Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread has been interesting to read. We are headed to Culebra in mid -November , a place we first visited in 2007 when diver hubby was not diving. This time he will. We loved the island before for reasons many have already mentioned- friendliness of the people, laid back vibe, great food, beautiful beaches, good prices and safety, something I find lacking in Mexico these days - Culebra is called one of the "Spanish Virgins" (along with Vieques) and you can literally see St. Thomas in the distance on a clear day. A more arid island, it is a bit scrubbier than the more verdant STT or St. John and more like St. Croix perhaps in appearance. The water is the color of Windex. This trip's diving will be with Aquatic Adventures (Aquatic Adventures) Taz and Ann Hamrick with whom we went on a snorkel day trip back in 2007. There is also another dive outfit on the island that we also did a boat snorkel trip with on the first trip.
Anyone interested in Culebra or Vieques (a larger island) should know that you can easily access these islands via Flamenco Air or Vieques Air on an approximately 30 minute and very scenic flight rather than take the long cab ride from SJ and a potentially rough ferry trip over. flights run about $85 one way pp. Upon arrival you can be met at the airport with your jeep or golf cart (we used Carlos Jeep before and are using him again). The island is very easy to navigate and it is hard to really get lost. There is a helpful site at islaculebra.com to find information about accommodations ranging from high end beach houses to very affordable apartments, condos or guest houses- the only true hotel is Club Seabourne, a nice choice if you are traveling with a non-diver or family members. There are also listings on vrbo.com.
As before we will spend a night or two in old San Juan- trying El Colonial boutique hotel this time that is well situated for exploring the old town area.
Thanks for sharing any helpful information about PR and I hope this is not too long to pass along a bit of what I do know!

We are headed to Culebra in mid -November , a place we first visited in 2007 when diver hubby was not diving. This time he will. We loved the island before for reasons many have already mentioned- friendliness of the people, laid back vibe, great food, beautiful beaches, good prices and safety, something I find lacking in Mexico these days - Culebra is called one of the "Spanish Virgins" (along with Vieques) and you can literally see St. Thomas in the distance on a clear day.

Anyone interested in Culebra or Vieques (a larger island) should know that you can easily access these islands via Flamenco Air or Vieques Air on an approximately 30 minute and very scenic flight rather than take the long cab ride from SJ and a potentially rough ferry trip over. flights run about $85 one way pp.
Please post us a trip report when you get back, with photos, particularly topside accommodation photos. Underwater eye candy is important, but photos often give people an idea what it'd be like to stay in a room at a given accommodation, what 'town' (if any) looks and 'feels' like, etc...
the only true hotel is Club Seabourne, a nice choice if you are traveling with a non-diver or family members.
Good to know. Their website. Some room rates from that site today I'm copying and pasting below. These list as based on double occupancy but the prices don't specify as 'per person,' so I'm a little confused about that.

Deluxe Villa (up to 2 kids 12 and under can stay in it free, good to know):

Carey Rates (December 15 – April 30)
Deluxe Villa $279.00 per night in double occupancy

Tinglar Rates (May 1 - December 14)
Deluxe Villa $249.00 per night in double occupancy

Family Villa:

Family Villa $339.00 per night up to 4 guests

Family Villa $309.00 per night up to 4 guests

Basic Rooms:

Basic Room (Pool, Cottage, Nest) $185.00 per night in double occupancy.

Basic Room (Pool, Cottage, Nest) $169.00 per night in double occupancy

I hope this is not too long to pass along a bit of what I do know!
Oh, no, that's the sort of detail we need.

@diverswify, I hope you have a great trip and post us a review. I have some logistic questions in your decision to do it.

1.) The appeal of Puerto Rico looks to be diving plus the topside attractions of a very large island. Culebra looks to be a far smaller island about half-way between Puerto Rico and St. Thomas (and smaller than St. Thomas), presumably with less topside tourist infrastructure for excursions and entertaining non-divers.

So is the diving on Culebra that compelling to you over what's available off Puerto Rico itself?

2.) Since Culebra takes you away from the topside attractions of Puerto Rico, does it not then compete with other small/medium island options like Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, Ambergris Caye (Belize), Roatan, Curacao, etc...)?

3.) It 1.) and 2.) are accurate, does that mean Culebra as a dive destination most logically appeals to people who want to spend part of their vacation on it, but maybe a few days on the island of Puerto Rico itself, exploring, doing topside tours, etc...?

You guys intend to spend a night or two in Old San Juan.

4.) Looks like your dive operator offers 2 dives/day?

A similar article as posted above was shared by Andrew Zimmern and late Anthony Bourdain.

I personally drove 184 road and stop at 75% of the pork cantinas. Each have their own unique flavor although I’ll admit that after few beers they all taste alike …”really good”. 🤣

Going to PR end of February - first time to dive, booked with Taino on 25th already. Staying in Guanica, I guess Paradise is my next call for Bio and Parguera wall. Any other pointers? Do they have Nitrox - didn't see it as an option anywhere on their websites?

Going to PR end of February - first time to dive, booked with Taino on 25th already. Staying in Guanica, I guess Paradise is my next call for Bio and Parguera wall. Any other pointers? Do they have Nitrox - didn't see it as an option anywhere on their websites?
Please post updates to your trip as possible and convenient to you. Puerto Rico is on my radar.

So are you going to stay in Rincon when you dive with Taino?

We dove with them several years ago, did two two-tank trips out to Desecheo.

On our third dive day, we drove down to La Parguera and dove two tanks with Paradise.

If you are staying in Guanica, you might also check out Island Scuba in Playa Santa.

Staying in Guanica - fingers crossed Desecheo will be available. Can't decide between Paradise and Island Scuba for Parguera wall dives...

Staying in Guanica - fingers crossed Desecheo will be available. Can't decide between Paradise and Island Scuba for Parguera wall dive
Staying in Guanica - fingers crossed Desecheo will be available. Can't decide between Paradise and Island Scuba for Parguera wall dives...
Maybe try them both to compare? And then definitely report back here!

You will be fine with either one of those shops. I have dove with both multiple times over the past ~20 years. I will usually dive with Island Scuba because the shop is closer to the hotel we use (Copa Marina is highly recommended). I know they have nitrox, not sure about Paradise.
I last dove Desecheo 20 years ago and it was a beautiful dive. I remember a strong current. The trips fill up fast so make reservations as soon as you can.
Try to visit La Parguera and Boqueron, both awesome fishing towns with great restaurants. The bioluminescent bay is amazing and better if you go when there is new moon.
Enjoy Puerto Rico. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom