Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any likely contacts? Not likely that I’ll be traveling to that area soon and I’m pretty happy with curaçao but it never hurts to have options.
you can start with a research of all Dive Shops in Puerto Rico Top 10 Best Dive Shops in Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico - Last Updated September 2021 - Yelp
and either check their website or call them directly to see if they offer what you are looking for. Most if not all will speak English and you don't have to pay for a international call.

I am glad to see this thread.

I grew up in PR and started diving there in 1971. I also started working at Divers Service Center in 1971. This was the only actual dive shop in the San Juan Metropolitan area back then (there were a couple of hotels that had compressors and had some Scuba gear).

I am always happy to see that Alberto is still in business with DSC, but now he caters mostly to local divers. The building looks almost the same as 50 years ago and he still has the same phone number. Look at the link below.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x8c0368e34a2816e5:0x2958cb049e30f1c3!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNbbcEcQqSZed2aoJzgqXASU9RDr-FTGKYh0481=w120-h160-k-no!5sdivers service center puerto rico - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e2!2sgkhj0iGMun0hkWJonxPS9A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwitiffqquTyAhWmFFkFHfwGDZsQoiowCnoECEEQAw

Back then the diving was fantastic in a lot of places, but a lot has changed. Some of my favorite dive spots out of Fajardo (East Coast) are not that good anymore (boat diving access only).

As others have mentioned, the dive spots on the south west (Parguera) and west of the main island are some of the best. Culebra and Vieques are also good.

For such a big island most of the good diving require boat access.

Shore diving in Crash Boat Beach (Aguadilla) has always been good. And there are other spots just north of Crash Boat Beach... I can't remember the names right now.

El Escambron Beach is also good, but parking can be an issue. The last time I was there we actually paid a guide to drive us close to the put in (they have a special permit). When I was a kid we used to just park behind the Caribe Hilton, walk into the back of the property, and jump in with our scuba gear from their observation pier. It was a real "giant" stride. :D

I have been diving with Taino Divers from Rincon, boat ride to Desecheo. It was fantastic diving. That was recently... about 10 years ago. :wink:

It has been awhile since I have been back and I am glad to see this thread... We need to go back soon.

One thing to keep in mind, the island is big enough that it doesn't have the same feel as the smaller Caribbean islands (Bonaire, Cozumel, Roatan, etc.). I think that is part of the reason it is not always considered a dive destination.

I have never seen a true full service dive resort that will provide a full package including transportation, lodging, and diving. There are some high end resort that offer diving, but diving is secondary. You just have to be a bit adventurous and arrange it all yourself.

While I am talking about adventurous, driving in PR in the San Juan area may not for everyone, or at least that is how it used to be.

I am always happy to see that Alberto is still in business with DSC, but now he caters mostly to local divers. The building looks almost the same as 50 years ago and he still has the same phone number.
Mr. Alberto Umpierre is the father of commercial diving in Puerto Rico. Excellent person and always a pleasure to talk with. The second person that I always consider as my diving mentor is Mr. José Rafols from Aquatica Dive and Surf in Aguadilla.

Mr. Alberto Umpierre is the father of commercial diving in Puerto Rico. Excellent person and always a pleasure to talk with. The second person that I always consider as my diving mentor is Mr. José Rafols from Aquatica Dive and Surf in Aguadilla.

I am going to guess that you didn't know Alberto back in the 70's... "El Loco Alberto"... :D

It was a blast working at DSC back in the 70's, but I am always surprised that he is still alive... Did you ever hear about the spear shooting inside the shop. The holes in the ceiling and walls have been patched. I witness some crazy stuff as kid and I am always shocked no one ever got hurt.

It was a good time. :cool: I saw Alberto about 10 years ago... It was good to see him.

Did you ever meet Harry Hauck. He was another legend in the old diving community in PR. He made his fame as the father of water-polo in PR, but he also trained and certified many, many divers for a number of decades.

I just read that he died earlier this year:
https://www.waszak.com/pattonpool/articles/013.htm

Company Profile

Passages: Harry Hauck, Who Brought Water Polo to Puerto Rico, Dies at 91 - NewsBreak

I need to get back to PR...

I had to add this.
Here are a few other legends of diving in Puerto Rico.
The writing is in Spanish. I have OCR the document if anyone wants to have it translated.

I think Jaime Braulio Jr. still owns the dive shop in Mayaguez, but it is not in the back of the hardware store like it used to be. That was another great dive shop. They were also a Scubapro dealer.

Skin Diving School of PR-2_1.jpg

Skin Diving School of PR-2_2.jpg

I am glad someone moved this to the correct location.

Thanks

I’m from there and got ow, advanced, rescue on 1994. There is a large and vibrant diving community of locals.
Mona island, desecheo is world class. There are also plenty of shore dives.

I am going to guess that you didn't know Alberto back in the 70's... "El Loco Alberto"... :D

It was a blast working at DSC back in the 70's, but I am always surprised that he is still alive... Did you ever hear about the spear shooting inside the shop. The holes in the ceiling and walls have been patched. I witness some crazy stuff as kid and I am always shocked no one ever got hurt.

It was a good time. :cool: I saw Alberto about 10 years ago... It was good to see him.

Did you ever meet Harry Hauck. He was another legend in the old diving community in PR. He made his fame as the father of water-polo in PR, but he also trained and certified many, many divers for a number of decades.

I just read that he died earlier this year:
https://www.waszak.com/pattonpool/articles/013.htm

Company Profile

Passages: Harry Hauck, Who Brought Water Polo to Puerto Rico, Dies at 91 - NewsBreak

I need to get back to PR...

I had to add this.
Here are a few other legends of diving in Puerto Rico.
The writing is in Spanish. I have OCR the document if anyone wants to have it translated.

I think Jaime Braulio Jr. still owns the dive shop in Mayaguez, but it is not in the back of the hardware store like it used to be. That was another great dive shop. They were also a Scubapro dealer.

View attachment 680175

View attachment 680176
I went to mona island with Jaime Braulio Jr (papo) in the 90s. The best diving of my life.

I've never dove PR, but will be spending family time on Vieques and would like to pick up a dive or two. Any comments or recommendations would be great. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom