Puerto Galera or Anilao for 5 days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And any DM worthy of that name will know the tide tables and when to dive AND NOT DIVE certain sites! I found the diving excellent (best I've had personally). i don,t think you,ll be disapointed in PG...

I'd go with the same general opinion as most people here I guess :) PG is better for non-diving related activities (i.e. night life, dining out etc.) but the diving in Anilao is much better for me.

Anilao scores much higher for Macro, although PG would be better for bigger stuff, although there isn't much genuine big stuff there either! PG would win on variety, although Anilao also has a good range of diving if you can handle some current.

I'd say any dive in PG would be okay if you go on the right tide, the moon is one factor but by far the biggest factor to consider is the tide table times. Try to dive the current sites, like the Canyons or Shark Cave, on a slack tide or a weak flood, it's not a difficult dive if the current isn't flowing, just make sure you avoid the Ebb tides as that's when the current picks up! You can get tide tables at most decent resorts or online at EasyTide - on-line tidal predictions from the UKHO

El Galleon and Aquaventure are good choices. I have been to both places in the past month. Excellent. Hard to say which is better.
- PG has better nightlife and european food. El Galleon has a Corsican/French chef that is pretty good. Diving is ok but in my view not great. Verde Island was the best location and Canyons was boring when i was there.

- Aquaventure is a good choice. Ask the dive guide to take you to "secret bay" though not much of a secret. On top of a volcano and you will want a camera with a strobe with ghost pipefish, seahorses, flouder, mimic otocpus, lots of different nudibranchs. So, lots of interesting critters.

Having said this they are both good place in April. Happy diving.

and Canyons was boring when i was there.

:confused::confused::shocked2: Boring???? Ghasp... Choke... Caugh... Caugh...

What exactly did you find boring about Canyons?

you have to do both. spend 2 days in anilao and hire a boat to take you to PG. :D

:confused::confused::shocked2: Boring???? Ghasp... Choke... Caugh... Caugh...

What exactly did you find boring about Canyons?

The boat ride there can be a little longer than most in PG so could be a little boring? :idk:

Have to agree, the Canyons is the crown jewel of PG, even when there no current it's a great dive.......

you have to do both. spend 2 days in anilao and hire a boat to take you to PG. :D

Great Idea!!!! You can normally get a boat to do a day trip to PG/Verde for about 5-6k for the day (shared between the whole boat) if you go from Anilao.

Not sure about going the other way but I suspect the rate to dive Anilao from PG will be higher as prices tend to be lower in Anilao.... Although the resorts/non-diving is much better in PG, even if you don't like the nightlife (I'm boring :(!?!) it's a good place to stay if you keep away from Sabang - i.e. Big La Laguna

The best dive sites in PG are ABSOLUTELY NOT suitable for beginner.
Canyons(28-30m), Horse's Head(36m), Fish Bowl(40-48m), Sweet Lips(52m), Deep Almar Jane Reef, Monkey Wreck(42-45m) etc etc.
Even the experience divers will find them challenging and if the current is strong......
And even The Hole in the Wall(16-18m) is pretty tricky with the wrong current.

I did do the Canyons which was a thrill, especially when a blue ring octopus showed up on the bottom of the final canyon. I agree, it is deffinately not for the beginner.

There appeared to be plenty of dives suitable for beginners in the region but I found dives of similar difficulty in Anilao to be more interesting.

Hi Chaines,
I think I can help.
Im one of the owners of Island & Cruise Adventure, Inc. and we specialize in the Philippines. Also, I have personally done Puerto Galera and Anilao tons and tons and tons of times... Anilao is a great place for macro photography, but thats about it...if you are not a photographer, you wont really enjoy too much of it. Puerto Galera however, would be the way to go. As for the dives being very advanced? no..not at all... You have full control of how advanced you would like it to be. Just make sure when you do Puerto Galera, try to spend the majority of your dive days to go dive the Verde Islands (only 30-45 min banka ride and El Galleon can can arrange this, just ask the guys at the resort and they'll gladly take you there)
I hope I helped you out. If you have any other questions about the Philippines, let me know and Ill be glad to help you out =)
Ken Jones

Last edited:
El Galleon was great for checking tides BEFORE every dive. It is a school based operation that teaches lots of DM and OWI. Diving is varied. Verde Island is a must do. One of the more busy bars is at El Galleon. There is a village/town a short walk away. Beach vendors get on your nerves. El Galleon is very strict with all divers down at one time and all up at one time. 60 minute max bottom time.

Anilao is also varied and wonderful Dives vary from true muck to reef. There is nothing to do at night except enjoy a beer at the resort and enjoy the sound of water or better yet, do a night dive (I saw about 20 different octupus on one dive by the pier one night). Dive times vary with operator, but most will limit dive to air/nitrogen. I was just there 30 days ago at Acacia resort. Very nice rooms, restaurant and an operation that does not cater to photographers. Anilao's dive range is quite far, so the dives can be varied. it is known as the Lembeh of the Philippines, but there is much more than just muck dives.

Personally I prefer Anilao, but that is because I want the best dive photo ops and Anilao is better. I also prefer longer bottom times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom