Purchasing domestic flights in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could not find a thread discussing the subject (may have overlooked, though...)

A family group of 7 is traveling to DPS in April 2025, and will continue on to Labuan Bajo. There appear to be lots of web sites claiming to handle online bookings. Is e.g. Airpaz a serious outfit or should I book directly with the airline (in this case, Batik Air)?

Any advice / experience in this matter most appreciated!

Best,

Rene

Hmm I think more known one would www.tiket.com but perhaps some folks from Indo will know other ones - @matts1w and @Luko are quite knowledgeable. But general preference might be the same as everywhere else - book direct. Just make sure to pay with credit card, so worst comes to worst, can file for chargeback.
As for DPS-LBJ flights, have a look at Citilink - flew with them that route before and all was well (as long as you are not carrying any gas cylinders, they do have a serious allergy to those). Very cheap baggage too if booked as sports (check-in counter only, cannot be done online)

Book directly with Garuda. It is more expensive though.
Their schedule at the moment is only on Sun and Tue, Apr 2025 is too far ahead.

Batik, Citilink and Indonesia Air Asia are cheaper.

NEVER use a third party (e.g., Booking.com or Airpaz) to book travel, hotels, airline tickets, etc.

When something goes wrong, you'll have to deal with the third party instead of directly with the airline, hotel, etc.

DO NOT ever use a third party for anything travel related.

NEVER use a third party (e.g., Booking.com or Airpaz) to book travel, hotels, airline tickets, etc.

When something goes wrong, you'll have to deal with the third party instead of directly with the airline, hotel, etc.

^^^^ This.

Book directly and use whatsapp/phone number and email that you will be able to monitor during the trip.

Few weeks ago, one flight change (three hours delay) was announced to us by whatsapp the day before the flight, in a number we didn't monitor (our bad) so we didn't learn about it before reaching the airport. Another flight change (again a couple of hours delay) was announced to us by e-mail. Go figure. At least we got the second one. Both flights were with Batik booked directly on different trips/tickets.

FYI when I booked my Jakarta to Labuan Bajo ticket back in February 2024 (for August 2024) Garuda was actually the same price as Batik. If possible, go for Garuda. Batik's quality and aircrafts' condition have droped considerably post covid.

I use Agoda or Booking all the time to book hotels. Heck, those are pretty much the only options in parts of Bali and Lombok. I would not hesitate to use either site to book a simple hotel in Indonesia.

That being said, I always book flights directly with the airline. I know that is super-challenging for most people who live outside of Indonesia. Skyscanner seems to be the best option, but I would for sure contact your liveaboard or dive resort to see if they have better options.

As @matts1w said, booking with airlines other than Garuda from the US or other may be tough. Garuda is always my first choice but, if Garuda (I've found them generally reliable) isn't an option, I recommend using a local travel agent (many LOBs have relationships) rather than a third party booking site. That way when (not if) there is a problem you have a human being to talk to who can help work out the mess.

I concur with the advice of booking directly on Garuda indonesia website :
- Their booking engine works well,
- No problem for payment with a European Union bank credit card supporting 3DS 2.0 authorization system.
- Garuda gives you additional 23 kg for scuba equipement on top of the usual 20 kgs allowance while LionAir gives you only 15 kgs, Batik 20 kgs hence you will probably need to purchase additional luggage.
- Garuda doesn't cancel flights randomly while LionAir and Batik regularly do (happened to me 10 days ago for a Jakarta/Kupang flight, 4 months ago for a Sorong/Manado flight, hence not an unfrequent event. prepare for the worst.)

Citilink doesn't offer any DPS-LBJ flight anymore (at least this summer).

Air Asia is quite easy to book from their website but you'll have to add luggage. That'll be my second choice.

Other than that with LionAir or affiliated airlines (Batik & Super Air Jet):
- very iffy booking engine, you must book on the ex-Malindo Malaysian website (when it works, it didin't lately) then purchase the additional luggage on the Indonesian website using your LionAir PNR (which is different than the PNR that Batik/Malindo has given...).
- Prone to random cancellation (see above)
- if you have a problem with LionAir group airlines, this is where the sh*t hits the fan... good luck for reclaiming your money back, never use their customer relation whatsapp number, they won't reply.

I always book flights directly with the airline. I know that is super-challenging for most people who live outside of Indonesia.
Not a problem with OP, he lives in France, his Credit Card should work fine.
It's more a problem of Indonesian website design for some airlines.

As much as I agree with you for airlines where intermediaries are most of the time useless, it is often safer to book hotels with Booking.com than directly with smaller or independant hotels that are not that professional or reliable:
- benefits from Booking.com from their loyalty program up to 20% discount
- they will force the hotels to apply the policies written on the B.com confirmation, not always seamless for cancelation fees.
- easier to speak with Booking.com customer service than with some hotels.

I just booked from Nusatrip.com last week , did not pay attention their flight has 5 kg less included ( Batik should include 20 kgs check in). I will never bought from them again !

Back
Top Bottom