Purchasing domestic flights in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the others here. NEVER EVER book a flight with a third-party website, no matter where you're going in the world. I recently booked my second flight to Raja Ampat and used Garuda again. Booking online was no problem, and their chat feature is very responsive. I even had to call to ask a question and was able to talk to a live agent. I was pleasantly surprised. Garuda has the most diver-friendly luggage policy, plus their flights are more reliable as to not get cancelled or delayed. Build in plenty of time in your itinerary to allow for delays.

Their prices tend to really jump as the travel date gets closer, so booking sooner than later, especially for 7 seats, will serve you best.

Never ever had any issue with Agoda. It is reliable as least to me. Booking.com is a bit more expensive but both are under the same umbrella.
I am off to southern Thailand and northern Malaysia soon and had nine places booked/paid(Agoda).
Speaking with my own experiences on Agoda and others may not agree.

FWIW I took 7 different flights through Indonesia in 2023 and booked all directly with the airlines. Flew Lion, Batik (now the same airline) and Garuda. They are all like taking a bus. I had zero issues with any of them.

That being said, I always book flights directly with the airline. I know that is super-challenging for most people who live outside of Indonesia.
How is that? Last autumn I booked 5 flights directly with the airlines from the USA online with the Batik and Lion. No problems. Simple.

Change a flight? Simple. No problem with the Batik and Lion apps.

How is that? Last autumn I booked 5 flights directly with the airlines from the USA online with the Batik and Lion. No problems. Simple.

Change a flight? Simple. No problem with the Batik and Lion apps.
Some credit cards from USA would not approve the charge coming from Indonesia for security reason. Too many fraudulent transactions.

My United Explorer Visa card used to be white listed by tiket.com until I get a new United Explorer Visa card. However Garuda Indonesia is still approved by my new United Explorer Visa card.

I also have BCA debit card that is accepted by all Indonesian airlines & 3rd party travel agencies like tiket.com or NusaTrip.com. So, if they don’t accept my United Explorer Visa card. I just use my BCA debit card.

To have BCA debit card, you need to open an account in Bank Central Asia (BCA), which is one of Indonesian banks.

I avoid Lion group airlines (Lion Air, Batik Air, Wings Air) if I can fly with Garuda.

Interesting, I have never been able to book directly with Lion or Batik. Their web site goes to a blank screen as soon as I try to book an actual flight from Canada. If I have a booking number I can add baggage, but can't book a flight. Garuda works however. I have used Nusatrip with no issues, but much prefer to book directly if at all possible.

Interesting, I have never been able to book directly with Lion or Batik. Their web site goes to a blank screen as soon as I try to book an actual flight from Canada. If I have a booking number I can add baggage, but can't book a flight. Garuda works however. I have used Nusatrip with no issues, but much prefer to book directly if at all possible.

NusaTrip accepts my United Explorer Visa card too. However, when you want to change the booking, that is when the trouble begins. I can not speak to anyone in NusaTrip. So make sure you make no booking mistake!

Interesting, I have never been able to book directly with Lion or Batik. Their web site goes to a blank screen as soon as I try to book an actual flight from Canada. If I have a booking number I can add baggage, but can't book a flight. Garuda works however.
People who mention they have booked through LionAir probably haven't tried in the past 4-5 months.
Last year/last autumn is history, you must go to the newer Batik/Malindo web site to be able to book now.

Could not find a thread discussing the subject (may have overlooked, though...)

A family group of 7 is traveling to DPS in April 2025, and will continue on to Labuan Bajo. There appear to be lots of web sites claiming to handle online bookings. Is e.g. Airpaz a serious outfit or should I book directly with the airline (in this case, Batik Air)?

Any advice / experience in this matter most appreciated!

Best,

Rene
As far af Garuda-Indonesia.com, it depends on from where you departure. From DPS, let’s pick a date of 6 April 2025 to LBJ 13 April 2025 for 7 passengers, there are no available flights. However if you fly from Jakarta (CGK), there are some flights available.

If you go by NusaTrip.com, there are plenty flights available on Batik Air or Lion Air. @Luko mentioned in post #19, above that the more recent Batik/Malindo, you should be able to book it directly with the airlines, instead of through NusaTrip.com. Try that & let us know how it goes.

Agree that Garuda is the preferred airline. However I had a Garuda direct flight from Labuan Bajo LBJ to Bali DPS April 2025 changed to LBJ to Jakarta, Jakarta to DPS this week by email notification, adding 5 hours to the travel time.

No thank you.

Tried to call Garuda, no dice. Remarkably they responded to an email and am trying to get a refund to my credit card and book a direct flight with another domestic airline.

Back
Top Bottom