Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the misspelling Jax !!

It is all corrected now.

:) . . . but [ignorant] I still don't know what that means. [/ignorant]

I've "seen" Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta from Google Earth -- that's it!

Is Nuevo Vallarta on the sea? Google Earth makes it look like it is set back a ways.

Do you know where the Occidental Allegro is? Does it have good diving around it? Everything I've read about diving in the area points us back to Puerto Vallarta.

Occidental Allegro is on the beach at Nuevo Vallarta very close to the entrance from the ocean to the canal system. Nuevo Vallarta is at the edge of the bay of Banderas too (same as Puerto Vallarta).

No diving in this area though but it is around 11 Nautical Miles from the Marina in Nuevo Vallarta to Los Arcos which is one of the most biodiverse dive sites in the bay.

Puerto Vallarta is just south of the Ameca river which divides the states of Jalisco and Nayarit.

Hope it helps.

Thanks! That's cool! . . . I think . . .

11 nautical miles . . . I get seasick really easily. How long is that boat ride, please?

Los Arcos is about 20 min by boat from Marina Vallarta and 30 Min from the Marina in nuevo Vallarta.

Contact Alicia at gueri25@hotmail.com pr ali here at scubaboard

Thank you! :d

That means I'll chum only 3 or 4 times . . . :shakehead:

Yesterday we had a cloudy and sort of rainy day in Puerto Vallarta.

In contrast , today we had very clear skies and great sea conditions. Very little surge in the bay and good diving conditions at los Arcos.

The water temperature in the shallows was around 75 F, the visibility around 40 ft.
and very little current.

A beautiful day for cruising in the bay of Banderas and the canals in nuevo Vallarta .

Sorry, this tiem only surface pictures from very diverse subjects taken this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_5360.jpg
    IMG_5360.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5358.jpg
    IMG_5358.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5315.jpg
    IMG_5315.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5330.jpg
    IMG_5330.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5350.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5333.jpg
    IMG_5333.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5355.jpg
    IMG_5355.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5359.jpg
    IMG_5359.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I really appreciate you keeping this thread updated! Thank you! :)

I really appreciate you keeping this thread updated! Thank you! :)

I personally really like trying to keep it updated. I have been diving in the area since I was a kid and I still enjoy exploring it very much.

Alicia my wife has done many dives in the bay especially a few years ago when she was doing a 5 year nudibranch survey for her PhD in marine ecology.

Here is something about a visit she did to Point Lobos/Monterey in California with our friends from BAUE back in 2007.

BAUE Nudibranch Project Dive Video

By the way, BAUE has done wonderful survey and mapping projects in Point Lobos very similar to what we are trying to do in los Arcos.

Today she went diving with a group and according to her the conditions in Arcos were as follows:

Visibility in the wall area and Bajo del Cristo down to 70 ft : 20 to 30 ft
Water temperature: 77 F / no thermocline above 70ft.
Moderate to strong surge

There was a manta sighted at Bajo del Cristo

Tomorrow I start some dive training with a friend of mine so we will be diving a little deeper than usual on the weekend and will be able to post more information on conditions in Majahuitas and Arcos in the coming days.

Last edited:
Majuahitas had very nice conditions today for this time of the year !!

Water temperature: Incredibly 79-80 F down to 60 ft !!!

Visibility 40 to 50 ft down to 60 ft

Very little surge and very little current.

Aside from the abundant Angel fish a couple of Eagle rays were sighted. Also some humpbacks showed themselves in the area while cruising from Marina Vallarta towards the dive site.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom