Puck vs. Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I'll bite! :D Oceanic Veo 2 wrist mount
Around $450 with the USB cable would be the point where I'd start looking at OSTC sport. Especially if the exchange rate sucked less. Why?
  • Buhlmann + gradient factors
  • high contrast colour display
  • multi-gas, gauge mode, no AI: check (the latter is a downside IMO)
  • compass: rarely need one but it's nice to not have to buy and carry an extra device.

Veo 2 is $370
Hollis DG03 has 3 gasses with use up to 100% nitrox, is $120 cheaper

Geo 2.0 is $30 more, watch form factor, nitrox up to 100%

try again

Those were the other 2 that I was considering. :wink:

Then there is the closeout A300, same function as the VEO 3.0 and the DG03 for $199. I believe they all three came from the same Pelagic Pressure Systems production line (formally Oceanic but sold this summer to Aqualung) and are comparable units. The plus with the DG03 is the ability to upgrade to AI, if you so desire.

so why did you decide on the veo 2? More functionality and save $120, spend an extra $20 and get more functionality and a better form factor....

Pucks have bigger displays and thought dual algorithm would be more useful than functions I wouldn't use anyway right now. AKA 3 gasses, 100% nitrox, AI, etc. If I want more functionality later, I'll just buy a Shearwater and use the veo as a backup.

Mercedes vs. Honda is the wrong analysis because the car industry is too flat

Basically you have three options in dive computers

Petrel 2 for $750
If you don't have a Petrel 2 it is for one of the following reasons
You need/want AI or a watch form factor. If that is the case, buy SeaBear H3 for an extra $250

You can't afford Petrel, buy whatever you can that is cheapest. Hollis DG03 is a third of the cost, but you sacrifice a lot of features to save the money.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...564-need-help-choosing-new-computer-read.html
Read that thread. N2ition is long since sold out, so back to DG03 or used Nitek Duo/its family

Though I disagree with you about there only being three options, this is basically exactly what I was looking. So at around $250, you would make the step up to the petrel it seems like.

Though I disagree with you about there only being three options, this is basically exactly what I was looking. So at around $250, you would make the step up to the petrel it seems like.
You may be able to find the last of Aeris A300 closeouts out there for $200 and save fifty bucks if you have no plans to add AI. As the other poster said, it's pretty much the same Pelagic computer otherwise (and I think n2ition was, too). Personally I tend to believe in "rather have and not use" so I'd go for $250 DG03 instead, but keep in mind AI adds extra complexity in the interface etc. -- even if you don't use it, you still get longer menus and more button presses.
DiveNav has a nice enough sim on their website, but they don't seem to have DG03 in their "research" section.

what other computers do you think make sense then if you disagree? The third option is buy cheap, it can be the DG03, the A300, a used Nitek Duo etc. The problem is the computers under $400, Suunto Zoop etc etc sacrifice way too many features to warrant consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom