Purge in masks question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to add that a purge mask is nice for snorkeling, especially if you have a mustache. When snorkeling, it is more difficult to lean your head back enough to clear most masks effectively. A purge valve will usually be in a better position for clearing water out of the mask when you are looking forward and down, as in snorkeling. I have several masks, my faves are a Tusa Imprex Hyperdry (with purge) and an Atomic Ultraclear Frameless. I have really tried to like the Atomic, but I actually prefer the Tusa, not because of the purge, but because it fits my face a bit better. Also, since it has more internal volume than the Atomic, it does not need to be cleared as often. Since I like to snorkel AND dive, I see the purge as an advantage.

Just my 2 psi.

Thomjinx

Another comment or two on purge valves... there are a few types. If you are ever planning on diving, do yourself a favor and do NOT get yourself a purge mask with a plate over the nose with pinch pockets the side, they are very tough to clear one handed with a regulator in your mouth - usually takes both hands - get one with the purge below the tip of the nose (although some people get driven nuts by those because they can feel the purge touch the tip of their nose) or some other style.

Also, if you get the right mask to begin with, who needs a purge? A proper fitting mask rarely leaks. The standard tusa liberator clone mask leaks like a sieve on me, I just put up with it because I've got corrective lenses for it. A few years back I had an Oceanic mask (now discontinued) that never leaked a drop. Broke it and went back to the old style. Last week I bought a cheap mask that fit well and had diopters available, it doesn't leak even though I have a full mustache.

Fit is everything when it comes to leaks. I've often heard that if you have a proper fitting mask, you almost don't even need a strap.... so I tried it two days ago. the mask stayed on just fine, but it did leak, pretty darned heavily, as I swam along and breathed (if I sat in one spot and held my breath, no leaking)... so I guess straps are helpful after all. At any rate, I'd highly recommend spending some effort on trying out masks for fit over just going for a purge valve.

I have a purge valve on my mask... Only because I won that mask (here on SB last year) [it's a zeagle] - I have almost 200 dives on it, and it functions normally, no pinching or leaking, or any signs of tearing of the nose pocket. I like that it has a larger than average nose pocket for those of us who are nasally endowed.

Would I spend the extra money on a purge valve? No - definitely not. It functions quite well, but there's no need for it.

I started off with a Scubapro Crystal view w/ purge...loved the mask, purge worked well; never leaked. However, after a dive my nose was so sore from the valve pressing against my nose. For those swim team members it felt like Swedish goggle pain. NOT FUN.

I now have a mask w/out a purge.

Also, my friend purchased a Ocean Master w/ a purge and on his first dive with it the valve blew out on his descent in less than 15 fsw, obviously a munufacturing defect.

I've never had problems clearing... however, finding a mask that didn't leak with my 'stache was always an issue... Until I found the SeaVision Ultra (still leaks, but very, very slightly).

I have both a purge and non-purge SV, which uses an extremely modest sized valve... There is no less room in the purge style, and nothing rubs my nose... It's a convenience not to have to raise my head to clear, with the purge. That's about it... a mild convenience. I'm fine with either.

I've used both a purge and a non-purge, If I'm in cold water I may take the purge just for the fact I don't have to crack the seal to clear the mask, I'm wearing heavy gloves so having a plate on the mask doesn't make a difference to me, I use both hands to equalize it, Can get kinda tricky if I've got to hold on to something when I want to equalize lol,
If you've got one and it doesn't leak use it, practice with it like any piece of equipment you have.

I had a mask with a purge valve and I couldn't seem to get all of the water out of it .I bought a regular mask and it cleared alot better.I agree I think it's a gimmick

I like my purge mask. It is easy to clear, and like someone else said above it works great for snorkeling. I've used masks without a purge valve and I haven't had any difficulties with them while diving but they are harder to clear while snorkeling.

divemaster_jim:
I've used both a purge and a non-purge, If I'm in cold water I may take the purge just for the fact I don't have to crack the seal to clear the mask, I'm wearing heavy gloves so having a plate on the mask doesn't make a difference to me, I use both hands to equalize it, Can get kinda tricky if I've got to hold on to something when I want to equalize lol,
If you've got one and it doesn't leak use it, practice with it like any piece of equipment you have.
divemaster Jim.... for gosh sake, get a mask you can clear without touching it... or adjust the strap so you can... two hands to clear is not good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom