PST Tanks...Still Worth Buying???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope they do, my PST HP100s, will be due in three years, I don't want to loose them.

I talked with the folks at PST today and they assured me that the renewal for SP-9791 was submitted via email and snail mail. I provided them with the direct contact at dot.gov who handles special permit renewals. Fingers crossed on this one.

Nothing from PST as of today on the DOT website. I'll keep up on it.

The Canadian permit which expired in June of last year was renewed under SU 9294 on October 17 2014.
WB2GLP you can ignore my PM.

I just got an email from Power Scuba in San Diego that no application was fiked and PST was out of business.

See email content below

Any of you own PST (9791 series) tanks? Read on: This is very time sensitive, so please act quickly! This is regarding HYDROS for PST STEEL TANKS ONLY! The company, Pressed Steels, has gone out of business and therefore, there is no application on file with the Department of Transportation to renew the hydro permits that are needed for these particular tanks. If you have purchased a PST steel tank YOU MUST GET YOUR TANK HYDRO'ed BEFORE TUESDAY, JAN. 27TH IN ORDER TO RECEIVE YOUR LAST HYDRO. (Must have a 01@15 stamp in the metal.) This will allow you to at least use your tank for another 5 years. If you DO NOT bring in your tank before this date, you will NOT be able to get it hydro'ed again. This is the LAST TIME these tanks can be hydro'ed. To know if you have a PST steel tank that's up on the chopping block, please look for the following information that will be stamped on the neck of the tank: 1) It will be marked with E9791 or SP9791 2) It will say PST 3) The working pressure will be either 3442 or 3500 4) The tank will be gray, black, blue, or yellow

I just got an email from Power Scuba in San Diego that no application was fiked and PST was out of business.

See email content below

Any of you own PST (9791 series) tanks? Read on: This is very time sensitive, so please act quickly! This is regarding HYDROS for PST STEEL TANKS ONLY! The company, Pressed Steels, has gone out of business and therefore, there is no application on file with the Department of Transportation to renew the hydro permits that are needed for these particular tanks. If you have purchased a PST steel tank YOU MUST GET YOUR TANK HYDRO'ed BEFORE TUESDAY, JAN. 27TH IN ORDER TO RECEIVE YOUR LAST HYDRO. (Must have a 01@15 stamp in the metal.) This will allow you to at least use your tank for another 5 years. If you DO NOT bring in your tank before this date, you will NOT be able to get it hydro'ed again. This is the LAST TIME these tanks can be hydro'ed. To know if you have a PST steel tank that's up on the chopping block, please look for the following information that will be stamped on the neck of the tank: 1) It will be marked with E9791 or SP9791 2) It will say PST 3) The working pressure will be either 3442 or 3500 4) The tank will be gray, black, blue, or yellow

**yawn**
Please send your PST tanks to Florida.
They will still be in use long after your death at a ripe old age.

Chug
Enjoying the quasi annual PST tank hysteria.

Despite Chug wanting to get everyone to send their tanks to him, there seems to be a lot of disagreement about the current status of the exemption. Pressed Steel might not be making scuba tanks anymore, but the rights to the exemption seem to belong to PSI/PCI, the folks that teach everyone how to inspect tanks. Someone posted elsewhere that PSI has stated that the exemption renewal request had been submitted. DOT personnel seem to say they have no paperwork. I'm sure it will be worked out.

However, from a legal standpoint, just getting a hydro done before 1/31 doesn't do you any good. Without an exemption, the tanks are not legal to be used or filled. Even if the hydro and VIP are only a few days old. Whether any shop's gas jockey will know that and refuse to fill it is a different story. So that email from Power Scuba seems to be 100% inaccurate.

Despite Chug wanting to get everyone to send their tanks to him, there seems to be a lot of disagreement about the current status of the exemption. Pressed Steel might not be making scuba tanks anymore, but the rights to the exemption seem to belong to PSI/PCI, the folks that teach everyone how to inspect tanks. Someone posted elsewhere that PSI has stated that the exemption renewal request had been submitted. DOT personnel seem to say they have no paperwork. I'm sure it will be worked out.

However, from a legal standpoint, just getting a hydro done before 1/31 doesn't do you any good. Without an exemption, the tanks are not legal to be used or filled. Even if the hydro and VIP are only a few days old. Whether any shop's gas jockey will know that and refuse to fill it is a different story. So that email from Power Scuba seems to be 100% inaccurate.

Hmmm, Ken I know you are typically very well informed with this sort of thing, but Im not sure this post is accurate? Is it? I thought, and I could be wrong, that a tank can still be filled if within Hydro and that the exemption renewall is for continued Hydro's - not usage.

Can you post a link clarifying your point?

Once again, the SCUBA Industry has done its best to keep its "users" in the dark.....

PowerScuba update:

"[PowerScuba] Steel Tanks: Update

Jan 27, 2015, 11:46 AM

From Bill Powers

Details

Here are very recent updates on the steel tank issue from two SoCal shop owners:

New info this am from DOT concerning the PST Scuba cylinders DOT-E9791 / SP 9197 Series with pressures of 3500 / 3442. The Exemption and CFR were slightly ambiguous and we asked for complete clarification. Exemption: No person may use or apply this special permit, including display of its number, when this special permit has expired or is otherwise no longer in effect. Quoted from DOT: "The cylinders manufactured under the terms of the special permit may not be used after the permit has expired." Also, as we stated before, on 22 Jan DOT stated they had not heard from PST concerning a renewal..... As of this morning... 27 Jan, DOT states: "I’m in communication with the grantee of DOT-SP 9791, he insists he is going to request renewal. We’ll expedite his request if and when we receive it." Soooo, in the mean time.... all hydros of tanks received are in fact on hold.. the only ones we are doing right now are ones that already needed or were very close to, needing a new hydro. PST is out of business, that rumor is true but it sounds like someone has purchased the rights to all PST assets... At one time when they went under, PST owed much more than assets. It appears someone is attempting to keep it alive in some fashion.

I just now (Tues, 1/27 @ 9:30AM PST) got off the phone with Bob Darling of PST Cylinders, LLC (which is what Pressed Steel morphed into) and he assured me that he has filed the renewal paperwork as of yesterday. He said he was having some computer issues but they have been solved and this should go through. The renewal may not get approved prior to January 31 which is when the current one seems to expire (despite the fact that website says 2/28/2015) but the gap will likely be short because, as he told me, the sooner the renewal gets processed the sooner both he and the DOT will stop getting calls about it.

This link should allow you to track the progress of the renewal. Just type in "SP9791". Bob says he doesn't think anything will show up on the website until tomorrow: PHMSA - Home 

The other good news is that there's no fee on Bob's end to do this so he says he intends to continue to renew the SP down the road."

Cdemith
Believing in Chug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom