PST tanks still a good choice or opt for others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old thread... PST (Pressed Steel Tanks) made the best hot dipped galvanized cylinders in the industry. I have hydro retested them in my shop for the past 15 years (I am a DOT Licensed retester) and NEVER had a failure on any of the PST cylinders, SCUBA, or any other cylinders they made. If a cylinder is not stretched before the 1st retest it will "fail" because the galv coating needs to be stretched the first time out. There is a PST Bulletin to this effect, and it calls for the retester to pressurize the cylinder to between 85% and 90% of the prescribed test pressure, then release it and then run the test to full retest pressure. Failure to do this on new cylinders not previously retested will result in failure unnecessarily, and the nuggs who ignore this fail perfectly good tanks because they don't read or understand. I retrieved 11 cylinders from a dive shop in Panama City Beach when the manger tols me they all failed hydro. They were failed by a local retester near PCB, (but not x'd out, thank God). I did an internal inspection, found little to no corrosion and took them to my facility in TN. I followed PST guidelines and they all passed and in fact their permanent expansion values were no where near the allowable permanent expansion limits. I returned them to the dive shop with current Hydro dates. There are a lot of uneducated folks working in the industry.

Hi @Hydrotech thank you for the reminder and clear explanation. Please don't wait another 10 years before posting again. :) While the facts of your post are known to some of the more knowledgeable members here, some of us retain it only in the back of our minds. If you have a copy of that bulletin, could you attach it here?

Lastly, and most important- Thank you for your military service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom