Purge in masks question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally use non-purge masks, but I'm an easy fit.

I won't, however, say purge masks are bad or useless by any means. My regular buddy has a mustache, tends to get some water in, simply prefers to use a purge during the dive.

More importantly, I've run across two people this year who simply needed purge masks to get a clean fit. A woman doing her OW training this past Winter simply couldn't do a mask remove and replace, wasn't able to clear her mask properly afterward. We spent over two hours, one-on-one, before finally figuring out that it really was a nose pocket fit issue. We tried a half dozen different masks, non purge variety, none of them did the trick. Turns out that a purge mask had the right face form factor for her.

My GF was the second person. We tried every mask the shop had, then went into the shop bag. It turns out that a truly ancient Voit mask was the one that fit for her.

These two ladies were on the opposite end of the schnozz spectrum, size-wise, but it turns out that for both a purge mask did the job while a non-purge one just wasn't fitting properly.

So, while I do prefer non-purge, be open to trying purge masks if you have a fit problem.

Puffer Fish:
divemaster Jim.... for gosh sake, get a mask you can clear without touching it... or adjust the strap so you can... two hands to clear is not good.

I said that I may use it in cold water, FWIW I do use a Tusa Pano Geo which is very easy to clear and equalize without much effort. the one with a purge valve has a plate over the nose of it so you'd have to use both hands to equalize regardless of gloves.

IMO, I consider the purge valve in masks especially the high volume masks as "nice to have but not necessary". if it's there then that's nice but if it's not there it's okay as long as the mask fits well and my nose is comfortable with it.

Puffer Fish:
divemaster Jim.... for gosh sake, get a mask you can clear without touching it... or adjust the strap so you can... two hands to clear is not good.

I have a full 'stash and beard. I dive a purge and have no complaints.

But, Puffer, how do you clear a non-purge mask, without touching it? That's a trick I've never heard of.

rickyd:
I have a full 'stash and beard. I dive a purge and have no complaints.

But, Puffer, how do you clear a non-purge mask, without touching it? That's a trick I've never heard of.
Please keep in mind that equalizing your ears and clearing a mask are different things.

Clearing the mask without touching it just requires that you put the strap on with more pressure on the top of the mask than the bottom.. then just blowing with your head it the right angle will do the trick. Some masks work better for this than others. A quick test, once in the water is all one needs.

Interestingly, some masks do it by design... the Cressi I am using does.

I was shown how to do it while doing a commercial job of raising a sunk ship. At times, you had no hands free, and we were spending 6 hours a day underwater.

I don't know the number of students I have taught as an instuctor and assistant instructor, but it is in the thousands, and have never heard of or seen anyone that had to have a purge. But it is nice if you have facial hair. And I know several shops that do not even carry them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom