Pt. Lobos Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I wonder if there is any statutory basis for this, or if it's purely a matter of the ranger's whim.

Guy

I wonder this, too. Do you have to check in with your "buddy" or can you have a same day, same ocean dive with another team?

This seems like one of those rules I tend to disregard just because I feel there is no logic or legal basis to it.

The logic of it is that as a guest of the park they will try their best to mount a rescue if you get in trouble. If you are solo the lifeguards and rangers have no idea where to begin their search. Provided yes you can have a mishap where both divers perish or are in need of rescuing but more often one rather than both divers in trouble at the same time.

If you want to break the buddy team rule please do it somewhere else.
Hey there's the whole bay available if you don't want to follow the rules at Lobos. There's enough people who cannot follow other simple rules much less this one. How often have you seen people try to enter over the rocks, land on the beach, harass marine life and collect shells. The rangers are just trying to make sure that the divers are safe and accounted for. Pt Lobos is not just for divers, we share this park with hikers, kayakers, bird watchers and all the other people.

Remember for better or worse diving at Lobos is a privilege and can be taken away from us if we are not responsible about our actions.

[/rant]

[/rant]

This thread was not intended as a forum to discuss team vs. solo diving.

My opening question was the origin of the paternalistic regulations enforced at the park. There are many other public diving locations that do not enforce these rules.

The logic of it is that as a guest of the park they will try their best to mount a rescue if you get in trouble. If you are solo the lifeguards and rangers have no idea where to begin their search. Provided yes you can have a mishap where both divers perish or are in need of rescuing but more often one rather than both divers in trouble at the same time.

Hey there's the whole bay available if you don't want to follow the rules at Lobos. There's enough people who cannot follow other simple rules much less this one. How often have you seen people try to enter over the rocks, land on the beach, harass marine life and collect shells. The rangers are just trying to make sure that the divers are safe and accounted for. Pt Lobos is not just for divers, we share this park with hikers, kayakers, bird watchers and all the other people.

Remember for better or worse diving at Lobos is a privilege and can be taken away from us if we are not responsible about our actions.

[/rant]

You keep your team diving laws off my body!!! :D

While I'm not advocating solo diving at Point Lobos, if you have access to a boat you can always do the "same ocean buddy" thing. As long as you motor out and back with your "buddy" you can pretty much do what you want.

I appreciate the insight. Your tactic still leaves divers having to enter and exit the park in buddy teams and dealing with all the bureaucratic logistics. I am not adverse to team diving, I just want to dive at Lobos without having to pass Healthcare Reform.

One thing that (IMO) would help is if the restriction was on the number of divers per day and not on the number of teams per day. In addition allowing teams of three. This is more logical to me.

As far as soloing it, not a big fan of the restriction but doesn't really bother me.

Oh and the reservation system just screams for automation. Heck, I'd even write it for free.

There seems to be some inconsistency in their system in regards to that. There own rules and regs page uses language that limits teams to two people. The reservation system only allows for two people's names to be entered, etc. So you've got a situation where Kenn's team has been getting two reservations for months for three people but Kathy was able to indicate a third person in the comments and only get charged for a reservation and a half.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom