Purchase Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfelliot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am fearful that I may have made a mistake and would like to ask the advice of members of this forum. I have had good luck in other forums for other hobbies and interests. This post will serve as my first in this group.

I am planning to take a trip to Hawaii this spring and decided to purchase my own equipment. After a bit of research, I decided on Scubapro for the regulators (MK25/X650), octopus (R390) and gauges (MINIVIP2). I ordered two sets (2nd for wife) from LeisurePro of New York.

The equipment arrived today. While unpacking and inspecting the items, I became aware that the serial numbers had either been removed or blacked out on all but one of the boxes.

I then discovered that LeisurePro is not an authorized dealer and their alternate warranty offer etc, etc.

I ask the following questions:

Should I return the items, re-buy local and contest the Visa charge if necessary?
What are my real risks if I keep the equipment?

Thanks!

Leisure pro are not authorised dealers, they do state that they match manufacturers warranties, I've never really tested that. I have RMA'd stuff I've bought from them without issue.

The question is what is the local support worth to you, my guess is that leisure pro was much cheaper than the local store.

I have bought from Leisure Pro in the past and returned items without any issues, should you decide to return your purchases. First, I think you you need to do some research to determine if you want to keep the regulators. Basically, you are buying used equipment that may or may not have been used, so no warrantee. Is the warrantee worth the difference in price? Should a part fail that was warranteed, you would pay to replace it, not Scuba Pro. Not a common situation. Also, you need to learn what is needed to keep the warrantee valid. I think Scuba Pro wants the regulator serviced every year. If you do not plan to service you gear as required, a warrantee may not be a concern. A bigger issue might be the LDS that you use and how they feel about losing the sale but expected to provide the service.

I have bought used gear, to date, I have not been burned. You need to researching the product lines and their quality. Better gear has less issues.

Good Luck - Tom

FWIW I've never heard of Leisure pro selling used equipment that wasn't marked as such.

Since they can't buy from the manufacturer they do buy equipment off other vendors. I'd imagine this is why the serial numbers are blacked out. The vendors in question would loose their status as authorised dealers if the manufacturers could trace the stock back to them.

The equipment does not look used in any way.

After reading the replies that I received and looking at other posts the issue appears to boils down to cost for me. I got all the equipment above for $1400. If I had paid full MSRP for the stuff, I would have been about $2000. In other interests, I like to buy from local dealers. The added cost is well worth the extras that a dealer provides, but the delta of $600 in this case seemed steep. I will buy our BCs from a local dealer and have the dealer assemble the equipment. I’ll see if I can have the dealer check the other equipment, at some cost I’m sure.

I am comforted by the fact that the general consensus appears to be that LeisurePro will stand by their equivalent warrantee.

Thanks for the replies.

I live in NYC and go to Leisure Pro's store once a week. Most folks don't realize that they have a show room. I have spent thousands and have saved thousands by buying fom them. They match any original warranty including parts on your annual service on Scuba Pro gear, as long as you use THEM for service and warranty problems that may come up. They don't sell used gear unless you want used gear. They do buy some items from the original manufacturer but don't usually offer the original warranty because they aren't "authorized" by most. If the numbers were removed, it is possible that it was done by the person/LDS/store/God knows that sold them to LP so they wouldn't get in truoble for selling them. My Scuba Pro Regs from LP had US manuals, didn't have the numbers scratched out, were new, and have worked perfectly for over 100 dives now. Those are the facts as I have experienced them in person many times. Also, LP will take your gear back within (I think 14 days) if it is still new with no questions asked, minus shipping. Go to the LP page and READ the clearly marked policies. They aren't evil people. However they aren't right for all people. Heck, I have even seen LDS employees shopping at LP for stuff the stores they work in don't carry.

All that said above, many other stores with an internet presence will match LP's prices and give you the original warranty. One with a strong presence here on this board and a good reputation is scubatoys.com. I have recently shopped with them and am pleased thus far. I might add that they BEAT LP's price and I didn't have to pay taxes. Just another option even better than the first. LP prices with original warranty, assuming they have what you are looking for! Nice! Another store is Rex Dive Center or rexdive.com. A good LDS that will match LP prices, but only if you ask them to.

The downside for the above options is that you won't get "local" support and that may be something YOU need for many reasons. Do a search under "Leisure Pro" in this forum and you will have all the answers you need. Just be aware that many of the answers will come from people that have never purchased from or read the LP policies.

If you have a good LDS then you may be better off going with them in the future, even for a little more. If I had one that I REALLY loved I would, but I would NEVER pay $1000 at my LDS for something I can get with a warranty online for $500. You do the math. If you aren't happy with your LDS then what can I say. Internet here you come, but to your LDS you go to pay them to set your INTERNET gear up. Tricky at best. Others will offer many points of view that will be helpful.

Good luck and welcome to the world of owning your own gear. It is a GOOD thing. Were I you, I would just keep your gear and have fun with it! You got a great price for a geat product. You didn't make a mistake, you just made a decision without doing the proper homework. Don't sweat it. Many have done it before you. That's why I am chiming in here. Take care! JMHO's. :wink:

Well, in your particular situation, I would have even a few concerns with the equipment you got. The X650 reg has been plagued with problems from scubapro. We first got them in our store about a year ago, just to have them take them all back after a few months due to some major problems with the regs. They have been going round and round with "silent" recalls... for lack of a better term - on that reg.

I am finally getting some of the new ones that work properly in a little bit... And we're a huge authorized dealer. I'd be willing to make a decent wager, that the ones you got from LP were bootlegged some time ago, and are the ones with the problems. And since there is no warranty on them, fixing them will cost you more than you saved.

Anytime someone is looking to buy equipment, if they hunt around, they can easily find authorized dealers that will match the gray market dealers. We just can't advertise lower prices due to dealer agreements... but that's what lets us offer full warranty on all items.

I have purchased from LP often and have been generally very satisfied. However, A friend had some first hand experience with the LP warrenty on computer and, while it all worked out in the end, the service was extremely slow. The computer made two trips to the manufacturer before a new replacement was authorized. This left him without a computer for about 6 months as LP didn't offer a loaner. If you had gone for the G250HP or S600, I would expect no problems other than maybe with your LDS. With the questionable history of the X650, I would not be comfortable with the possibility of problems and how much time you may spend without regs trying to fix them.

Larry's being modest. He is the only exception to the rule when it comes the the LDS (that I am aware of). If you give him a call when you are ready to buy, he wll work with you and is competitive with LP and, he and his crew are a great bunch complete with "value-add". If I were in your shoes, I would call LP and figure how to swap those 2nds for some G250's. The 390 is excellent (you can use it as the primary) and swap 650 for some 190 octos, also an excellent 2nd, and save even more. You won't have any problems with LP. I have used them heavily and saved 1000's litterally and have been entirely satisified. LP is a well run business and will do right by you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom