Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weird phenomenon in the middle of the bay today .

Strange winter we have had so far !

attachment.php

That is a bad Azz Picture!!! What a Great shot!!!

Water is still fairly warm in the Bay of Banderas, average of 77 F in the shallows.

Unbelieveable what the weather and sea temperatures have been this winter so far in the Puerto Vallarta area.

Lots of rain some days. It should be totally dry and sunny now and stay that way until May/ June or so.

Yesterday and today it rained in almost the whole country !!

Last edited:
Water is still fairly warm in the Bay of Banderas, average of 77 F in the shallows.

Unbelieveable what the weather and sea temperatures have been this winter so far in the Puerto Vallarta area.

Lots of rain some days. It should be totally dry and sunny now and stay that way until May/ June or so.

Yesterday and today it rained in almost the whole country !!

Wow, last time I used my 7MM looks like this time its going to be the 3MM
Whats it like at depth?

Wow, last time I used my 7MM looks like this time its going to be the 3MM
Whats it like at depth?

The temperature today down to 60 ft was around 77 F at los Arcos and the Viz was 20 to 30 ft (reported by Armando from Vallarta Undersea/Vallartech).

Starting on Friday next week I will be teaching and thus doing some normoxic trimix / tech 1 level dives at los Arcos or Majahuitas. Will let you know what the depths of the thermoclines are and how low the temperature goes. Yesterday and today we've had some beautiful sunny (but cool ) days in the bay !!

Going kayaking out of Mismaloya and heading east early tomorrow, will report on the conditions too.

Also see the following email !!

Happy diving and don't forget to try some of the Mexican microbrews . Unfortunately no Belgian style Triples in Mexico yet .

Last edited:
Here are a couple of images from the snow that fell in the higher elevations of Nayarit on the 15th of January (the State were the northern portion of Bahia de Banderas and also Nuevo Vallarta are located).

This is the la Yesca area very close to where the new dam (3rd along the rio Santiago canyon ) is being built.

Attachments

• Nieve cerca de la presa la Yesca Nayarit 1.JPG
    Nieve cerca de la presa la Yesca Nayarit 1.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 82
  • sierra presa la Yesca con nieve.jpg
    sierra presa la Yesca con nieve.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
The temperature today down to 60 ft was around 77 F at los Arcos and the Viz was 20 to 30 ft (reported by Armando from Vallarta Undersea/Vallartech).

Starting on Friday next week I will be teaching and thus doing some normoxic trimix / tech 1 level dives at los Arcos or Majahuitas. Will let you know what the depths of the thermoclines are and how low the temperature goes. Yesterday and today we've had some beautiful sunny (but cool ) days in the bay !!

Going kayaking out of Mismaloya and heading east early tomorrow, will report on the conditions too.

Also see the following email !!

Happy diving and don't forget to try some of the Mexican microbrews . Unfortunately no Belgian style Triples in Mexico yet .
Microbrews eh? You'll have to take some time off to point me in the right direction. :wink:

So,

Conditions yesterday at Los Arcos.

Beautiful sunny day !!

Moderate surge but ok for kayaking even for entering the water at Mismaloya beach. A little rough if you wanted to shoot macro images in the shallower areas of los Arcos though.

Visibility 15 to 20 ft.

Lots of turtles around.

Water temperature 75 F in the shallows and 73 F at 200 feet (did not dive that deep but lowered a bottom timer from the kayak on a line to check out the thermoclines close to the wall).

In summary,

Water is very warm for the season and it is impressive how deep it goes !!

My DUI is out of service for a leak in the zip seal to suit joint, so I will venture with a wetsuit next weekend. Hope it stays the same at depth as it was yesterday !!

For Brewski some names of some of the microbrews in Mexico !!

Cucapa (from Mexicali BC, 7 styles) The Best Rated Mexican Craft Beer, Cucapa Brewing Company
Minerva (from Guadalajara, 3 styles) Cervecería Minerva
Caballero Aguila
Casta
Tijuana

Let me think about some more...

Last edited:
So,

Conditions yesterday at Los Arcos.

Beautiful sunny day !!

Moderate surge but ok for kayaking even for entering the water at Mismaloya beach. A little rough if you wanted to shoot macro images in the shallower areas of los Arcos though.

Visibility 15 to 20 ft.

Lots of turtles around.

Water temperature 75 F in the shallows and 73 F at 200 feet (did not dive that deep but lowered a bottom timer from the kayak on a line to check out the thermoclines close to the wall).

In summary,

Water is very warm for the season and it is impressive how deep it goes !!

My DUI is out of service for a leak in the zip seal to suit joint, so I will venture with a wetsuit next weekend. Hope it stays the same at depth as it was yesterday !!

For Brewski some names of some of the microbrews in Mexico !!

Cucapa (from Mexicali BC, 7 styles) The Best Rated Mexican Craft Beer, Cucapa Brewing Company
Minerva (from Guadalajara, 3 styles) Cervecería Minerva
Caballero Aguila
Casta
Tijuana

Let me think about some more...

Gracias

I am soooo looking forward to this trip. Its been two or three years since our last visit.

Going out with a technical student to Majahuitas or Los Arcos for 3 days starting on Saturday.

There are open spots available to go dive these sites !!

Please contact me if interested.

Happy diving !!

Going out with a technical student to Majahuitas or Los Arcos for 3 days starting on Saturday.

There are open spots available to go dive these sites !!

Please contact me if interested.

Happy diving !!

Hello
We are coming to PuertoVallarta for 2 weeks -after a hiatus of 4 years Feb 13-27th.
Have done some diving there before; a real "mixed bag" often crowded and not well organized. I am looking for recommendations for diving outfits/destinations (willing to travel reasonable distance from PV).
I am a "mature" diver (started back over :shocked2: 40 years ago) have PADI open water advanced, bring own octopus/comp. etc. Suggestions & recommendations would be appreciated!
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom