Q about aluminum backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is part of the description of Oxycheq's AL plate: "All of our aluminum plates are hard coat anodized to keep the aluminum from oxidizing and turning to powder."

link: backplate

So I have to ask: What's with the anodizing and are AL plates without it (or without any mentioned of anodizing in their description) somehow inferior? I take it that none of them literally turn into powder, anodized or not...

They won't turn to powder, but you can get that ugly, white residue on AL bp's. BTW- that is friggin expensive for an AL backplate. Dive Rite Express sells a pretty much identical plate, hard anodized black, for $65.

Like the price and not the anodized? It use to be that EZ Off oven cleaner would take it off. Spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes and then spray it off. This has been a few years ago since I tried this.

They won't turn to powder, but you can get that ugly, white residue on AL bp's. BTW- that is friggin expensive for an AL backplate. Dive Rite Express sells a pretty much identical plate, hard anodized black, for $65.

Damn right, and Hammerhead sells a non-anodized AL plate for $49. For some reasons there seems to be a huge variance in AL backplate prices.

This subject has been covered as I recall. The consensus was that a simple fresh water rinse after the salty water dive is enough to keep your AL plate shinny if you don't make over 300 dives per year only in the ocean.

I have an OMS aluminum backplate which, as I look at the website, is anodized, although not black. IIRC, I paid about $75 for it from my LDS -- That's their retail, minus the small discount I got for my shop membership.

There are a number of types of aluminum anodize - Sulfuric, Sulfuric Hard Coat, Chromic Acid, Phosphoric Acid, and Boric Sulfuric Acid, and Thin Film Sulfuric are the most common in the finishing industry. They all have their uses and some are being phased out of the finishing industry like Chromic due to all the environmental and health problems with Cr+6.

What any anodize does is to produce an aluminum oxide coating onto the parts surface. This coating changes with the type of anodize and can have any number of thickness. Some are better for bonding to, others are better for corrosion protection.

What you are really looking at here is the difference between Sulfuric Acid Anodize and Sulfuric Acid Hard Coat. Sulfuric Acid anodize is the most common anodize you will run into outside of aerospace as it can be dyed many different colors such as blue, red, black, etc. It has good corrosion protection, is fairly hard, and its thickness will not generally effect the fatigue hardness of a fatigue loaded part.

Sulfuric Hard coat has GREAT corrosion protection, is hard as hell, not all that easy or cheep to apply and can not be dyed. It is very thick, anodize coating wise, and will lower fatigue life of loaded parts. If you have a plate that is Hard Coated it should be a light to medium grey unless it has been painted or powder coated. As the coating is nonconductive it will much better withstand galvanic effects from dissimilar metals.

But as a poster said, if you rinse and dry your plate well every time you will not notice the difference between Sulfuric Acid Anodize and Sulfuric Hard Coat in any reasonable time frame.

I have an OMS aluminum backplate which, as I look at the website, is anodized, although not black. IIRC, I paid about $75 for it from my LDS -- That's their retail, minus the small discount I got for my shop membership.

Did they let you take DIR-F w/ that OMS plate? Seems blasphemous to me. :D

This raises another question: If the anodizing is done after the plate is cut, then does that mean that drilling/cutting extra holes/slots into it would expose non-anodized aluminum to the elements which could lead to undesirable consequences?

This raises another question: If the anodizing is done after the plate is cut, then does that mean that drilling/cutting extra holes/slots into it would expose non-anodized aluminum to the elements which could lead to undesirable consequences?

I think most are anodized after cutting... At least my diverite looks that way. It was ~$65 at diverite express with no tax or shipping.

Back
Top Bottom