purge masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boy you ask a question like this and you open the door for opinions...

Here is mine. Try one in the pool and see if you like it. For me, I use different masks for different scenarios. Low volume in cave. High volume big mask when teaching (so I can see and they can see me). Big mask with purge when my hands are full of cameras or video equipment. Purge is nice since I don't need my hands to get any water out of the mask. Bigger mask so I can see easier.

Purge masks are an excellent solution for hard contact lens wearers. If you have a lens pop out, it can be retained inside the mask for recovery when you surface. Else, if you have a regular mask and you clear a maskflood using conventional technique, you will certainly lose that contact lens.

There is some discussion of the OceanMaster masks. For those interested, the patents, tooling, and manufacturing rights for those masks are now owned by XS Scuba. They market the masks under the name M-Line. They have all six models of the masks and both models of the snorkel. They will have the titanium knives very soon. Best of all, the price has been lowered. So, if you want the best purge mask on the market, take a look.

M-Line Masks and Snorkels by XS Scuba

Thanks,

Phil Ellis

Walter:
I'm sorry you are having difficulty understanding the concept being discussed. I'll rephrase, just for you, Bob.

They aren't necessary to allow a diver to clear their mask with ease.

I guess I'll challange that Walter. It's easier with a purge. It's 'Easy" without and "Easier" with. So if one wants the ultimate in "easy" it's the mask with a purge.

Think about getting a submarine, you won't even have to get wet :)

http://www.ussubs.com/

Don Janni:
I guess I'll challange that Walter. It's easier with a purge. It's 'Easy" without and "Easier" with. So if one wants the ultimate in "easy" it's the mask with a purge.

I disagree. Yes, I've tried both.

diverbob:
As fas as people that say anything that can fail, will, so avoid it, should none uf u ever dive, because O-rings, burst disks and regs can fail, too.
I am not sure that is what is being said. I have found the purge on my OMs to be failure prone (not using one at the moment because the cover simply came off during a dive, and can’t get the kit to repair it). But, this is at least one failure point that can be avoided, by using non-purge masks.

walter:
They aren’t necessary.
That is probably the best point. They aren’t. You can clear a non-purge easily – having used both types I didn’t find purges to be easier (or harder) . Having the purge doesn’t add a lot for many folks. But, I don’t read anyone as saying they are bad, the work of the devil, evil incarnate, whatever. If they work for you, fine, Are they essential? No. Will they fail? Probably.

It is like the issue of defog solution, vs spitting, to defog a mask before a dive. I spit now, because it works, doesn’t burn my eyes, and I have even removed a ‘failure point’ – forgetting to bring my commercial defog solution. Some people still use defog solution / goo. Good for them, too.

Notice no one is recomending anything Mares? My last mask was a Mares, separated after 20 dives....Looking at the Atomic subframe, now no purge. My spousal unit will not dive with a non-purge mask. She can clear with a non-purge, but the ease of clearing by breathing through her nose( and she doesn't do "upside down" diving) has sold her on the non-purge.

the Purge masks do tend to leak a little more, the mushroom gets bent, etc. but really a personal preference and FIT are the most important things

i use an old seaquest i bought in the early 90's, it's a low volume. i get water when i smile or laugh, no biggie. otherwise it's been a great mask. if it should expire i'll try to find another just like it.
borrow a purge, dive it a few times and go from there. what could it hurt?

Back
Top Bottom