Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are going out from Marina Vallarta with Vallarta Undersea starting on Saturday the 13th Scuba diving puerto Vallarta Vallarta Undersea :: Escuela de Buceo Vallarta Under Sea - Scuba Diving

They have several fast boats from 23 to 33 feet and a full service dive store/operation that has been totally renovated this year.

If you are interested in Macro photography contact Alicia Hermosillo to guide you at gueri25@hotmail.com Puerto Vallarta highlights - a set on Flickr

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. July 2009 - Kevin Lee's Photos- powered by SmugMug

Today , it was Majahuitas onboard dive boat "Vallarta Undersea" with Captain Cherico.

Three different dive groups,

A nitrox course, a couple of weekend divers, and some technical dive training on my part with a student and friend.

Surgy and greener 78 F water down to 60 feet. Under 60 feet it cleared up very nicely with 60 to 70 feet viz and it cooled to 70 F, at 90 feet temp dropped further to 69 F or so.

This is the way the water usually behaves from December on !! It is the first I see of more normal conditions for this time of the year this season.

On the way back we could see the very lush jungle at Los Arcos and the south shore due to the winter rain, and also the Primavera " Spring " trees starting to bloom .

In summary, very nice diving under the thermocline, lots and lots of schooling fish and also a good amount of small critters.

The highlight of the day was a singing humpback male that could be heard very loudly !! After surfacing the crew let us know that it came swimming along right above us during the dive.

Happy diving !

Attachments

• IMG_6063.jpg
    IMG_6063.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Blooming Los Arcos .jpg
    Blooming Los Arcos .jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6056.jpg
    IMG_6056.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6071.jpg
    IMG_6071.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Just for the pleasure of diving the nice sites there and shooting some pictures this time !!

Anybody care to join ??

Los Arcos on Friday according to Alicia ,

Still 77 F down to 70 feet, very nice at bajo del Cristo. Beautiful day in the bay after the rain on Thusrday.

Marietas with nice conditions the day before, prior to the afternoon rain .

Humpbacks behavior has been spectacular these last days !

Thank you! :wavey:

Yesterday there was a lot of wind and surge from the north in the bay of Banderas so the navigation from Marina Vallarta to the dive site was very wet onboard dive boat Marla 1.

El Morro (located just outside the bay, past Islas Marietas) had a fair visibility of 40 to 50 feet and a very nice water temperature of 77 F down to 100 feet (no sign of cold water !).

Groups of Humpback whales were concentrated in the area between Marietas and Morro ( also known as los Anegados). Very intereresting behavior was displayed !! Full body in the air jumps as well as pectoral fin water slapping !! Also a very young calf was making repeated jumps very close to the boat as we headed towards the dive site past this area. This was really an incredible experience.

At el Morro just outside the cave on the south side and a depth of 90 feet a very large chevron Manta circled around. The behavior and size was similar to the Mantas of Socorrro (AKA the Revillagigedos). We hung around the area a little longer and it came around again to check us out !! This was the highlight of the day.

Los Arcos conditions according to Juan David who went out diving with a group onboard Marla 1 (Captain Emilio from Vallarta Undersea).

Water temperature down to 70 ft , 77 F / 24 C and visibility of 20 ft.
Under 70 ft the temperature dropped to 70 F / 21 C and the visibility got better (it is getting kind of chili now !)

Windy and surgy in the aftrenoon.

Happy diving !

Hi,
I'm planning to come to PV the week of March 15th and am wondering about the typical water conditions at that time (Los Arcos specifically). My wife and I are newly certified divers (only 2 dives logged) and would typically stay above 60ft. Your most recent report reads that visibility to 70ft is limited. My question is: for us novice divers, is it worth diving at this time of year given the limited visibility? Thanks

Hi! I´m going to Puerto vallarta next weekend (March 6-7, 2010). I'm diving in El Morro, Marietas and Los Arcos, can someone tell me how are the conditions over ther? water temp and visibility?

Thanks!

Read the above posts! Sounds about right for this time of year! A little green, but that's the pacific!

Back
Top Bottom