Putting on thick wetsuit - oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We women have an additional issue that guys don't - OUR suits are cut slimmer in the waist line, which means that if you have a 36" arse trying to get through a 26" opening (for the waist) it multiplies how complicated (and tedious) the process is. That said, I can manage that part with liberal huffing and puffing. I've tried trash bags - they rip. Tried a skin and I couldn't keep hold of the cuffs on my arms AND I looped the heel loop THROUGH MY TOES and still had a heck of a time!

I'll give the panty hose a try as well as the creme rinse. I know that in the end I'm just gonna have to shut up and deal with it. I'm just looking for a little magic! Thanks to all!

Kim,

I searched YouTube for a video that taught me how to put on the thick suits; I'm sorry that I cannot find it.

Turn your suit inside out.
Then tuck about 8-10" of leg back in.
Situate the suit so it lays out in front of you, *front* of the suit up.
Slide your foot and lower leg in, then the other.
Roll the legs of the suit up, about 2" at a time. Because you are not pulling, there is no friction.
You'll have to decide for yourself if it is worth it to do the arms the same way. You might need help, then.
I can get in my 7mm faster than most people can get in a 3mm. The only problem is my glued-on pockets - they resist the rolling. :)

I love my Henderson DrySkin. Easy to put on. Suits just slide on over it - worth the $ 70 investment big time.

For California freedive wetsuits, many use 1 part hair conditioner to 4 parts water in a spray bottle. This was recommended by Bodega Bay Prodive where I purchased my open cell freedive wetsuit. I use a hair conditioner that does not irritate my nose or skin. We spray the entire open cell wetsuit.

I spray the arms of my SCUBA Xcel SCS 9/7/6mm semidry wetsuit since they are hard to get on and off. Now it is so easy with no overexertion and sweating to get into my SCUBA wetsuit arms. So just spraying the problem areas will work. It is also great for getting in a still wet wetsuit easier the next dive. Best to stand on a tarp or something because sand and dirt will easily stick after spraying.

Suitslip
http://speargearshop.com/accessories.html#suitslip

Jax - thanks for looking for the youtube. I searched those once and found some videos that made me laugh til I cried!!

Gonna go get some conditioner/creme rinse ... I'll post back on Sunday or Monday to let you know how things go.

I think my local dive shop carries SuitSlip. That might be worth a try too - but the shop is a 30 minute drive and right now I don't have the time to go there. Next time ...

Thanks again to everyone. :)

Dr Bonner's Peppermint soap cut with water works well in a spray bottle as a lub. Also leaves you smelling nice.

My very first wetsuit was a front zip semi-dry with attached hood. I had similar issues getting it on. I tried all the various tricks that have been mentioned in this thread, but I still dreaded having to put on that suit (getting it off was even worse). And I soon started diving less as a result. My suggestion is to definitely not let it get to that point. If none of the techniques in this thread help, sell the suit and buy something else. There are so many different types of wetsuits out there, and there is definitely one that you would actually enjoy wearing.

Kim,

Turn your suit inside out.
Then tuck about 8-10" of leg back in.
Situate the suit so it lays out in front of you, *front* of the suit up.
Slide your foot and lower leg in, then the other.
Roll the legs of the suit up, about 2" at a time. Because you are not pulling, there is no friction.
You'll have to decide for yourself if it is worth it to do the arms the same way. You might need help, then.
I can get in my 7mm faster than most people can get in a 3mm. The only problem is my glued-on pockets - they resist the rolling. :)

Sounds strangely familiar :crafty: Oh yeah just like putting on panyhose!
& the worst part about those 7mm suits, breaking a nail or five :rofl3:

CREME RINSE (hair conditioner) WORKED!!! I made a 50/50 mix of creme rinse and water and put it in a little spray bottle that I got at walmart for 97 cents. I sprayed the first 12 inches or so of the insides of the leg and arm holes. My dh just sprayed it on his arms and legs - I thought it rubbed off when I tried it this way - when the mix is actually on the neoprene the whole thing slides better. Anyway, this worked great! I still had issues getting it off - no neck injury but the zipper on the left armed scratched up my hand as I was pulling it off. I'll make adjustments to keep that from happening again. All in all, not bad. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful hints!

Good to hear.

It does not need to be so concentrated. And turning the leg or arm part out makes it easier to spray evenly.

One other problem I have is my feet get the hair conditioner on them and make my booties or socks slip when hiking. So now I wipe any conditioner off my feet after putting on suit. And make sure I stand on a clean surface or tarp so no sand or dirt sticks to the conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom