Puerto Galera, Philippines - dive suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhatD1ver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those who have been to PG, we are taking a relatively inexperienced group to PG for the Christmas holiday. Going to be using DMs and instructors, but still would like recommendations on dive sites that we should look at for our trip.

Verde Island. You have to plan your dives carefully though to avoid the ripping currents. Fishbowl at the canyons. That is also an advanced dive but with proper planning you can dive it with almost no current. The wrecks just off Sabang beach are also good.

Sent from my Underwood typewriter

Manila Channel, Hole in the wall, Killaman Steps, Giant clams is a fun muck dive. I would do Verde Island at the end of your trip to give everybody some experience at the easier sites. All the sites I mentioned are easy to access from Sabang beach.

I agree about doing giant clam as a muck dive - its a good dive in its own right and is a good introduction to mucking as well.

The DM's will gear the dives to the experience level of your group. There are many dives there that newbies should not consider and Verde Island is awesome.

Reactions: Doc
Even the ledge overlooking Fish Bowl is at 40m!! Highly unlikely that any responsible dive operator will take inexperienced diver there.
Most of the sites are suitable for inexperienced divers as long as the currents(ebb or flood) allowed.
Verde Island is very good and because it is a "pinnacle" dive, there are places to hide from the current. Please pay attention to the pre-dive briefing.
Sabang wreck for the night dive is a must.
The soft corals in Sabang Point is also not to be missed.
Hole in the Wall for big fish(Giant Travelly) but the current can be very strong. No current no big fish!!!
Canyons(27m), I would leave the dm to decide if your group is up to it otherwise it is a must. Same probelm, no current no action. This is one of the few places where some dm will insist 70 bar is the time to ascend!! Down current is the main reason.

I am pretty sure the local knowledgeable dm will look after you.

The DMs are going to take you to where they are going to take you.

The trick is that your DM will have the experience to know (make the best guess) as to currents at the instant.

As described above, even Sabang Harbor's wrecks are twitchy, the Isla Verde excursion offers options of the wildest currents and terrain most divers could ever "need". :wink:

They will take you to one dive to the ESE of Sabang where the point is thickly covered in little yellow critters:

Many visitors refer to the area generally as Puerto Galera, but I am hoping that you are staying and diving out of Sabang Beach, which is some 10 miles East. PG itself is charitably described as a rat hole, Sabang is where you want to be.

NOT easy to take macro in current, but.... Some photo galleries:

Philippines 2 Puerto Galera Sabang Beach Photos by Doc_Adelman | Photobucket

Philippines Puerto Galera Sabang Beach Photos by Doc_Adelman | Photobucket

lots of stuff like this:

These yellow critters are a species of sea cucumber

Some nice easy dives around Sabang, the Sabang wrecks are good, Alma Jane is an excellent wreck dive too just off the beach, but there can be a current running so timing is everything.

Any dives round the right hand side are usual drift dives, go with the flow, same in Manila Channel.

Giant Clams is one of my favourite sites, where I saw my first wonderpus

Ahh, and the Mimic Octopus, Pygmy Seahorse, Leaf Fish, and a Mandarin Fish.

Go get 'em!

I was there for a week two years ago. Current can be pretty strong at times but I'm sure the DMs will factor that in in choosing dive sites. Other than that, I can't think of a dive site I didn't like with the possible exception of the wrecks in the bay (but I did see a few things on them I was happy to film). Giant Clams was pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom