PST returns to dive market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hacker, thanks. I am waiting for a call back from PST but your post answered my questions.

They have gone belly up once and screwed their vendors for more than a million dollars. With Asahi, Faber, and Worthington all eating their lunch (and actually delivering product) how much market will be available for PST and can they survive on a diet.

royalediver:
They have gone belly up once and screwed their vendors for more than a million dollars. With Asahi, Faber, and Worthington all eating their lunch (and actually delivering product) how much market will be available for PST and can they survive on a diet.

Well, as long as they get cheap labor and no environmental issues overseas, they should be able to compete quite effectively...

They are about one really stupid move away from alienating the entire diving community, but if they can get the old E9791 and TC stamps taken over and maintained, and start being able to reliably deliver new product from overseas then they should be okay...

royalediver:

Don't worry. It is much huge than your expectation. There are a big potential Asia market including China, too. More common tanks have been Luxfer and Faber. MSC can have their own market.

BTW, I am not sure if Korean labor is cheap nowadays. Many factories have been moved to China and other worlds due to the high labor cost. For example, Hyundai labor cost in Korea is almost same as one in Alabama. :wink:

MSC = PST? Anybody can confirm it...

divinginn:
does this mean the price of tanks will go down?

nope, tanks (and regulators) will be climbing more in price for a while faster than ever before, raw material cost in alum, steel and brass has really taken a jump.

divinginn:

Nice try....:wink:

Have you ever seen any price down on the diving equipment?:D

BTW, I think there are many concerns that should be clarified...

1. MSC = PST?
2. NKCF will get any machinery equipment from PST? NK has done the clylinder business, not the newly built company. NKCF (new) is just the affiliates of NK. NK export $20 millon last year.
3. NKCF will make a finished product and simply export to the U.S. market.
4. DOT status? I am sure they will do something. Otherwise, they can't sell anything.. :wink:

divinginn:
Maybe for internet sales , LDS probably not.

Commodities like metals have topped out in international markets. Besides, the cost of steel in a tank is only a few dollars. For example, aluminum billets are more expensive than steel but aluminum tanks are cheaper. Shipping steel cylinders, however, can be expensive. Even so, given the mercantilist tendencies of Asian countries we might expect to see some "dumping".

cerich:
nope, tanks (and regulators) will be climbing more in price for a while faster than ever before, raw material cost in alum, steel and brass has really taken a jump.

I frankly don't care what happens to them as long as I can still legally and easily fill my $1000+ in PST tanks without issue in 2007. I have only had them for a year for crying out loud!

Back
Top Bottom