might reduce vertical vision and the bent lens might distort whatever added peripheral vision is added.

What's your take on it?

My Freedom has now some 10 dives and numerous pool sessions. Lenses can get scratched but you can't see it in water. Skin is no longer so clear as it was on day one. I like this mask very much, but next time I will not buy a mask with clear skin. There's too much reflection on the inside.
Curved lenses are OK. You have a narrow pass of distorted vision, but in general you get great view.

Every mask I've ever owned has been a black skirt. LP has the Freedom for about $25 so I thought I'd try a clear skirt this time. Maybe I'll rethink that.

Is the distortion noticeable, or do you have to look for it once your in the water? Also how's the vertical vision? Can you see your chest OK?

Texass once bubbled...
Is the distortion noticeable, or do you have to look for it once your in the water? Also how's the vertical vision? Can you see your chest OK?

Distortion is noticeable, but it doesn't bother me at all. You notice it when you look sideways, but since it is only one narrow strip it's not a big problem (you have normal field of vision + normal side view + narrow distortion in between).
As of vertical vision - it could be better. Try the mask and see for yourself. I guess it depends on the chest size. :wink:

Texass once bubbled...
Also how's the vertical vision? Can you see your chest OK?

Checked! I can see my chest only through the skirt. :(

But I can see my belly just fine ;-0

Back
Top Bottom