Putting on thick wetsuit - oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think I asked a similar question here before - please forgive me if this is terribly redundant.

Now that it's October I am going to be forced to finally wear my new 8/7 semi-dry suit. Every time I try to put it on I nearly collapse with exhaustion (slight exaggeration). Today I tried slathering on baby shampoo and getting the suit wet - with mixed results.

Has anyone tried spray-on cooking oil? When I googled neoprene I read accolades of neoprene being oil and gas resistant, etc, so I'm assuming it wouldn't do any damage to my wetsuit. I know I'm just being a whiner but I am SO dreading putting on this thing - and WORSE, having to pee after I have it on!!!

Thanks in advance. :)

Why not try baby shampoo cut with water in a spray bottle? It works like a charm for my dry suit seals.

IMO all you need is a dive skin. I got one and it made a world of difference in how my old 7mm wetsuit would go on. I would rather that than constantly lathering up in stuff and exposing the environment to it all the time.

Commercial divers typically use cream rinse. It is thicker than baby shampoo and slicker.

Oil is bad for neoprene. I would not reccomend going there.

Place a plastic Walmart bag over your feet and hands as you insert them into the suit. Remove once it comes through.

I cast another vote for just wearing a dive skin; that seems to do it for me with my 7mm, with no additional chemicals to add to the ocean once I'm in. I also make a point of starting out trying to purposely get the ankles and knees higher than I think I'll need them to be, which generally lands them in the right place when I'm done. Trying to pull the legs higher once the suit is on is impossible, I think.

Agreed, it is physically tiring to muscle one of these things on. I also find it tiring to just move around in mine for the first day or two of a dive trip until I get used to it, then all is well (and warm). :)

I would do the hair conditioner (cut 50% with water) in a spray bottle. Works great. The plastic bag trick works great too for most people. There is also a product called "Suit Juice" that works really well. I normally don't have a problem but used it (I got it free as a promo reward) when I was diving on a liveaboard as it also works as a lubricant so no abrasions from diving for 7 straight days in a wetsuit that never got to dry between dive days. Really made the suit easy off & on.

Suit snot & technique are what it takes. If it's still exhausting you have the wrong suit. The long versuit of the answer is here

Some of the old time divers used to wear pantyhose. It's cheaper and thinner than a lycra skin + you can ditch it after the dive. The hard part is suiting up in front of people and looking like a drag queen.

My favorite was watching a heavily muscle-bound guy, with full moustache, bald get into his 7mm Farmer john. He took a lot of abuse, but got into his suit in a jiff...excuse whiff! :D

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom