Pull dump or non exhaust elbo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

long before going DIR i completely separated my pull-dump from my bc just by using it like it was made to be used -- pulling it. i always had it serviced etc etc.

i was never in danger, it was a no big deal warm water rec dive and i was at depth ascending anyway but i'm a big believer that those things WILL fail.

I always use a pull dump in the inflator and have not seen any problems other than the steel cable corrodes and breaks eventually (why do the idiots use crimped steel cable, when crimped 300 lb monofilamnt fishing line would last forever and "never' fail or wear out?)
Do you think it would be possible to replace the wire with fishing line?

Do you think it would be possible to replace the wire with fishing line?

I have replaced the broken wire on 2-3 (at least) BC's that I've owned. They often use a very thin stanless wire that has a plastic covering, but when they apply the metal crimp, it cuts through the plastic sheath and accelrates corrosion at that location. I actually went so far as to directly bitch to sea Quest about it, but it seems they have not changed.

When the wire breaks, it only affects the pull dump capacity of the inflator, but I guess it could facilitate damage to the hose, if the wire is not there to take the strain of a hard tug.

Of course 200-300 lb monoline will work! It is really unbelievable that they would use inferior materials that probably cost more than monofilament.

But none of that matters in this forum. Please take your discussion of non-DIR gear choices elsewhere.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom