Puck vs. Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzzon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a wrist unit and looking back and forth between a puck and a wrist-mounted dive computer...just was curious on some people's thoughts.

What's the most expensive puck computer out there and what does it NOT offer, that a more expensive dive computer CAN?

Is price the main reason people go with a puck instead of a dive computer, or does it have other desired features (such as size)?

From what I can see, some of the pucks seem to do pretty much everything a computer does, so I was just wondering why people would go with a more expensive computer, that basically does the same thing. What price point would you stop looking at pucks and move to dive computers? In other words at what price would you think that a puck is no longer worth it and it is worth paying a little more for a full computer?

Also, are there any full color pucks and if there is it worth it?

Thanks for any help!

Might need some clarity here. My understanding is a 'puck' would be a dive computer that is round and about 75mm/3inches across. There are many models including the Mares Puck. The different models have different costs and different features, just like other dive computers.

Do you have a different understanding of Puck?

What price point would you stop looking at pucks and move to dive computers? In other words at what price would you think that a puck is no longer worth it and it is worth paying a little more for a full computer?

A puck computer is a "full dive computer". "Puck" just designates the type of housing/shape it comes in, not the functions. Never seen a color screen puck, I don't think those exist. They have b/w LCD screens because they draw less power from a battery than a color LCD. Since pucks are smaller, they have smaller watch style batteries. A big color screen on a watch style battery would drain it too fast. Bigger computers can use bigger batteries, that are sometimes rechargeable, so they can support a big color screen.

With wrist mounting, there are 3 kinds. The big screens, the pucks, and watch style. Pucks are the least expensive, but can still be found close to 1k in price depending on the functions. Watch style can be worn as a watch during the day as they are smaller than pucks.

Dive Computer Training

Is a good place to research for computers. :)

I assume you're meaning console computers

The Petrel 2 is the gold standard
$750
mixed gas
unlocked for trimix and CCR out of the box
digital compass
bluetooth upload to your phone
super easy to use
user settable conservatism
best customer service in the industry

Suunto Cobra3 is the most expensive console computer I found
$900
3d compass
2 gas
Wired AI
required an additional cable for USB upload that isn't included
permanently attached to your regulator set unless you pay for the QD

it really is a no brainer....
If you want a wrist computer that is watch size and has AI you can get the Seabear H3 for around $1k.

As previously stated a ‘puck’ computer is normally a full-fledged dive computer that is in a standard sized ‘puck’ style housing. A ‘puck’ can normally be mounted in either in a traditional console with a SPG and /or a compass or with a wrist strap or bungee mount. The ‘puck’ screen size is normally limited to about 1.75” due to physical size limitation.
Currently, IMHO, of all the various computers out there, for basic recreational to occasional Deco use, the best bang for the buck option is the Aeris A300. It’s an orphan since Oceanic merged the Aeris line into the Oceanic line (but still supported by Oceanic) that originally sold for about $450 and now is being closed out at several vendors for $199. They are new with, warranty, three button, Three gas (Tech mode) dual algorithm (DSAT or Pz+) computer’s which are comparable to the Oceanic VEO 3.0.

Most people that have pucks mount them in a console with their SPG. You can also put them on your wrist but they are bulky. Any style of computer will work it's just a matter of what you prefer.

Thank you all for your responses.

Tbar - you are correct I should have clarified a little bit better. I know that a puck computer is a "full dive computer", but it is my understanding that they are generally less expensive and don't usually have all the bells and whistles of other dive computers (such as an Eon Steel, Liquivision Lynx or Mares Icon, etc.). They way I viewed it - and maybe I am incorrect - is that a puck was generally a cheaper alternative because of it's design and functionality.

For the most case pucks seem cheaper when looking online, that is why I was wondering at what price would people stop looking at a puck and move to a "large screen dive computer".

Seeker242 - Could you tell me the type of puck that costs around $1000?

The air integrated "pucks" are all around $800-$900 give or take. Sherwood, Suunto, etc etc.

The point you stop looking at pucks is when you realize that with the CAD so low right now, a Petrel 2 is $750
gets you a really nice screen
bluetooth upload
use of a AA battery
digital compass
full technical capability with a recreational nitrox mode with control of your gradient factors
great resale value
tremendous customer support

I firmly believe in the following criteria for purchase
Buy the cheapest that can get you buy until you can buy the best. The best right now is $750, and a Hollis DG03 from Dive Gear Express is $250. If you can't afford the $750 for the Petrel, then the $250 for the DG03 is the only other computer I would bother with.

Thank you all for your responses.

Tbar - you are correct I should have clarified a little bit better. I know that a puck computer is a "full dive computer", but it is my understanding that they are generally less expensive and don't usually have all the bells and whistles of other dive computers (such as an Eon Steel, Liquivision Lynx or Mares Icon, etc.). They way I viewed it - and maybe I am incorrect - is that a puck was generally a cheaper alternative because of it's design and functionality.

For the most case pucks seem cheaper when looking online, that is why I was wondering at what price would people stop looking at a puck and move to a "large screen dive computer".

Seeker242 - Could you tell me the type of puck that costs around $1000?

In my opinion, there are three routes to go with a dive computer

1. Console-I don't like it, but some people like having the air integration and large number display
2. Recreational wrist computer--some older ones only have 1 gas, but most on the market these days have two gas, gauge mode, etc...this would include pucks (like the Veo 2, VT3, Mares Puck) or watch computers (Geo 2)
3. Trimix/large computer

I always recommend two options. Either go in the 200-300 range and get a simple wrist computer with 2 or 3 gases (100% O2) and a gauge mode. This will give you a computer that will take you all the way into tech and can service as a nice back up. The other option is to just get a Petrel for $700-$750. Will stay with you for the rest of your life and is the best computer I have ever used.

Generally what can cause computers to go above that $750 price range is either marketing or the wireless air integration. Even the most expensive puck by itself (one with compass, multiple gas, etc) is in the 400-500 range MSRP and you can get them for cheaper if you negotiate. What drives up the total price is that a wireless transmitter is included and that by itself is $300 item.

When looking for a dive computer, you should be looking at the type of diving you will be doing now and in the near future. Is tech 1 or 2 years away? What is you overall budget? do you really want air integration? do you really want a compass? How small/big do you want the unit to be--an Atom is like a $900 computer but is air integrated and the size of wrist watch.

Of the ones listed, I have dove the Steel and Icon. Didn't really care for them and was not impressed with the Icon at all considering its price. I went the first route with my first computer being a geo 2 and my second a petrel. The third computer will be a petrel.

I generally have good things to say about my Geo 2 and I still like it, but the holes in the strap have begun to show some wear in them since I was tightening up the computer too much while in my drysuit. The air expansion on ascent was putting a lot of stress on the strap. This is a user error problem, but got me wishing I had a bungee mount (like most of the puck computers have); I still don't know what I would choose if given the choice between the Geo 2 or the Veo 3-probably the Veo 3 with bungee mount, but tough call.

Good starter computers in my opinion--Geo 2, Suunto Vyper (although it has a more conservative algorithm), Veo 3, VT3? (whichever one is like $300 on sale and doesn't have the compass). There are others that could be added to this list, but these are the ones I generally throw out there.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 01:22 PM ----------

You can get a Geo 2 for $250 and Veo 3 for around $280, you just need to know how to "ask".

Tbone and are in agreement on this issue...of course we do tend to agree on a lot of things.

You can also put them on your wrist but they are bulky.
I guess it depends what you're comparing it to. They are definitely higher profile than the true wrist watch style computers but don't take up a lot of room. We have a Suunto Zoop and an Uwatec Tec2G on DSS bungee mounts and before/during/after the dive, they don't get in the way of anything at all.
By far the bulkiest feeling gear on my arm is the wrist slate.

I firmly believe in the following criteria for purchase. Buy the cheapest that can get you by until you can buy the best.
Agreed. Check eBay, Craiglist, SB classifieds - most dive computers in great condition can be had for a fair bit lower than brand new ones. You might not get the latest and shiniest model but if you know what features you want, really great deals can be had. I got my Tec2G for $90.

Speaking of which, do you know what features you're looking for? You mentioned "bells and whistles" and "desired features" but not what applies to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom