Puerto Penasco or San Carlos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MVillanueva

Reaction score
Hello

There is one post about puerto penasco from 2003 on this board (that I could find). Does anyone have experiences they could share about this location?

I am trying to decide between Puerto Penasco and San Carlos for our first international excursion. Puerto Penasco's main advantage is that it is closer to us by about 4 hours.

Any diving experiences about PP (or SC) are very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Check out some of the past Dive Training Magazines. They have had two or three articles on San Carlos and one on Puerto Penasco. I've been to Puerto Penasco once, may never go again. San Carlos has a number of operators. If you check some of the dive shops in Tucson or Phoenix they might give you some other opinions as they go down there regularly. Four hours might matter for a short weekend, shouldn't matter for a week.

adios don O

Puerto Penasco - aka Rocky Point - leaves alot to be desired. I haven't been there in many years, but the only thing to see were the the stingrays in the sand.

San Carlos is much better. Fish are much more plentiful and varied. Several sites have interesting rock formations if that is your thing.

There are at least three shops running boats down there. Gary's is the most common, but he runs a cattle boat - not my idea of a good time. Ocean Sports and Surface Time both have nice operations. I prefer Surface Time because they use smaller boats, 4-8 divers instead of 20-25 divers. It's like having a private charter, but not paying the price for it. Check out www.surfacetime.com

Been to Puerto Penasco twice with the last trip last november. On a acale of one to ten with ten being the best, it is a five. There is an outfit that takes you out to bird island--the sea lions play with you unless they are mating. The area is overfished so most fish you see are small. You can do shore diving also. the dive shop there was helpful in arranging dives. http://www.sun-n-fun-divers.com/index.htm It is only about an hour's drive from the border.

The shops in Tucson go to San Carlos even though both places are about the same distance from tucson--that might tell you something. I have heard that the following shop does nice trips down there: http://www.azdiveshop.com/staff.htm

Enjoy

Greg

San Carlos...hands down.
Some of the Az shops run trips to San Carlos during the summer. One shop charters a bus...no driving for you. One other shop I checked into at lets you arrange your own transportation. I went on the one that provided the bus as its a 8-10 hr drive.
pm if you want further information.

Kaz

Hey, great information! Thanks alot! Looks like San Carlos in October. Any recommendations on a place to stay? I will be taking my 12 year old with me -- she is certified. Would like a place that understands the need to rinse and dry gear!

Clearly, dive shops go to SC -- I can see that now from the links you all posted.

Cool.

Back
Top Bottom