Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 mm or 7 mm one piece suit would be good.

Hood would be good too, but no need for gloves.

Water is still warm (warmer than normal years due to El Niño) but it is cooling down and should be reaching around 65 F under the thermocline some time in the followimg weeks. This past weekend we were using 3 and 5 mm suits.

For deeper (80 to 210 Feet) and longer diving from January to May a trilaminete dry suit with 200 gram undergarments is what I use .

Last edited:
My family and I spent the last week of November diving in Puerto Vallarta. This was our first visit to the area and most of our dives were with PVScuba, under the excellent guidance of Ramses. We stayed well south of town at the Barcello Mismaloya, with hopes of doing shore dives, at our leisure, with the on-site Chico’s Dive Shop, in addition to boat dives with PVScuba. Let’s just say that Chico’s does not seem cater to experienced divers who only want to rent tanks and weights. We did manage to rent from them one day and get a couple of nice shore dives in, including a nice deep dive (104’) with plenty of rays. They totally let us down on the last day there, after we told them the day before that we would want tanks and weights and told them when we would be there to get them. We arrive at the shop the next day, gear in hand, just to be told they had no tanks for us. (I had read on SB before of others who had this problem with Chico’s. I can confirm that they can NOT be counted on. I just thought confirming with them the day before would avoid this problem.) PVScuba, on the other hand, did everything they said they would do for us, plus much more. Alex is a very professional operator who knows how to run a business. Ramses is a guide who knows how to get along with everyone and knows every inch of the dive sites. Their boat, the “Manta” is perfectly laid out for divers, there is plenty of room for gearing up, the boat is the fastest dive boat in the bay, it rides like a dream and the captain is excellent.
As we were staying at Mismaloya, all our diving was in the south, being picked up right at the beach by the “Manta”. Though the visibility can’t compare to Maui, the diving was still excellent with fun rocky structure. We always had a good fifty feet of visibility and saw a great variety of life; multiple types of eels, angels, wrasse, bonito, turtles, eagle rays, and even two days with mantas. You also get extras with PVScuba that you can’t put a price on. If you go to Los Arcos more than once, you get a new spot to explore. If they spot whales on the way, they take the extra half hour to get up close and personal with them. If they are diving Chimo, they will take to boat over to a small fishing village (sorry no tourist shops in it) and you can visit a “real” village between dives. They also use steel 100’s! What a great operation in a fun diving location. We will be using PVScuba on our next visit and would recommend them to divers of any experience level, as they cater to you, not the other way around.

Adolfo from Vallarta Undersea / Vallartech has reported yestarday that near summer conditons for diving in the bay were still present during this first half of December 09.

Water is of course a bit cooler than during the summer months (around 77 F / 25 C) and visibility has remained fair in most of the dive sites.

Humpbacks are in the bay and their singing can be heard in some of the dive sites.

I hope everyone has some great dives in the area this holiday season 2009/2010 !!

attachment.php

Christmas Tree at Los Arcos​

attachment.php

New year's light 2010 at the moorings in Los Arcos

Attachments

• christmas tree 2009 los Arcos SB.jpg
    christmas tree 2009 los Arcos SB.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 206
  • light at los arcos SB.jpeg
    light at los arcos SB.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Visibility has stayed around 40 ft in Majahuitas and Los Arcos according to the staff at Vallarta Undersea / Vallartech

Water temperatures above the thermocline have been around 75 F.

Really nice for this time of the year !! Also great for doing training at every level.

Can't wait to get in the water again at los Arcos and other dive sites around new years. I will post a more detailed report in a few days.

For now, greetings from the gulf of Mexico coast (the port city of Tampico).

Hello - this is a great forum, I am looking forward to reading thru the posts on here.

Can someone please tell me how the diving is in Puerto Vallarta in early June?

My husband is an experienced diver (this is his account) but my 14 yo son and I are just getting certified this year. We had a beautiful time in Cozumel last year and are unsure if we want to go back or if we should try something new.

Thanks!

I just went diving with the guys at PVScuba in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Alex was well organized and professional & Ramses, the Instructor/DM very helpful and friendly, plus he had some cool stories. Captain Moy really knows the place.

Water was around 76ºF which apparently is warm for December. We didn't encounter the Mantas nor saw whales in the bay, but the 4 immersions were quite enjoyable. On Saturday we went to Mahauitas, great visibility, plenty of fish life and interesting dive buddies. On Monday we went to Los Arcos, which looked like Grand Central Station at Rush hour. We did find a huge moray eel, plus a huge school of snappers (I think) that looked delicious, and rock formations are quite interesting and easy to navigate by.

Last edited:
You can go back in this thread to post #164

Here is a copy of that

Keep in mind this was an El Niño year (regarding water temps).

First images from the summer Bahia Banderas small animal/nudibranch photo Safari
Here are the first images from Allison Vitsky taken a couple of weeks ago during the photo safari with Ali Hermosillo

Allison Vitsky (vitskypenfoundUW) : photos : Puerto Vallarta/Bahia des Banderas July 2009

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did !!!

More images in the following posts ......

Conditions at Majahuitas last Friday the 17th of July 09,

86 F down to 40 ft

Good viz, around 60 ft

Flat seas and mellow current from north to south !!

Safe diving !!

Water is still around 75 F for diving.

No big time cooling yet as it is supposed to during this time of the year.

Tide changes in the last few days have been very large. The upper mangorve canal in Nuevo Vallarta almost dried up in the afternoon as I was getting the boat ready to go out and see the fireworks display on new years eve. (Had to leave it anchored for a few hours in the middle of the canal)

It has been great for night kayaking with the beautiful full moon.

Fireworks were great all along the bay from Mismaloya to Punta Mita but especially in front of Nuevo Vallarta.

Back to diving on sunday the 3rd.

Happy 2010 !!

Attachments

• IMG_5280.jpg
    IMG_5280.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Fire works were great escpecially in forn of Nuevo Vallarta.

Good Morning! :d

What does that statement "in forn of Neuvo Vallarta" mean?

We are thinking of diving there . . . Our time share is in Neuvo Vallarta . . . and I am unfamiliar with any of it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom