Puzzled over NAUI certification "name changes"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Changes? Like we have finally learned not to do 56 in a 55 or eat yellow snow?
I've only been diving since 1969, but there have been lots of changes.
  • Ascent rates
    • Was "no faster than your bubbles"
    • Morphed into 60fpm
    • Currently 60fpm below 60 FWS, 30FPM above that, and even slower the last 15 ft.
  • SPGs were optional and j-valves were popular (yeah, CESAs were common)
  • Horse collars were just coming out, and also optional. BCs would be out soon enough and they are still optional.
  • My depth gauge was a red ribbon
  • NitrOx was not an option!
  • No octos
  • Buddy skills? I have a what?
  • We ignored the Navy tables back then. Now we have newer tables to ignore and you might learn to use a PDC instead.
  • What's a PDC?
    • Can it handle NitrOx?
    • Helium?
    • What algorithm does it use?
    • Can I personalize that algorithm?
  • SMBs have been introduced
  • Protocols in regard to flying after diving have changed
  • Environmental concerns have changed

I know I've missed a few, but a lot has changed since then. No one has claimed it's rocket science. No way! It's submarine science. :D

There's simply no benefit to having an 'updated' card that I can see. Dive and let dive. You got what your earned.

url
Lots of things have changed. Didnt you keep copies of your records?

• Was "no faster than your bubbles"
  • Morphed into 60fpm

It was 60 fpm for the Navy tables, and "no faster than your smallest bubbles" achieved a rate good enough for your ascent if your watch or depth gauge puked.

There's simply no benefit to having an 'updated' card that I can see.

In my case, the card was deteriorating and PADI could find no record for my OW. Replacing, updating, the card got me on their system and gave me a card that will last longer.

Before all the agencies started Increasing the number of certification classes, naming and renaming them, it was not unusual for a recreational certification to be named SCUBA Diver. It only meant one was trained, since there was no restriction on who could buy air.

Bob

since there was no restriction on who could buy air.
I bought air without a c-card until the nineties. There were a number of shops who wouldn't sell to me, but many didn't even ask.

I bought air without a c-card until the nineties. There were a number of shops who wouldn't sell to me, but many didn't even ask.

I had no problem with my local dive shops, since was planning some traveling I just picked up a cert to avoid the issue. It wasen't as if I didn't know how to dive. Did the same thing for AOW a couple of decades later as more shops think that is important.

Bob

I was sorely tempted to ask if there's a specialty certification for potty training, but I guess I shouldn’t.

I had no problem with my local dive shops, since was planning some traveling I just picked up a cert to avoid the issue. It wasen't as if I didn't know how to dive. Did the same thing for AOW a couple of decades later as more shops think that is important.

Bob

Yep, same here, but a little shorter. Eight years of diving as a YMCA Scuba Diver, mostly off my own boat. Got AOW through PDIC to avoid being turned down on a charter.....

Naui used to be a premier operation, but nowadays it is just a mass of confusion. When I finally translated my SD to AOW and sent in $45. for a new plastic card they managed to spell my name wrong. WTF?
So, even though this is an old thread, and you have no interest in its content, others might. I figure if we can have hundreds of BPW discussions SB should be happy to throw us old dogs a well chewed bone from the days when LLoyd Bridges roamed the seas.

Is naui that bad these days?

Back
Top Bottom