Puck vs. Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minimum features

2 gas
gauge mode
user replaceable battery
2 buttons

after that, they're all close enough. DG03 new, or Nitek Duo/Cressi Archimede II etc etc used on ebay.

I know that a puck computer is a "full dive computer", but it is my understanding that they are generally less expensive and don't usually have all the bells and whistles of other dive computers (such as an Eon Steel, Liquivision Lynx or Mares Icon, etc.). They way I viewed it - and maybe I am incorrect - is that a puck was generally a cheaper alternative because of it's design and functionality.
It's cheaper mostly because it's the same old mass-produced Seiko computer in slightly different housings with slightly different firmware. If the other guys could match it on volume sales, their prices would come down quite a bit. Hardware's still a bit more expensive, but not really by that much: e.g. OSTC sport is about $600 US whereas Suunto Vyper (comparable puck) is $450 not counting PC uplink. And compass -- that is, those typically come included with the "expensive" ones but for "pucks" must be purchased separately.
I was wondering at what price would people stop looking at a puck and move to a "large screen dive computer".
Price isn't the issue, your bank account balance is.

"Price isn't the issue, your bank account balance is."

I think this is what I was looking for. But, assuming that I can afford any computer I want, I would still want to save money.

Just because I can afford a Mercedes, doesn't mean I will buy one...I might take a Honda instead. But at what price does a Honda become no longer worth it and will you think "hey, for only X amount more I could just get the Mercedes".

I know this depends on your bank account, but that's basically what I was wondering, is based on YOUR opinion when does it make sense to make the leap up a couple hundred dollar to get - for example - an AI, color OLED screen, non-puck computer.

For the most part, after re-looking at some online stores, the majority of pucks are still significantly lower than other "dive computers".

"Price isn't the issue, your bank account balance is."

I think this is what I was looking for. But, assuming that I can afford any computer I want, I would still want to save money.

Just because I can afford a Mercedes, doesn't mean I will buy one...I might take a Honda instead. But at what price does a Honda become no longer worth it and will you think "hey, for only X amount more I could just get the Mercedes".

I know this depends on your bank account, but that's basically what I was wondering, is based on YOUR opinion when does it make sense to make the leap up a couple hundred dollar to get - for example - an AI, color OLED screen, non-puck computer.

For the most part, after re-looking at some online stores, the majority of pucks are still significantly lower than other "dive computers".

That price point is a personal matter for you. There is not right or wrong answer.

You have Tbone and I's opinion on price vs features.

Mercedes vs. Honda is the wrong analysis because the car industry is too flat

Basically you have three options in dive computers

Petrel 2 for $750
If you don't have a Petrel 2 it is for one of the following reasons
You need/want AI or a watch form factor. If that is the case, buy SeaBear H3 for an extra $250

You can't afford Petrel, buy whatever you can that is cheapest. Hollis DG03 is a third of the cost, but you sacrifice a lot of features to save the money.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...564-need-help-choosing-new-computer-read.html
Read that thread. N2ition is long since sold out, so back to DG03 or used Nitek Duo/its family

Basically you have three options in dive computers

Seriously.. With the hundreds of capable dive computers available on the market there are only three options..What a joke.

and I will ask what I have asked before in that thread. I will add up a fourth option for the Geo 2.0 if you need a watch form factor but don't want to spend up for the SeaBear, so 4.

Offer up a computer and why you would buy it, and I guarantee you I can disprove it.

Seeker242 - Could you tell me the type of puck that costs around $1000?

Something like a Suunto HelO2 or something like that. But, by the time you would need a computer like that, you would already know everything there is to know about dive computers anyway. You aren't going to be decompression diving or something like that before you understand most everything about dive computers. I know I won't be! I just got an Oceanic Veo 2 wrist puck for $350 I think. Does everything I need it to do right now. Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean crappy. :D

"I know this depends on your bank account, but that's basically what I was wondering, is based on YOUR opinion when does it make sense to make the leap up a couple hundred dollar to get - for example - an AI, color OLED screen, non-puck computer. For the most part, after re-looking at some online stores, the majority of pucks are still significantly lower than other "dive computers".
Yes, and motorola RAZR is significantly cheaper than iPhone 6s. They both make phone calls equally well. So what's your question: does it make sense to buy ipon 6s? -- No: ipax 7 will be out in 12 weeks, might as well wait and buy that instead. Yes: I want the shiny! right now!

Offer up a computer and why you would buy it, and I guarantee you I can disprove it.

Ok, I'll bite! :D Oceanic Veo 2 wrist mount

Why?

Dual algorithm, which means very customizable conservatism.
Puck because puck has bigger display than watch. Like bigger numbers!
Only need 2 gasses anyway.
Doesn't have unnecessary AI.
Can be used for freediving also, a necessity. A deal breaker if it doesn't have freedive mode.
If I need a more advanced computer in the future, I'll just buy a more advanced one whenever I need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom