Purge vs. No Purge Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purge valves on mask is a solution for bad fitting mask and poor skill. They add not value and only trouble.:no:

When I got certified back in 91 I bought a Scubapro Trivent. That mask has a purge. I now have over 500 dives with it and it has never given a single problem. I've even bought two top of the line Atomic masks thinking I should switch from the old boxy style Trivent to the latest and greatest but after a dive or two I'm back with the Trivent. For some reason I just love that mask.

For the most part, all the talk about the purge being an addition failure point and getting sand in it and all of that is BS. Could it possibly happen, of course. Is it likely to happen, not at all. I know a few folks with purge masks and not a single one of them have ever had a problem with theirs. And it is easier to clear your mask with a purge.

So find a mask that you like and fits you well. If it has a purge then great and if not great as well.

I just retired my U.S. Divers Quantum Purge after almost 18 years of flawless service. The only reason I switched was because I needed a good, optical quality diopter in my left (gauge reading) lens.

begs the question rreally. What is worst case senario if a purge valve totally fails? in my mind then the mask partially fills with water as the water level get above the valve

Purge masks IMO are crap. You are much better with a low profile mask IMO. I had a purge mask in '73. My instructor filled it with wetsuit cement at that time. I purchased a new mask in '99. Three windows, like my old scubapro mask. Crap. Trashed it and bought a low profile free diver mask.

Holy Cow!!! Ya'all know this thread was 7 years old until someone revived it today?
so...who the F' cares. LOL. I think we're all just passing time.:D Nice chatting with peeps for my part. :coffee: Beats Face Book IMO:).

I like purge valves. I have both types, purge and non-purge and use them both. It just depends on my mood.

I don't like the new version of the US Divers Pacifica, though. The old, neoprene Pacifica of years ago was a great mask but the new version with the vinyl/silicone skirt is junk.

FYI - the Pacifica is still in the Aqualung catalog. Just not sexy enough for most dive shops to stock it.

FYI - the Pacifica is still in the Aqualung catalog. Just not sexy enough for most dive shops to stock it.

Yep, but it isn't of the same quality as the version they used to make years ago. I had one decades ago and loved it. It lasted a long time and gave great service. The new ones, though, are made of cheap materials and aren't worth buying. I bought two new ones and both failed miserably and in a short time.

hey..take it from me. Get a low profile free diver mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom