Purchase Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatoys:
Thanks... Appreciate the plug... and just want to toss in one additional thought. With a reg like a 650, scubapro knows which serial numbers have the problem, and can notify customers who have filed warranty papers to bring it in for the "fix". Would you even be notified if you have a gray market item that has a recall?? No... maybe you'll find out by seeing a posting on a board - but the company will not notify you. In some ways, I feel that is one of the most important aspects of buying authorized gear.

In the last few years, I have seen recalls on various equipment from Aeris, Oceanic, Sherwood, Genesis, Atomic, Tusa, ScubaPro, Uwatec, etc. If something that could have been easily fixed goes wrong on a reg at 100 feet, probably the words coming from my mouth will not be, "Yea but think of the 8 dollars I saved..."

I think we should seperate "recalls" (safety related) from performance related defects which Scubapro and other mfgrs may decide to correct during regular (or irregular) service. Recalls involve safety. They may be government dirrected or voluntary on the part of the mfgr. It is strongly in the mfgrs interest to correct any safety defects that he has acknowledged in his products. To do otherwise would .... anybody not see what happened to Firestone? When a recall happens, it doesn't much matter where you bought your gear or even if you are the original owner. They want to fix it because it you are damaged, their liability has already been established. When SP did a recall on the G500 it was even announced in all the popular dive magazines. You do not have to be very concerned with recall notifications in making your decision on where to buy. Unless you just think the possibility of a letter sent to you as the registered owner is really worth a couple hundred extra!

awap:
I think we should seperate "recalls" (safety related) from performance related defects which Scubapro and other mfgrs may decide to correct during regular (or irregular) service. Recalls involve safety. They may be government dirrected or voluntary on the part of the mfgr. It is strongly in the mfgrs interest to correct any safety defects that he has acknowledged in his products. To do otherwise would .... anybody not see what happened to Firestone? When a recall happens, it doesn't much matter where you bought your gear or even if you are the original owner. They want to fix it because it you are damaged, their liability has already been established. When SP did a recall on the G500 it was even announced in all the popular dive magazines. You do not have to be very concerned with recall notifications in making your decision on where to buy. Unless you just think the possibility of a letter sent to you as the registered owner is really worth a couple hundred extra!

Oh yea... I know when it comes to safety, the manufacturer is not going to let a problem stay out there... but for example, when there was a recall recently on an release valve on a BC, I had multiple customers come in with a postcard from the manufacturer and ask to have the service done. Are there some still diving the BC's that are not aware of the problem they had?? I'd bet. I don't know about you, but I don't even check on recalls on vehicles I drive.

My regs came from leisure pro as well. Not one bit of a problem. The only thing we found out is that the regs I have s600/mk25 are a european model, thats it. They are totally the same except the yoke bracket had a plastic shield on it. Kepp if they work good.

I had surgery last year Marek. I had to take the Doctor's word that he was qualified to operate on me. Luckily he was as good as he said he was. The reality is most of us never know how good the doctor, mechanic, teacher, or technician is that services "US." We frequently have to believe them when they say they are good. Kinda scary when you really think about it huh? Yikes.

I have had my gear serviced at LP and I am still alive! They didn't charge me for Scuba Pro parts and they discussed the work with me, changed my computer batteries for free, and gave me all my old parts back in a neat little baggie. All this service cost me $39 bucks. Not bad. For me it's good because I live here. I should add that I have never personally read of anyone on scubaboard using LP for service. I'm sure if I did a search I would. Nonetheless, I write because it's now public record and that's what this board is for. Well, one of the reasons anyway.

Next time I buy regs I will be calling scuba toys if they will have me! Heck, if I lived close to Larry, I would pay higher prices for what I am sure is excellent local service. I wish I had a LDS like his here in NYC.

Let me point out that the original poster never said that the numbers were "filed" off. He stated that not all of the BOXES had serial numbers and that the gear appeared new.

Again, I am not writing to defend LP. I am writing to let it be know that I had a positive experience using them and hate it when people slander, especially second hand. If I got bad service I would write that too. That said, I agree that LP employees have very dry personalities. It's all business with them. They have no interest in your personal life or in you knowing about them. They simply aren't for everyone. Particularly the new diver. My wife doesn't like to go in the store without me because she gets better service when I am there but I am not going into all that...

scubadobadoo:
I had surgery last year Marek. I had to take the Doctor's word that he was qualified to operate on me. Luckily he was as good as he said he was. The reality is most of us never know how good the doctor, mechanic, teacher, or technician is that services "US." We frequently have to believe them when they say they are good. Kinda scary when you really think about it huh? Yikes.

I have had my gear serviced at LP and I am still alive! They didn't charge me for Scuba Pro parts and they discussed the work with me, changed my computer batteries for free, and gave me all my old parts back in a neat little baggie. All this service cost me $39 bucks. Not bad.

You're right.. a lot of this is trust. Actually, I would check whether the doctor operating on me is legit! And I at least take a glance at a car repair shop's certifications before trusting repairs to them... and I particularly take a close look at what the shop itself looks like.

That's my point... Taking stuff in to a LDS, you at least have a chance to talk with the tech (hopefully), see what the shop looks like, and maybe see their certifications on the wall. None of that is any proof, but at least they're indicators.

With LP, much as I like to buy from them, there's absolutely no indicator that I've got, regarding who's fixing my stuff.

Which is why I asked you... at least you've had the opportunity to visit there and get some kind of an impression.

And thanks. You've reassured me.

--Marek

Update:

I changed my mind after reading the remainder of posts after my last entry and reading a number of other threads.

I have returned the entire order to LP. They gave me a RMA# without any hassle. The possibility of the 650 have problems was more of a risk than I was willing to take. And, I think that I was “over-purchasing” for my needs.

I then called Larry at ScubaToys. I must say that I felt as if I was dealing with someone that I’d made many previous purchases from. Thanks Larry!

I have two complete setups, BCDs too, on the way from Texas.

Thanks everyone for the tips, this is a great forum.

cfelliot:
Update:

I changed my mind after reading the remainder of posts after my last entry and reading a number of other threads.

I have returned the entire order to LP. They gave me a RMA# without any hassle. The possibility of the 650 have problems was more of a risk than I was willing to take. And, I think that I was “over-purchasing” for my needs.

I then called Larry at ScubaToys. I must say that I felt as if I was dealing with someone that I’d made many previous purchases from. Thanks Larry!

I have two complete setups, BCDs too, on the way from Texas.

Thanks everyone for the tips, this is a great forum.

Thanks for the feedback. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom