Pt Lobos Friday 12-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bperc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I made reservations at Pt Lobos for Friday. The forecast is calling for 9 ft swells. Is Lobos dive-able with 9 ft swells? I am wondering if the swells will be very big at the launch ramp.

The ocean is always unpredictable. My guess it will fine. I have dove there when bigger swells were forecasted. The launch ramp is well protected and I've never had a problem getting in because of surges but it can get slippery when covered with algae.

Yesterday (Tuesday), while 46042 was reporting 10' swells, divers at Lobos were having a great time. I had two groups down there, and both came back reporting ~40' of visibility. They did mention having to buck some good swells on the swim out of the cove, but under the surface conditions were quite nice. I drove down for a few minutes to take a look at it and was surprised how little surge there was at the end of the ramp, this despite the huge spray being thrown up by the waves crashing into Granite Point. We had SSE winds on Tuesday, so that worked very much in our favor. Winds are out of the north today, but the swells have died down a bit from yesterday.

Looking at the long-term forecasts, the best day to go will be next Monday (!), next after that would be Thursday, and in 3rd place is Friday (which still looks pretty good). But none of them look as good as last Friday, which was in the "truly awesome" category.

Thank you for the update. I will check tomorrow and make the call.

It was great to meet you and JackCrow also. Yes I am glad that we went to dive on Friday. The conditions weren't the best with the strong surge, but we had a good time and saw some good stuff. The dolphins in the cove when we arrived at 8 AM was really cool. Wish I would have gotten a picture of them before they left.
IMG_4340.jpgIMG_4348.jpgIMG_4350.jpgIMG_4364.jpgIMG_4374.jpgIMG_4377.jpgIMG_4388.jpgIMG_4404.jpgIMG_4425.jpgIMG_4449.jpg

Back
Top Bottom