Puerto Rico Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go to Fajardo. Check out Sea Ventures Pro Dive Center | Scuba and charters in Puerto Rico, for example. There are more you can find on Google Maps. That said, I don't have first hand experience with any of them.
I went out with these guys a few years ago. It was a great experience. It was more of a "party" experience like I've experienced off Florida Keys or somewhat in Cozumel, not at all like other dive ops in the south or west of PR. It wasn't a bad thing, just different and depends on what you want. The DMs were great, and the husband and wife (pretty sure) captain team were friendly and helpful. The boat is really nice and comfortable, and big/smooth enough that only one girl had to puke in a bucket, but she did say she had a lot to drink the night before and she was just snorkeling.

The only kind of creepy (but maybe just me?) thing was the one guest DM inviting all the pretty young girls to his private island when we got back to port. Meh, they didn't seem to mind, so I guess it is fine.

I really need this weather to get better. It’s been so depressing here in Mayaguez.

Hola Sparragus, I dove one day in PR 20 years ago just before getting on a cruise ship. Going back at the end of May for a family thing but going to try to get 2 or 3 dive days in. I'll be staying a little northwest of Dorado if you know of any good operators near there. Thanks for your advice.
Steve

Hola Sparragus, I dove one day in PR 20 years ago just before getting on a cruise ship. Going back at the end of May for a family thing but going to try to get 2 or 3 dive days in. I'll be staying a little northwest of Dorado if you know of any good operators near there. Thanks for your advice.
Steve

Around Dorado, I only know Neptune Divers. They are near Mar Chiquita.

Weather permitting, they do two shore dives. One in Los Tubos, and one in Mar Chiquita.

If you’re willing to go further (think two hours away) then I suggest a dive operator in Aguadilla that would dive Crash Boat beach. I personally know Black Anchor Diving. There’s also another dive operator I want to check out someday called Aquatica.

Black Anchor is shore dives, and Aquatica is boat dive (I think)

Hope that helps.

Hi!! I've been looking for some specific PR dive info before I head there at the end of the week for a few days. I've been working on a personal underwater video and photography project. I'm looking for small creatures (slugs, nudis, worms, etc), but not limited to... there are some crabs, anemone, on my list. Anything colorful, and with fun patterns.
I saw somewhere that said that there are nudibranch colonies in "Las Cuevas", which hasn't been clear, but seems like it's in the Desecheo area, but never really explicit on any of the sites I found. It also seems like it's a slim chance to get out there. I'm traveling with my friend who would like to stay around Rincon, but we don't feel like we have to stay put. We just want the best experiences. We are visiting from Sunday - Saturday, so that will give us 4 days to dive. Do you have any recs for me to find small creatures? Also, is there a dive shop you like most? I'm seeing mixed reviews on Taino, but they also seem to be the most mentioned. Any help would be really appreciated!

I'm seeing mixed reviews on Taino
Taino will book you for Desecheo, but I'm not sure whether it actually happens. I had half a dozen cancellations because of "bad weather"

To my knowledge you can find nudis around Rincon, La Parguera and Culebra. Not in quantities you would expect though.

SW side of PR has some awesome diving, I am well familiar with Paradise, Island Scuba (both are some 60 minutes ride from Rincon), Taino joints.

Taino will book you for Desecheo, but I'm not sure whether it actually happens. I had half a dozen cancellations because of "bad weather"

To my knowledge you can find nudis around Rincon, La Parguera and Culebra. Not in quantities you would expect though.

SW side of PR has some awesome diving, I am well familiar with Paradise, Island Scuba (both are some 60 minutes ride from Rincon), Taino joints.
Yes, it seems for a chance, there's maybe a spot in Aguadilla. If the diving around Rincon is good, then maybe it's best for us to leave any thoughts of Desecheo behind. Have you seen any nudis on any dives at the other spots? Any advice for specific dive spots on each of those reefs? How are the shore dives?

I’m diving with Paradise Scuba this Sunday. They will be diving the wall at La Parguera. It’s a two tank boat dive.

I’m planning to join Aquatica on their trip to Desecheo on April 28th.

Aquatica is also going to Desecheo on April 21st.

For shore dive, I really really like Crash Boat in Aguadilla.

Any one wants to join me this Sunday or in the 28th?

Hi!! I've been looking for some specific PR dive info before I head there at the end of the week for a few days. I've been working on a personal underwater video and photography project. I'm looking for small creatures (slugs, nudis, worms, etc), but not limited to... there are some crabs, anemone, on my list. Anything colorful, and with fun patterns.
I saw somewhere that said that there are nudibranch colonies in "Las Cuevas", which hasn't been clear, but seems like it's in the Desecheo area, but never really explicit on any of the sites I found. It also seems like it's a slim chance to get out there. I'm traveling with my friend who would like to stay around Rincon, but we don't feel like we have to stay put. We just want the best experiences. We are visiting from Sunday - Saturday, so that will give us 4 days to dive. Do you have any recs for me to find small creatures? Also, is there a dive shop you like most? I'm seeing mixed reviews on Taino, but they also seem to be the most mentioned. Any help would be really appreciated!
Paradise is good for getting out to really nice areas w/coral (they do reef dives as well as wall dives)
We also just went on a trip w/Scuba Dogs out of Guanica (at the Copamarina resort, but you don't have to be staying there to dive with them.) I appreciated that they have a little more flexibility with requests like yours - maybe give them a shout and see if they know of a good place for your photography. The area they dive in also is part of the wall and we enjoyed our dives with them very much.

Will reply with a quick response.

We have been to PR three times, with our fourth coming up at the end of May.

Our first trip was staying in Rincon, diving two days on Desecheo and then a third day driving down to La Parguera for two tanks.

Our second trip was staying in Playa Santa, diving two days on the La Parguera Wall. What stands out from this trip was the prolific Black Coral along the Wall.

Our third trip was staying on Culebra, diving with Culebra Divers. My most memorable dives were the first one where we saw a free swimming manatee and our next to last (of six dives total) in a shallow area that is a nursery. It was amazing to see all the juvenile fish swimming about. One that I remember particularly was a spotted drum that couldn’t have been any larger than my thumbnail.

We are going back for our fourth trip at the end of May, and will be diving Culebra Island, but this time from the main island, as well as a shore dive at Escambron.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom