PST Tanks...Still Worth Buying???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this was posted in the technical diving subforum, so the comments were aimed at doubles. You mention still diving with weights in your semidry, so if you're still using weight, then it is no different than diving any other tank. If you're having trim problems, pick the tank up, the first stage should be in the crook of your neck when you lean your head back, should be no need for trim weights up that high.

With two of those tanks, even in a drysuit, it is very rare to require lead as they as are very heavy when they are empty and almost dangerously heavy when they are full. More than 30lbs negative with just the tanks/bands/gas.

The PST HP130s are 1lb positive each when empty (not counting valves/manifold, bands, regs, gas).

Ya my apologies for not assuming doubles. I'm not going to discuss my deep diving trim troubles in this thread as I don't want to take away from the topic at hand.

HP130's don't exist btw, they are E8-130's, PST never made 8" HP tanks

Just got my PST HP120's back from hydro. Passed with flying colors, they were drained for about 2 weeks prior to hydro, and they said they would have passed if they didn't do the prestretch on them, but scored perfectly during regular hydro, quite happy about that. I'd say they are still worth buying :)

HP130's don't exist btw, they are E8-130's, PST never made 8" HP tanks

Just got my PST HP120's back from hydro. Passed with flying colors, they were drained for about 2 weeks prior to hydro, and they said they would have passed if they didn't do the prestretch on them, but scored perfectly during regular hydro, quite happy about that. I'd say they are still worth buying :)

I have a PST HP 130 tank in my garage, it's 8" in diameter.

I have a PST HP 130 tank in my garage, it's 8" in diameter.

A TRUE HP tank is 3500PSI rated and has a 7/8" neck. An "HP" tank rated for 3442PSI is what PST actually made, which is the E8-130, not truly HP since it was a 3/4" tank neck.

you have an e8-130 that is rated for 3442. To my knowledge the only true HP tanks they made were the 65's, 80's, 100's, and 120's, the E series are all basically HP, but to keep them exempt from skinny necks and 300 bar DIN valves, they are rated to 3442, same as Worthington and Faber.

and my buddy beat me to that response, spot on.

A TRUE HP tank is 3500PSI rated and has a 7/8" neck. An "HP" tank rated for 3442PSI is what PST actually made, which is the E8-130, not truly HP since it was a 3/4" tank neck.

I didn't realize we were going to be so pedantic on definitions, in the real world, for all practical purposes, 3442 psi = 3500 psi = HP. I've never had a tank filled where the dive shop or boat crew filler took into account tank neck size.

it's not pedantic, it's federal law and DOT requirements, as well as distinguishing between two very different style of tanks.

3500psi tanks aren't legally allowed to have yoke valves on them, so they have different necks on them to make sure it doesn't happen. The importance of it is when buying used tanks because a "HP120" and a E7-120, while physically almost identical, are actually VERY different bottles. The 100's from PST are more similar in buoyancy characteristics, but it becomes even more important to distinguish when you add in the Worthington E7-100's which are quite different than the PST 100's either the E7 or the true HP tanks.
Now, this is only crucial when discussing the 80's, 100's, and 120's at 7.25" diameter, because PST never made the E8 series in HP tanks, but it is important to distinguish between the two properly, especially when discussing Worthington vs. PST vs. Faber's E-series bottles because far too often the "I have HP130's" comes up, but the PST130's are VERY VERY different than the Worthington 130's, sharing only a diameter and nominal tank capacity in common. All other specs are very different, height, weight, actual volume, buoyancy characteristics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom