Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's good to see this thread. I've done yearly trips to PR and will probably go again later this year. The food is great. The prices are generally reasonable. Great topside life. The diving is wonderful and there are great beaches. La Parguera is my favorite for diving. I've also dove out of Fajardo and San Juan (Escambron).

What amazes me about PR is that so few people consider going there unless it's the boarding point for a cruise. And, to be frank, PR does not market itself well, at least on the west coast where I reside. The most recent article about PR was an article about the musician Bad Bunny, Maybe it's understandable based on demographics and distance. When I mention that I went to Puerto Rico there's inevitably someone who asks me about Costa Rica. Go figure.

I encourage people to consider PR, especially Americans. "No passport, no problem!" I don't need to change money. My auto insurance and health insurance cover me there (check your policies). I don't really even need to plan anything. I just go.

Two hints: (1) I suggest getting a paper map. GPS and Google Maps have definitely improved over the years but a paper map is nice there. The tourist shops sometimes have them. If you're a member of AAA, you can get one there but you'll likely have to pay for it. (2) Don't speed in Puerto Rico.

And, to be frank, PR does not market itself well, at least on the west coast where I reside.
Interesting. It seems to me there's plenty of room for an individual dive op. that wants to do more business to advertise aggressively and build a following, even if the island as a whole doesn't push recreational diving.

Are any Puerto Rico dive op. staff active on ScubaBoard? Or posting any package deal specials? Or even just trip reports?

There's a thread called Dreaming of Curacao (IIRC) that appears to do just the sort of thing I'm talking about, bring an island to our attention, show it off and stoke interest.

It also helps if they do the legwork to make housing recommendations, food recommendations, etc..., so if anyone is intrigued by their offering, it's easy to quickly put together a hypothetical trip to consider.

Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo does a good job at this. No, they're not an 'all-in-one' (except the food) package deal like Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire, but they can show you what a given number of boat trips and dives will cost, show you a walking distance hotel partner, etc...

I suspect many people interested in destinations beyond the mainstream (e.g.: Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan, Belize, Florida Keys) and capable at doing a lot of their own research are at the point in their diving where they're looking farther afield - the Socorros, Galapagos, maybe the Philippines or Indonesia. Sure, some are splitting hairs between Cozumel accommodation and dive op. options, but if the seasoned people want to go farther, and the beginners stick to the 'safe' mainstream destinations, where does that leave Puerto Rico?

If a dive op. in Puerto Rico is by chance out there reading this, I don't think you need to wait for the government to push diving. Advertise, but orchestrate packages or make it easy to research them. Some of your competition does. I'd like to see that happen; choice is good! Are any Puerto Rican dive op.s doing this sort of outreach?

Interesting. It seems to me there's plenty of room for an individual dive op. that wants to do more business to advertise aggressively and build a following, even if the island as a whole doesn't push recreational diving.

Are any Puerto Rico dive op. staff active on ScubaBoard? Or posting any package deal specials? Or even just trip reports?

There's a thread called Dreaming of Curacao (IIRC) that appears to do just the sort of thing I'm talking about, bring an island to our attention, show it off and stoke interest.

It also helps if they do the legwork to make housing recommendations, food recommendations, etc..., so if anyone is intrigued by their offering, it's easy to quickly put together a hypothetical trip to consider.

Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo does a good job at this. No, they're not an 'all-in-one' (except the food) package deal like Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire, but they can show you what a given number of boat trips and dives will cost, show you a walking distance hotel partner, etc...

I suspect many people interested in destinations beyond the mainstream (e.g.: Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan, Belize, Florida Keys) and capable at doing a lot of their own research are at the point in their diving where they're looking farther afield - the Socorros, Galapagos, maybe the Philippines or Indonesia. Sure, some are splitting hairs between Cozumel accommodation and dive op. options, but if the seasoned people want to go farther, and the beginners stick to the 'safe' mainstream destinations, where does that leave Puerto Rico?

If a dive op. in Puerto Rico is by chance out there reading this, I don't think you need to wait for the government to push diving. Advertise, but orchestrate packages or make it easy to research them. Some of your competition does. I'd like to see that happen; choice is good! Are any Puerto Rican dive op.s doing this sort of outreach?
True, I’ve looked at PR a few times but just not enough info to get a feel for it, it would be nice if someone had a Bonaire/curaçao type of set up, unlimited tank option, vehicle and some tips on good dive spots and accommodations location etc.

Automated Wrecks and Obstructions System (AWOIS) has some interesting looking targets, but all on the eastern side of the island.

Attachments

• Puerto Rico.jpg
    Puerto Rico.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 65
I tried looking, with the travel hassles I looked like a good alternative but getting good info was difficult and getting to curaçao opened up and I dropped it.

how is shore diving there? Where can you get a deal on unlimited tanks, truck rental, this sort of thing.

True, I’ve looked at PR a few times but just not enough info to get a feel for it, it would be nice if
And that's it in a nutshell. It takes digging and research to get a handle on options, by which time somebody's probably mentioned Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman (maybe even Cayman Brac) and St. Croix as regional shore (and boat) diving options.

The question of Puerto Rican shore diving jarred my memory of other posts. Is it just not that good, or are there few spots or inconvenient locations, or do you have to 'be in the know,' or is it just a 'hidden gem' largely overlooked (odd since shore divers are an avid lot with limited options and always on the lookout for more)?

Under the Greater Antilles regional forum, 2 fairly recent threads.

1.) Puerto Rico - Culebra - Self Guided Shore Diving May 9, 2022. At this time, nobody as replied.

2.) P.R. Shore Sites Nov. 2, 2021. Short thread but interesting feed back; Crash Boat sounds good, and El Natural conditionally so (literally - read about the current and time of day issue). A dive shop was recommended.

Here's a question with an unknowable answer. How many dive trip planners think of Puerto Rico, start looking into it, get frustrated with the scattered availability of info., and over time shift to planning another destination because it's clearer and easier?

I checked online at Maduro Dive, Dive Travel Adventures, and didn't even see Puerto Rico available as a destination to look into. Checked Caradonna's site - ditto. Blue Water Dive Travel? Nope. So I went to PADI Travel online. Surely they would have it. If so, I didn't find it.

Puerto Rico is one of the Greater Antilles, close to the U.S., as part of the U.S. requires no passport and uses our currency and laws, etc..., so it's too big to miss. What's holding it back?

I've posted to this thread several times, and there is some great information already available within it about diving opportunities on the island.

We've been three times, would have been four by now, but that's another story.

I'll summarize some of our thoughts with regard to visiting the island.

First, there but for the sake of the US Congress, Puerto Rico is a separate country. Yes, US citizens can travel to it without a passport, and travel back to the US mainland without COVID testing, which has made it attractive in the most recent era.

Second, it is a big island! Over 100 miles long and over 30 miles wide, with a mountain range right down the middle of it which hinders convenient transportation. The primary metropolitan area, San Juan, has a population of close to 2.5 million people.

Third, it offers much more than only Scuba diving as an attraction. The island has a rich heritage and history. It has been "owned" and fought over forever since discovery and colonization of the Caribbean began. You get to experience a wonderful culture created out of multiple influences.

Finally, let's talk about Scuba diving, which we have tried describing in our prior postings.

You fly into San Juan, and then depart from there to whatever destination you have chosen. We chose to bring our dive gear because of the opportunity to dive, not the necessity to dive.

There is some diving around San Juan proper (the shore dive as Escambron, for example), but if you want to boat dive, our research shows that the nearest available to San Juan is Fajardo to the East.

We are currently considering staying at a resort that is in the Isla Verde region of San Juan, and approximately 25 miles from Fajardo. The dive shop we will be using will pick up at our resort and drive us to their shop. We find that acceptable.

Our other diving in Puerto Rico has been Rincon, La Parguera, Guanica, and Culebra. Each one required renting a car (and in the case of Culebra, a puddle-jumper flight), driving several hours, and making arrangements for multi-night stays.

Each of those destinations offered very unique diving experiences and proved to us to be well worth the effort.

I've posted to this thread several times, and there is some great information already available within it about diving opportunities on the island.
Yes, and you and others contributed info. so if someone (who somehow came to consider Puerto Rico for a dive trip, and found this forum and thread) strongly desires a dive vacation to Puerto Rico they get informed.
What amazes me about PR is that so few people consider going there unless it's the boarding point for a cruise.

I encourage people to consider PR, especially Americans.
Reminds me that Curacao came from 'Where's that?' to prominence as trip reports/fanfare mounted and dive industry people there posted here. Will Puerto Rico rise in dive destination prominence, or remain one of those overlooked 'gems' a minority of curious souls go looking for?

I have been there many times to dive. 2 of the times were very challenging but also kinda amazing**.
I fly into San Juan, rent a car, and head South and West as quickly as possible.
I dive Paradise Scuba in La Parguera 1st for a couple days (be sure to their BioBay tour one night) and the shoot up to Taino Divers in Rincon 2nd for a few days.
I always AirBnB at some seriously basic and cheap places, eat 90% of my food from grocery store purchases, and always find plenty to do and explore topside during non-diving hours.

**Arrived on Island 4 weeks after hurricanes Maria & Irma in 2017. No power on 90+% of the Island. Used my rental to charge my phone. Ate all meals from side of the road food trucks, no GPS/no phone service/no internet for 5 days.
**Arrived on Island 2 weeks after the last large earthquakes in Jan 2020. Drove through the damage on the South/southwest side. Felt many aftershocks that also made ceiling fans move. On one dive, approx 4-5 miles south of Parguera and Guanica, we "heard" an aftershock for about 15 sec while at 70'. Sounds exactly like super large industrial machine "knocking".

All each and every trip I took the people were amazing and super kind. Knowing a little Spanish goes a long way but not totally necessary.

There is so much to do!
If you like pirates of the Caribbean movies , there is San Cristobal Castle where #4 movie was filmed. The scene when they bring the dead man to the Spanish Conquistador only to know he wasn’t dead…. Was film at this castle. Regardless the Castle is full of heritage and artifacts from 500-600 years ago are in a museum were you can see first hand. Then there is food all over the island every where you go that’s bring tradition from Spain, Africa, local Indian culture, and American influence. Trust me you have to try them all and you will not experiences the Montezuma wraith and running like in Mexico . Ask for mofongo the traditional smash green plantain filled with seafood or fried pork . My favorite !!!!!

Then there is diving and snorkel. The parguera in the southwest side of the island is the best. There is good diving in Aguadilla on the north west side of the island, and there is desécheo island just off the west coast and caja de muerto (dead man Coffin) on the south side of the island. Lots of off shore dives all over the island but you need to hook up with locals for this info and locations. People are very helpful if you treat them right and with respect despite their intelectual and limited bilingual communication. Check dogs scuba off San Juan for scuba opportunities

La Parguera is my favorite for diving.
Also to the others that have mentioned La Parguera in this thread. Can you shore dive from this spot, or is it just boat diving? I'm looking for more shore diving options in PR, seems like they must exist, but even the dive instructors around PR either don't know about them, or don't talk about them.

As far as why PR isn't more popular or known for diving, my 2 cents... When I was there in Feb 2021 there really wasn't any "business drive", as in dive shops/ops trying to grow the business and spread the word. Maybe they are just happy with how busy (or not) they are, but I got the impression that it is just really hard for them, or low spirits, like each time they get something going a hurricane (or covid) comes along and either wipes it out, or wipes out everything else the tourists are coming for. Everyone involved in scuba there has a "I used to own a dive boat" story, which usually also includes "but couldn't make enough money to keep it". The only scuba related business that was "booming" at the time appeared to be the training of dive masters and instructors -- the ones I talked to all planned to leave the island for their careers, mostly Caribbean Mexico (good diving and they already speak Spanish). Discover Scuba and snorkeling instructors/guides seemed to be doing very well also, in San Juan area, enough business to keep 4+ operators busy most days we were there, more so on weekends of course (groups of 6 to 12 people per operator not uncommon). Most of the people in these classes I think were not from USA though, my wife is more worldly than me and thinks she saw many people from South Africa there -- possibly from cruise ships, but I don't think so.

All of the locals loved Puerto Rico and said I'd be back (2nd trip planned for this month, so they were right) -- but a lot of people would also be happy to leave, go somewhere else to live/work and only come back (often) to visit PR. To me it reminded me of the non-tourist places in Mexico I have been, where it is just a really hard life (financial/work wise) and instead of trying to make a business/career more people are just interested in going somewhere else, even though they love everything else about the place.

...and it really isn't the USA, I'd say it is Mexico. I can see how it probably never will be a state (not in the next 100 years anyway), because you think about all of the requirements the US govt has, and you see none of that in PR, so the day it became a state it would either need exceptions to every law, or have a ton of lawsuits. i.e.-nothing is ADA friendly, lots of infrastructure not "up to code", streets are not safe by US standards (widths, markings, signs, etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom