purge masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh i forgot my wife likes the purge valve and when we were in Florida she was complaining about her mask leaking when we descended. We surfaced (from 5 ft) and switched masks. We did about 50 minute dive and got back on the boat. I took the mask off and found that the valve was gone. I now carry a spare. Then I just did the other dive and cleared a lot.

My first mask was a scubapro clearvu with purge and I must say that I liked it alot. All I had to do was blow my nose and any pesky water was gone. The problem I found with my mask was that it didn't have as wide of a field of view as I wanted, so I purchased a cressi-sub big eyes mask. I love it and it works great. Even though I liked my purge mask I must add that it really is another gadget that can fail during your dive. I would suggest to go to a dive shop that has a pool on site and ask them to test ride it in the water and see what works best for you, it really boils down to ones personal preference.

I like the ease with which I can clear my mask, just a simple litte "snort" and I'm clear. unfortunately, the darned valve would push against the tip of my nose making at depth. by the time I surfaced my nose would be sore. over all, I'd have to say that the valve is more of a hindrance than a help to me.

I like my purge, especially when my hands are busy with either a stage bottle, running a reel or taking a picture.

As fas as people that say anything that can fail, will, so avoid it, should none uf u ever dive, because O-rings, burst disks and regs can fail, too.

underwasser bolt:
the purge valve WILL fail eventually; anything that can fail will fail. why add something else that you know will fail to your gear?

Do you have any facts and figures to back this statement up? I've seem more "purge" (exhaust diaphram) failures on regulators than on purge mask. Usually it's just a leaf or trash stunk in the reg.

diverbob: As fas as people that say anything that can fail, will, so avoid it, should none uf u ever dive, because O-rings, burst disks and regs can fail, too.

You won't get them to agree to that argument bob, no matter how true it is.

Lead_carrier:
Do you have any facts and figures to back this statement up? I've seem more "purge" (exhaust diaphram) failures on regulators than on purge mask. Usually it's just a leaf or trash stunk in the reg.

You won't get them to agree to that argument bob, no matter how true it is.

I know. Having a bad day and needed to vent.

Walter:
They aren't necessary.

Neither is diving itself, but we do it.

I'm sorry you are having difficulty understanding the concept being discussed. I'll rephrase, just for you, Bob.

They aren't necessary to allow a diver to clear their mask with ease.

Walter:
I'm sorry you are having difficulty understanding the concept being discussed. I'll rephrase, just for you, Bob.

They aren't necessary to allow a diver to clear their mask with ease.

Who am I to disagree with a "Guru" :shakehead:

My point was, and still is, that if my hands are busy doing other things, for me, its easier to clear if I dont have to touch my mask.

Back
Top Bottom