Puffy, swollen eyes after a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leon

Reaction score
After a dive yesterday, my buddy's eyes were swollen and puffy - looked like he'd gone 12 rounds with Tyson. Other than that he was fine and the swelling had almost disappeared by the time we got home. He had taken some Sinutab but usually does so with no ill effect in the past.

We only went to 9 meters for 15 minutes. No crayfish/lobsters I'm afraid.

Any ideas? Here's a picture of him.

Cheers

This is just a thought but could it have been mask squeeze causing swelling?

Chad

A friend of mine and I went diving .... on the way down he didn't equalize the mask ....upon surfacing he said his eyes were sore and after a few hours his eyes were completely red and swollen .. very odd looking!!! it did look like he'd been in a bar fight .....this cleared after a few days without permenent damage

Found this thread after suffering similar issues and searching. This has happened to me in the past..mostly because of having suntan lotion on face and NOT getting if off prior to putting mask on. This compromises the seal and water enters the mask...then sometimes I forget to rinse after I put on the defog and get a serious DOUBLE WHAMMY...with water coming in..mixing with the defog and MAN that hurts.

Someone recommended preparation H...burned my face so that was a no go...ice always helps but I stumbled upon a real good cure for me the other day when this happened.

I have benadryl GEL in the cabinet....got that for the kids after mosquitio bite problems awhile back. Decided to give it a try....WOW..immediately cools the areas under the eyes and cheeks....feels really good and takes swelling down. Would recommend to those that also have this issue...good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom