Purchasing domestic flights in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree that Garuda is the preferred airline. However I had a Garuda direct flight from Labuan Bajo LBJ to Bali DPS April 2025 changed to LBJ to Jakarta, Jakarta to DPS this week by email notification, adding 5 hours to the travel time.

No thank you.

Tried to call Garuda, no dice. Remarkably they responded to an email and am trying to get a refund to my credit card and book a direct flight with another domestic airline.

I find it odd myself that direct flights from LBJ to DPS by Garuda 8 months away are not available. It may be because they can’t compete with Batik & Lion Air.

Garuda is not offering some far flung domestic flights either, like Sorong-Kaimana. I can only get it with Wings Air. So, to go to Kaimana (Triton Bay), I ended up flying with Garuda from Jakarta to Sorong and with Wings Air from Sorong to Kaimana.

Some credit cards from USA would not approve the charge coming from Indonesia for security reason.
That's why I only use AMEX for travel. Never had any problems with denied transactions.

Visa and Mastercard have repeatedly left me stranded without being able to pay for anything. Those cards insist on sending you a text message to approve the transaction, which doesn't work when you're on a remote island without cell service.

AMEX is the only card to have.

People who mention they have booked through LionAir probably haven't tried in the past 4-5 months.
Last year/last autumn is history, you must go to the newer Batik/Malindo web site to be able to book now.
I just tried to book on the Lion Air App for Nov 6 DPS to CKG - shows no available flights - which is nonsense. Nusatrip shows at least half a dozen Lion Air flights. On the Lion Air web site looking for the same day it goes from "checking that you are human" to the same blank screen have seen far too many times. Not sure what is going on but from my location I can't book directly with Lion Air. However following your suggestion I went to Batik Malaysia and was able to find flights on Batik, but no Lion Air flights. What URL are you using to get to Batik/Malindo?

For 5 or 6 years, I had been able to book Lionair flights on their site--though only using Amex not Visa. Before that, it was not possible, and, as of this year, it was again no longer possible. Ended up booking with Trip.com without problems. I general, I agree it's best to fly Garuda and best to book directly with airlines. But sometimes that's not an option.

I find it odd myself that direct flights from LBJ to DPS by Garuda 8 months away are not available. It may be because they can’t compete with Batik & Lion Air.

Garuda is not offering some far flung domestic flights either, like Sorong-Kaimana. I can only get it with Wings Air. So, to go to Kaimana (Triton Bay), I ended up flying with Garuda from Jakarta to Sorong and with Wings Air from Sorong to Kaimana.
Before the pandemic, Garuda started a subsidiary flying nice new Embraer jets to places like Kaimana. It was great being able to avoid Lionair and their baggage fees. Alas, that option is gone.

^^^^ This.

Book directly and use whatsapp/phone number and email that you will be able to monitor during the trip.

Few weeks ago, one flight change (three hours delay) was announced to us by whatsapp the day before the flight, in a number we didn't monitor (our bad) so we didn't learn about it before reaching the airport. Another flight change (again a couple of hours delay) was announced to us by e-mail. Go figure. At least we got the second one. Both flights were with Batik booked directly on different trips/tickets.

FYI when I booked my Jakarta to Labuan Bajo ticket back in February 2024 (for August 2024) Garuda was actually the same price as Batik. If possible, go for Garuda. Batik's quality and aircrafts' condition have droped considerably post covid.
Many thanks to all for your hyper-useful info.

Alas, Garuda does not fly on the days we need to do the DPS-LBJ v.v. trip.

Batik appears "best" option, will book directly with them, I guess.

Thanks again,

Rene

Reactions: Dan
Let us know how it goes!

Make sure you buy enough access baggage weight. No fund to pay them at the check-in counter, not only it will cost more, but also delay the check-in time.

I used Batik Air last April for my DPS-LBJ-DPS flights and they changed my return timing to an earlier slot in the day which could have compromised my diving the day before if I'd been diving on air.

Fortunately it all worked out, but be aware of possible last minute changes with very short notice.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Booked online directly with Batik, no issues (using a US-based Visa card).

Hope it all goes according to plan! (but realize schedules are far from airtight...).

Best,

Rene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom